Thursday Storm Tree issue, and some ?'s

Guest db99wj

Guest db99wj

The tornado that hit out at the I-40-Germantown Pkw area (Wolfchase) started, maybe not as a tornado or one on the ground anyway, in midtown by East High school, along Poplar, and went diagonal toward the Wolfchase area. Well my house is in that general area. The wind's were strong enough to take down part of the only real tree I have in my yard, it was a Redbud tree. The tree leaned with 3 main beans going up, that kept it balanced, the one byitself is the one that broke, it actually went up and over the base of the tree and fell up against my house, damaging the gutter a little, only. What I mean by that, is that if it were to split and fall like it was suppose to, it would have landed right at my front door, so the wind pushed it pretty good to get it where it landed. Well I spent today, mostly in the rain, taking the rest of it down. A friend of mine down the street started helping me, brought his chainsaw, and within 20 minutes, sliced his knee open with the chainsaw. Nasty cut, jagged. My friend is in a wheelchair, so he didn't realize he cut himself, he knew the chainsaw came down on his leg, but he thought the bottom of it hit him....until the blood. So off he goes to the VA hospital, he's been there for at least 3 hours. No pain but a nasty cut. Here are some pics of the tree before and after.

DSCN3194.jpg?t=1249161348

Below you can see the direction it fell, it should have, according to gravity, fallen towards me.

DSCN3193.jpg?t=1249161526

IMG_1773.jpg?t=1249161865

IMG_1779.jpg?t=1249161942

Digging up roots

IMG_1783.jpg?t=1249161971

Only damage to the house thankfully.

IMG_1782.jpg?t=1249162244

And that is what it looks like right now. Ive tried to cut all the surface roots and are going/planning on trying to pull the stump out with my friends, who is at the hospital, F250. This is a redbud tree and the wood is soft, and roots fairly shallow with a shallow root ball. Think this will work?

If not, I will have a root grinder guy come out. How much does that usually run. I've heard around $50 for that size tree.????

I'm sore as hell.

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

My friend is back from the VA hospital, 5 stitches, stitched it loose since it was on the knee cap. He does have a little feeling in his legs, but felt no pain, when the doctor was numbing him, not sure why, and when they cleaned it, his nerves act weird and will involuntarily twitch...

Oh, and strick....:death:;)

Guest db99wj
You let your friend in a wheelchair cut up your tree????????

It was his chainsaw:shrug:...and only the limb that got blown down in the storm, because before we finished it, he cut himself and had to go to the hospital. I cut the rest down. :P

Guest canynracer

If not, I will have a root grinder guy come out. How much does that usually run. I've heard around $50 for that size tree.????

I'm sore as hell.

rent a grinder from home depot you pansy :tough:

Guest db99wj
in a wheelchair and chainsawed his knee? pretty wild if you ask me

Ahh, gotcha, wasn't sure what you meant. Yes, he is in a wheelchair, but that doesn't slow him down...at all.

rent a grinder from home depot you pansy :tough:

Didn't know they rented them goober.

Ever made any homemade explosives? Blow that sucker out of the ground!!!!!!!!

I'm in Memphis, the TACT squad, SWAT Team bomb squad, anti-terroist squad, elite black helicopter squad and whatever other squad/team would be showing up with guns drawn...:devil:

Guest db99wj
You could always cut it off closer to the ground and have a couple of camp fires on it.

Or a few pounds of Tannerite under it, but the neighbors might get upset. :tough:

Had to look that up....Yep, they would be upset.

Guest db99wj

Ok, the stump is roughly 24" across. Got a quote for cutting all the way down, moved to curb, and the rest ground for $125.

Whadyathink?

Ok, the stump is roughly 24" across. Got a quote for cutting all the way down, moved to curb, and the rest ground for $125.

Whadyathink?

Weigh that against the trouble you may run into trying to do it yourself, or with friends or relatives.

Some jobs I figure out that they will be over my head and I call the guy who will get it done quickly. This comes after a few jobs starting out to do them myself, only to wind up calling the man after I have gotten a few scrapes, bruises, and an increased vocabulary.

Whadyathink?

Call A&H Tree Service. They recently cut down a tree for me, and I was impressed. They charged $50 extra to grind the stump, although this may have been a discounted price since they were already cutting the tree down. Their stump grinder looked like a mammoth circular saw and was well worth the price of admission. That thing blew through our 2 ft diameter stump in 20-30 seconds.

Whadyathink?

What will a rental grinder from Home Depot cost? Do they charge extra for damage? What's your time worth? Do you really want the stump gone that bad?

I think that's a fair price to do the job. If you do it yourself, put some plywood in front of the house windows. I'd try to avoid grinding toward the street, if there is anything embedded in the stump you could do some damage to passing or parked cars.

I've got an old peach tree stump in my yard. It's only a couple of inches tall, wouldn't take much to grind it out. I've left it alone so far, because it just doesn't bother me that much. I may have a fire on top of it one of these days.

If you know the roots are shallow and there's no tap root, you might do well if you dig around it a lot and pull it with the truck.

Guest db99wj

Did not see a rental at Homedepot online, they had a list of what they had available. The truck thing, we hook up, pull, it doesn't move, I pay to have it ground up. Don't like large circular saws spitting stuff out in a packed in tight neighbor hood.

If you do decide to "pull" the stump...(waiting for strickj to jump in here)...you might want to make sure your water lines, electric lines, or sewer lines, aren't in the root area before you start.

If it were me, I would flush cut the stump and get some stump remover stuff from Vermeer.

Guest Jcochran88

Well if you decide to use a proffessional, make sure they have liabilty insurance just in case they bust a window or cut a water/sewer line.