ISO The perfect carry .40 cal

THE COOP

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried out a G23 as I was considering a .40 based on a friend's recommendation, but went with it's 9MM brother, the G19. Both the G19 and G23 come in a compensated model, if kick on compact is a consideration; pricing for the G23C, with night sights, was aroudn 640 at one place, if I recall correctly (don't know if that is a good price - I did not go with a compensated G19).

Same size as the G19 though - conceals well IWB (I rarely go IWB) or OWB with a loose shirt (normal disclaimer, not a knit polo or "clingy"). I used a blackhawk and use the paddle option.

So if looking for compact, not sub-compact, I would recommend trying one out and on for size (I also looked at the nice line of Sprinfields and it was a tough choice between them and the Glocks; all nice hand guns, just liked the Glock a little more).

I am over in Clarksville and go to Nashville on occassion during the week and you would be more than welcome to try the G19 just to get a feel for the size and then could look at or find a G23 to try; I will be up in Nashville again Tuesday (8/4); I will be over in the Donelson area that day - not sure what ranges may be close but again you are welcome to try - just send me a PM and I will give you my work email and cell number.

Hey thanks for the offer and maybe over the weekend we could do that but my week is pretty full with a gun purchase 2morro (1911 RIA full size) and next weekend is when I buy my new .40 cal compact!!! Very cool offer and thanks!!! COOP

I don't get it. What's wrong with carrying the M&P 40 every day? I do and I have no problems. Full size gun, IWB or OWB. It sounds like you already have the perfect carry gun but you're not seeing it for some reason.

You have a very valid point, I really love my M&P, probably the finest gun I've ever owned and I carry it all the time around the house and yard getting used to carry and waiting for my CHP, it is a bit big for concealment in my opinion, the M&P .40c is at the top of my list since I already have one but to be honest the XD .40 subcompact and the P239 and maybe the Glock are my 3 favorites, I want a alloy framed gun but price comes into play and the XD will probably be the compact I buy. Now with that said if any other TGO members have one of these guns in great shape I dont mind buying used and I have cash so send me a PM on what you got. Again thanx for all the advise all and hope to see you at the range!!!! COOP

• Administrator

I don't want to be guilty of convincing a guy not to buy another gun, because that's just crazy talk, but I would like to point out that depending on how large your hands are, the M&P 40c and 9c both have such short grips on them that they can make hasty mag changes fairly painful.

The grip is so short that a good portion of your palm may overlap the bottom of the magazine well. While this isn't much of a problem while shooting, if you have to reload fast you're probably going to get some skin pinched off in the process of slamming the fresh magazine home.

I didn't do this in a "fight" but it did happen to me at the house while practicing reloads with empty mags and I still have a bit of a scar to prove it. I traded the M&P 40c off after that and worked my way back toward a Glock 19/23 for a compact carry gun.

We dug my nightstand 2nd Gen G22 out of the ground in the backyard where it had been driven about 18" into the ground by a not so friendly force 4 tornado last year. The work crew found it while grading three different houses out of said yard. I washed it out in the shower. Dissassembled it and soaked it in Simply Green, rinsed it again in a sieve in the shower. I then soaked everything in CLP overnight, dried everything (rag and blowdryer!) , put it back together and then fired 500 rounds through it with no problems . I traded it in a couple of months ago for a 3rd Gen G23 as I needed a smaller version for CCW.

I am a diehard S&W revolver guy , but I will always have at least one Glock! Nothing else, except wife, me and the cat survived the tornado treatment, but the Glock came sailing on through. I could almost believe the Russians built it!

We dug my nightstand 2nd Gen G22 out of the ground in the backyard where it had been driven about 18" into the ground by a not so friendly force 4 tornado last year. The work crew found it while grading three different houses out of said yard. I washed it out in the shower. Dissassembled it and soaked it in Simply Green, rinsed it again in a sieve in the shower. I then soaked everything in CLP overnight, dried everything (rag and blowdryer!) , put it back together and then fired 500 rounds through it with no problems . I traded it in a couple of months ago for a 3rd Gen G23 as I needed a smaller version for CCW.

I am a diehard S&W revolver guy , but I will always have at least one Glock! Nothing else, except wife, me and the cat survived the tornado treatment, but the Glock came sailing on through. I could almost believe the Russians built it!

Man that is testimony!

I have a G27 in 40SW. I have a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I have G26 mags, I have G19 mags with fillers, I have G23 mags with fillers and I am thinking of picking up a G33 barrel in 357Sig. So basically with one frame I can build a 27,26,33 or a short barrel G23,19 or 32

I would like to know what you think of these conversions and would you carry one of the converted barrels, or do you carry only the stock barrels. I have heard some say they do not recommend carrying the wolf barrels, but like to range shoot with them.

I am also considering lessening the recoil on my 23 with a different spring.

All that after having Robar lessen the grip width. The Glock just doesn't fit my hand well, but the alternatives are to me poorer in other areas. XD and M&P fit me better, but I think their triggers suck. Love HK, I carry a P7M8, but the new HK's have such a high bore sight radius it takes tremendous trigger time to become proficient. Same with Sig, I carried a 228 for many years, great gun too high a bore sight radius.

I love the 23 and 27 for its durability and low bore sight radius, but honestly if I had it to do again I would buy the 9. I prefer the 9 or 45 to the 40.

I would like to know what you think of these conversions and would you carry one of the converted barrels, or do you carry only the stock barrels. I have heard some say they do not recommend carrying the wolf barrels, but like to range shoot with them.

I love the 23 and 27 for its durability and low bore sight radius, but honestly if I had it to do again I would buy the 9. I prefer the 9 or 45 to the 40.

There are those that do not think a lone wolf barrel is as reliable as a Glock factory barrel. I do not agree and I have had no trouble out of mine. If you want true conversion you can also pick up a 9mm ejector (I believe the extractor is the same) and any other part that is actually different, and change them in just a few minutes with nothing but a push punch. No hitting required. The 357 Sig barrel (I have not bought it yet) would be a factory barrel and since it is based on the 40sw there are no parts to change. The reason I have not done it is I have a lot of 40sw carry ammo and no 357Sig ammo. If I trade into some, I may shell out the $125 for the barrel.

One more thing on the 9mm conversion. If I knew I never wanted to shoot 40sw or 357 sig, then just get a G26, but I got the conversion to shoot lots of 9mm lead bullet reloads. It is working out fine so far. I have no plans to carry the gun in 9mm, though I would not be afraid to. I have other 9mm's for that.

I am also considering lessening the recoil on my 23 with a different spring.

All that after having Robar lessen the grip width. The Glock just doesn't fit my hand well, but the alternatives are to me poorer in other areas. XD and M&P fit me better, but I think their triggers suck. Love HK, I carry a P7M8, but the new HK's have such a high bore sight radius it takes tremendous trigger time to become proficient. Same with Sig, I carried a 228 for many years, great gun too high a bore sight radius.

I personally think the lone wolf barrels are a step sideways if not up. they are full supported and have traditional rifling, so lead is not an issue.

Guest Jeremey

I put a Glock 23 in the back of the safe to daily carry an M&P 40. The glock hasn't seen daylight in months. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Glock. It never malfunctions, but I seem to shoot better with the M&P. I get on target faster with the M&P drawing from a holster as well. The Glock just doesnt seem to fit my hand as well. I agree with TGO David, my M&P 9c has pinched me enough times on reloads that I tend to only carry it for deep concealment where I am not carrying extra mags. My full size M&P 40 actually conceals pretty easy in a Galco IWB holster, sure you can tell there is something there when I am only wearing a T-shirt and you look hard enough, but nobody to this date has ever noticed that I know of. I once pulled up at Cracker Barrell at 6:00 am only to be greeted by 2 Shelby County officers due the place being robbed 10 minutes earlier. Stood there and held a conversation with them for 15 minutes and I dont think either one of them noticed.

Update!!! The search is officially over, today I bought a Sig P239 from Guns and Leather (Thanks Daniel) 100 rounds through it flawlessly, I also picked up a IWB holster and the gun conceals perfect, I', in shock about the amount of recoil the gun doesnt have, very smooth and just so everyone know the reason I went with the Sig is because I wanted an Alloy framed gun and the P239 fit the bill perfect.

On a side not, last night I also picked up a low dollar P6, early 80's west Germany Sig in 9 mill, wow!! another great gun and the 9 shoots like a dream, so it's been a double SIG weekend!!!! Does life get any better? Thanks everyone for all the advise and opinions. COOP