Peformance Evaluations - 360 degree eval

Guest 3pugguy

Have you participated in a 360 degree evaluation process?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you participated in a 360 degree evaluation process?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, but I know what it is
    • I would be interested in learning about 360 evals

Guest 3pugguy

Hello,

I would like to know how many of you have done or participated in a 360 degree evaluation and if you thought it worked or not? Please take the brief poll. Thanks!

When the poll closes on 8/10, I will put up some links for info on what, how, etc, on the process.

Edited by 3pugguy
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy

Hi Muttlin,

I would agree to a point and that point is if the eval is "standing alone". But, if it is part of an ingrained and supported culture and managers are actually taught to manage versus the "traditonal" way - "Hey, John, you're now the manager on second shift. Go get 'em" - it can be a good tool.

Note I use the word tool, cause if any of use could EVER figure out how to sort out every workplace issue, we could buy Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

My interest is not so much a pure 360 eval because they can be structured in a variety of ways, but how the IDEA of training/teaching/mentoring managers could establish a culture where they would be secure enough to take constructive input from all sectors.

Sorry - I am rambling! But thanks for taking time to respond.

Edited by 3pugguy
Guest Muttling
Hi Muttlin,

I would agree to a point and that point is if the eval is "standing alone". But, if it is part of an ingrained and supported culture and managers are actually taught to manage versus the "traditonal" way - "Hey, John, you're now the manager on second shift. Go get 'em" - it can be a good tool.

Note I use the word tool, cause if any of use could EVER figure out how to sort out every workplace issue, we could buy Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

My interest is not so much a pure 360 eval because they can be structured in a variety of ways, but how the IDEA of training/teaching/mentoring managers could establish a culture where they would be secure enough to take constructive input from all sectors.

Sorry - I am rambling! But thanks for taking time to respond.

The places where I've seen it "work" are places where the managers were good enough to be seeking feedback to start with and it was just a formal version of something they already did.

At other places, the managers were pretty arrogant and were going to run things their way no matter what was said to them.

I'll have to agree with Muttling. Worked in HR for 8 years and performance management was one of my areas of expertise. If it's going to work, the culture's already in place and it will be a useful tool. However, if the culture's not there, it's DOA.

Guest 3pugguy
The places where I've seen it "work" are places where the managers were good enough to be seeking feedback to start with and it was just a formal version of something they already did.

At other places, the managers were pretty arrogant and were going to run things their way no matter what was said to them.

That is where I think several of us are are in agreement (and the point another poster makes on company culture) and why I am curious.

I agree with some of the stated views on evaluations in general and 360 specifically, but think the reason evals get such a bad rap is they are, in my opinion, all too often pro-forma and not used as intended. I would also posit an evaulation, i.e. annual review, should never be a surprise, but rather, a final version to formalize the results of ongoing feedback, adjustments, improvments, and accomplishments of an individual from the year past. That is, managers should give ongoing guidance to employees and should also point out the times people are doing good (I think it is Blanchard, et al, who assert the idea of "catching people doing something right") and simply do a wrapup of what has been done all year long.

The realist in me understands this is not happening and why employees and managers alike roll their eyes at the idea of performance evaluations.

Am I living in la la land? Nope, cause I do know of places that do effective employee development, including feedback and evals; they are successful, people want to work there, and the people grow professionally - often to the point of going to other opportunities because they HAVE grown and are ready to move on, with the support of their employers! The people move on and take with them ideas of proven, positive things that can and should be done in making and growing a profitiable company.

I go back to one of my main issues with the workplace today (one guy's view): there is little to no attention or thought given to the fact that people aren't born knowing how to be effective and efficient managers. Born leaders - yes, I think some have a natural ability to lead, but need training to develop as managers.

Again, sorry I get on a roll, but with so many jobs being moved off-shore and the other BS I see due to my industry position, I am taking a renewed interest in what is working and why and doing some research to back up, prove or disprove, what I believe is occurring.

Anyway, thanks to any/everyone who responds - this is by no stretch a scientific or statistically validated poll (I would put something up on Survey Monkey if I was getting that serious and run it thru all the fun controls post-survey), but I am curious on the views of others who work/manage/are in the or have been in the workplace, both military and civilian - and who better to poll than those with whom I have in common an interest in firearms?

AMEN, 3pugguy! One of the reasons I left HR was the fact I was "surprised" by my worst evaluation in, at that time, 21 year career. Since then, I've moved into a financial position and my current boss actually does probably the most effective evaluation that I've experienced.

I'm afraid that most companies think themselves to be "enlightened" but still subscribe to the "cog in the machine" theory of management.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 3pugguy
AMEN, 3pugguy! One of the reasons I left HR was the fact I was "surprised" by my worst evaluation in, at that time, 21 year career. Since then, I've moved into a financial position and my current boss actually does probably the most effective evaluation that I've experienced.

I'm afraid that most companies think themselves to be "enlightened" but still subscribe to the "cog in the machine" theory of management.

my fellow TGO member is I am in talks to maybe do some training ventures with an old friend and my part would be (initially) doing the 360 eval for managers. The why, why not, etc.

See, I share many of the opinions (negative) about "feel good" ideas, because they are generally rolled out in response to a C-level's latest fad. But I know, from practical experience and a lot of research on performance, work place issues, etc, that some things will work. The must haves are top down support and quite frankly, a culture that will not tolerate those who choose to be "why change we've always done it this way" types (you know, like politicians, ha ha). I am always of the view things can be better - look at gun laws. The supporters and lobbyist, such as our NRA, take the cause and work it and work it. Some things get thru, some don't, but they keep after it. Same with work place issues; things don't have to suck, evals and reviews don't have to be a worthless exercise, and those who do the work can and should be the ones with the greatest influence.

I highly recommend reading "GUNG HO!" as an example of a company that changed. Never give in, never give up...

So for the few who took a moment to answer my non-scientific poll, I appreciate it. If I go thru with my venture, maybe I will try to blog here if anyone is really bored at night and wants to read it; time will be an issue as I will still have my "real" job and I am not sure I will even be able to write these boring posts (but have to make time to read the entertaining and informative posts on 2nd Amendment and other great threads)!

Thanks again fellow TGO'ers and shoot 'em straight and 'til the mag is empty (then reload, repeat...).

B

Edited by 3pugguy