Not my shining moment...

Guest Len

I went to a store today I don't usually go to. In fact, this was my first time at this location. I parked on the side of the building and got out of my car. As I was walking from the car to the front door, a couple of "suspicious-looking" types appeared in front of me -between me and the door. As I was coming home from work, I was un-armed (no guns on state property). I saw I was walking to the front of the building in such a way that I would have been trapped between a barrier and the "suspicious-looking types," so I changed my path, arched back into the driveway and unfolded my knife sitting in my right pants pocket -keeping the blade inside my pocket.

Of course, the bad guys were not, just two grubby-looking guys going to the same store I was. A total non-event.

Two lessons learned:

1) I feel a bit of shame for doing some "profiling." These two got my guard up for no other reason than the way they looked.

2) No gun! I don't carry at work (can't due to the law) and I don't like leaving a gun in my car. So, all I had here was a 3" blade to defend myself with if it came to that.

I have decided tonight to look into secure, locking, hidden, gun storage for vehicles. I know such are out there, and now I'm going to get one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better safe than sorry.

Profiling is not bad, Doctors do it every day, along with every other thinking creature on the planet. Just because its not PC does not mean that its not smart. Actually now that I think about it the less PC something is usually the smarter it is and vise versa.

I have ran into a few situations like this myself. Mine was leaving a concert and we had a rowdie group gather around our bus. (old church bus used to take impared people to events rather than have them DUI, not hippie band bus.) I was not familiar with the vehicle and not owning it I did not want to take the chance of leaving my gun there.

I would recomend finding a place to store the gun in your vehicle or try to avoid stops, depending on travel from work to home. If those are not option, brush up on some hand to hand or edged weapon use. Formal training is good but just hunt around on the net and you can find videos. Of course an edged weapon isnt the greatest choice, but when there is no other option, use what you have.

• Administrator

I profile people daily. It's called being vigilant and it keeps you from becoming a statistic.

Tell me; how did you feel during that moment when you realized that you were unarmed because permit holders are unable to legally carry on certain properties?

:lol:

Len, we are going to have to get you deprogrammed. :D

Profiling is like stereotyping. It may not be "nice" but it generally has an element of truth. It's just one of the sensible techniques we use to stay alive.

You need to send your story to all of your Democrat political friends and suggest some sensible changes in the gun laws. :lol:

Profiling is like stereotyping. It may not be "nice" but it generally has an element of truth. It's just one of the sensible techniques we use to stay alive.

You need to send your story to all of your Democrat political friends and suggest some sensible changes in the gun laws. :lol:

AMEN brother

Like I do everytime I am unarmed...

Just a bit "naked." :lol:

I profile people daily. It's called being vigilant and it keeps you from becoming a statistic.

Tell me; how did you feel during that moment when you realized that you were unarmed because permit holders are unable to legally carry on certain properties?

:D

I thought about this event more after I posted last night. My intial feeling was that I reacted ("profiled") based on race (the two were Hispanic). For this, I felt bad. However, looking back on it, I think there was more. Both of these people made eye contact with me and had mean looks on their faces -like they were angry with me. I think this is what caused me to get my guard up, more so than the race factor. At least I hope that's what it was. If we "profile" based on more than just race -if we take into account the context, the non-verbal behaviors of the "suspects," the relationship we may/may not have with the people involved and so forth, then we are being smart. I originally felt I was not being smart, but being racist. I feel better about it now upon further reflection and from reading the comments here.

As far as deprogramming goes, I was just thinking the same about you guys!! :D

Finally, most of my Dem friends support the sensible changes in gun laws you refer to. I will once again say the rabid anti-gunner is usually an urban issue, not a party issue. I've met Republican anti-gunners. None here in TN, mind you.

Guest EasilyObsessed

I would say you reacted just as you should have.

Im in the same situation in regards to not being able to have a gun at work. In several instances, I have done exactly what you did. Id rather be a bit paranoid and "profile" then end up getting myself into a bad situation.

Think of the world as one big jungle. Would you not watch an animal that looked poisonous (King snake vs Coral snake for example) a bit closer for aggressive activity?

You did fine. That feeling of being disarmed sucks though.

To me this situation has some humor in it.:D :D

Len says

Both of these people made eye contact with me and had mean looks on their faces

Now to me as a casual observer of this situation what I see is this.:lol: Here are two ethnic males coming up on a white man. These two have their eyes up and heads on a swivel. Simply being aware of their surroundings.

Unless I see it wrong they were profiling you and were putting on their "tough :grouchy:act" to keep the man from messing with them.

Sounds like all three of you did a good job or that all three of you are overly paranoid.

Also a guess is they work for the state and were worried they weren't packing either.

Len, I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you get an appropriate cap to wear when you have to get out of your car before retrieving your carry gun? You could eve wear it into your office and irritate the stupid. :lol:

It would be better if you could wear a H&K cap, but a Glock cap, though obviously inherently inferior, would probably do. :D

Actually, I'm not kidding about the cap thing. Wear the cap and look them in the eyes and I doubt you will ever have a problem. And a Glock cap would be better than a H&K cap. Thugs probably don't know what a H&K is.

I have decided tonight to look into secure, locking, hidden, gun storage for vehicles. I know such are out there, and now I'm going to get one.

I've looked into this a little bit myself, because I'm in the same boat you are Len. I am frequently on state property (metro schools, colleges and various other gov't building) for work.

Depending on the year/make/model of your vehicle there are several "kits" that I have found that would probably work very well. Unfortunately none of the ones that I have found will work for me. The next best thing that I have found is probably http://www.gunvault.com/handgunsafesminivaultstandard/

I have several "appropriate" caps (including a Glock cap) that I have worn with the extra benefit of irritating others. Its fun. I also occasionally wear an old-style boonie hat. You should see the looks I get sometimes...

I look awful in ball caps, but I love my boonie -keeps the sun away and makes people think I'm a disturbed vet.

Len, I have a suggestion for you. Why don't you get an appropriate cap to wear when you have to get out of your car before retrieving your carry gun? You could eve wear it into your office and irritate the stupid. :lol:

It would be better if you could wear a H&K cap, but a Glock cap, though obviously inherently inferior, would probably do. :D

Actually, I'm not kidding about the cap thing. Wear the cap and look them in the eyes and I doubt you will ever have a problem. And a Glock cap would be better than a H&K cap. Thugs probably don't know what a H&K is.

I've got one of these for under the bed. Love it. Wont fit under the seat of my car, nor will the console vault fit in my console. (Manufacturers seem to think that gun owners all drive trucks...)

A buddy of mine claims to have something appropriate for me, so I'll be checking it out this week.

If I find a nice solution, I will post to the board.

I've looked into this a little bit myself, because I'm in the same boat you are Len. I am frequently on state property (metro schools, colleges and various other gov't building) for work.

Depending on the year/make/model of your vehicle there are several "kits" that I have found that would probably work very well. Unfortunately none of the ones that I have found will work for me. The next best thing that I have found is probably http://www.gunvault.com/handgunsafesminivaultstandard/

but I love my boonie -keeps the sun away and makes people think I'm a disturbed vet.

Unfortunately, many of the disturbed veterans at the local VA center do wear boonies.

Of course, I love them too. Wore one in to see General Abrams once in Saigon. I'll let it go at that.

Guest Phantom6

...Wore one in to see General Abrams once in Saigon. I'll let it go at that.

Don't tell me you neglected to remove your cover when entering General Abrams' office. :D

Hey Len, this Security Pistol Pack is what I use and I'm tickled with it. I lock it around my seat mount and since it's completely portable I can use it with any of our vehicles that I happen to be driving at the time. A BG would look pretty stupid walking down the street with a truck or car seat because he or she would have to take the whole seat out to get this baby. Even if that should happen, it would still be attached to the seat frame unless he is carrying a fair sized pair of bolt cutters which would look suspicious as well. One of the other fine features of this security pack is that it's only $55 USD. I'm not likely to leave my pistol in a locked vehicle with out one.

BTW, I know several professors/instructors that pack at work. A couple at the local community college and a 3-4 at UTK. One of them, an attorney, said since he had to breathe in order to peruse his career at the university, he intended to take advantage of every opportunity to continue breathing at all times. :)

Guest bluecanary25

I do not know if this will suit your needs.

I too, dislike leaving a firearm in my vehicle.

Maybe this link will have something useful, or give you food for thought....

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/311_New+Exciting+Products/6955_The+Perfect+In-Car+Gun+Safe/?return=%3f

I have never seen this device and cannot attest to its durability.

But, it is something I have been thinking of for my wife's car.