ISO The perfect carry .40 cal

THE COOP

Pretty much says it all, so I have my 2 .45's and both are entry level 1911's, I also have my M&P .40 full size so I'm looking for the perfect carry .40, Everything comes into play, size, weight, reliability, price and looks!!! Yes, I want it to look good, you cant tell me that a Kimber doesnt look good because it DOES!!! So who has what and what do you think is the perfect carry .40? COOP

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the SIG P239-40-TSS. Single stack (7+1), nite sights, good size for carry, needs new grips (Hogue wrap arounds on mine) and extra mags.

Accurate, reliable, between most compacts and sub-compacts in size.

SA/DA with decocker and bob'd hammer.

Around $730 to $780 most places.

So what are your considerations?? Any manufactures you refuse to purchase from?? Full size, compact or sub-compact??

For a compact or sub compact...

I'd say a G27 or a Springfield XD40.....easy maintence, not a pistol you need to worry about keeping in pristine condition, great for all types of weather, easily concealable, light weight, both are work horses and both have great proven track records and both are right now under $550

I have a Kimber Pro Carry but my Glock26 is what I carry every day.

BTW....some Kimbers do look like :)!! ;)

The M&P would be if it were G23 size. This is a highly personal preference question, but my pick would be the CZ P07 when it comes out in .40. SA cocked and locked in a polymer frame, G23 size, great ergo's, low bore axis, and capacity.

Of course it isn't out yet .....so the Glock 23.:)

Edited by Smith

The XD compact/subcompact and the Glock 27/23 are on my short list, I would rather have a XDM compact but they done exist yet, also if you read my post from the other week when a brand new XD broke in my hands after 30 rounds. Also to be honest I've been doing a lot of Glock reading and only have 1 issue with them, THEY ARE BUTT UGLY!!!! IMHO!!! I know ugly can save your life but I'm not sure I'm ready to switch to the dark side yet (NEWBEE) and would like a little extra safety, thanks for the opinions and keep them coming!!!! COOP

Guest abailey362

the xdm is made to be a range/sport gun. If they cut down the grip it would loose one of it's key points, which is capacity.

If that's what you are wanting, I'd suggest going with a compact model (4" slide) and upgrading to a match grade barrel. There are plenty of coices out there for that.

The XD compact/subcompact and the Glock 27/23 are on my short list, I would rather have a XDM compact but they done exist yet, also if you read my post from the other week when a brand new XD broke in my hands after 30 rounds. Also to be honest I've been doing a lot of Glock reading and only have 1 issue with them, THEY ARE BUTT UGLY!!!! IMHO!!! I know ugly can save your life but I'm not sure I'm ready to switch to the dark side yet (NEWBEE) and would like a little extra safety, thanks for the opinions and keep them coming!!!! COOP

How are XD's not ugly but a Glock is?? They both look like bricks with handles???? ;) Neither is sexy, both are functional work horses!!

As far as the saftey issue with Glocks......there aren't any. Not sure why so many people are afraid that these things will go bang on thier own. :)

Sure there are idiots and accidents that happen, but there have been more mishaps and accidents with 1911's then any other pistol. (of course they've been out longer than with Glocks)

Remember, you have to litterly pull the trigger fully to the rear to make a Glock go band. You can throw it on the ground, drop it off your house, run over it with your car, and it will not go bang. The biggest thing to remember about a Glock is, if ya do drop your gun, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CATCH IT.

Glocks rock as do XD's.......for most it's the fit and feel of the weapon. Purchase what is comfortable for you as you will be trusting your life to it.

Edited by kwe45919
Guest m4coyote

You are seeking something that is difficult to find! Cheap, pretty, high quality, and dependable are great attributes, but all of these qualities probably do not exist in the same package.

For quality, looks, and ease of carry, look at the Sig 239 or the Kahr P40 - K40. Both of these have all the qualities you are looking for, except for cheapness of purchase. The Kahr pistols are one of the easiest to carry, because of their diminutive size. The K40 with walnut grips, in stainless or DLC is pretty, very accurate, easy to conceal, but is not cheap. The polymer frame P40 is basically the same gun, but much lighter. The Sig 239 is quite a bit thicker, but it has the quality, accuracy, dependability, and beauty you are looking for, but is also not cheap.

Other than those, look at a Glock 23 or 27. Those models rock as far as dependability, accuracy, and quality. Their beauty is questioned by some, but their performance is difficult to deny. I prefer the G23 & G27 over the compact XD models because they are not as thick, and are easier to conceal. The G23 is roughy the same size as the Smith & Wesson M&P compact .40, but it has a greater ammo capacity. Another choice would be a .40 Walther P99 compact AS. I feel that the P99 is prettier than most most other polymer frame guns, and the quality & performance is definitely there.

It really boils down to which individual qualities you are willing to sacrifice, and which ones are the most important to you.

+1 for the G27. I have tried many, many different guns and I keep coming back. I added a belt clip and trigger block so I just stick it in my belt, no holster. Sometimes, if I am in jeans, I just put it in my back pocket. I have large hands with short fingers so the Sig 239 never appealed to me as the grip is too short. I have a P6/225 but only available in 9mm. I have had SW 4013tsw single stack, compact 1911's, CZ PO1, HP's, on and on. Hard to beat a G27.

Wow!!! Great info from all of you, I've got a little spread sheet with all the guns listed with the weight, length, price, rating and going through all the info thoroughly, I think the trend seems to be XD/GLOCK/SIG. My lists also includes S&W, CZ, HK, KAHR, WALTER. Now I'll go to the gunshop and do some touchy feely!!!! Thanks all and feel free to add any more info!!! COOP

Guest johnmattwill
another 239 vote. That is my daily carry... I switch between carrying it in 40 and 357 sig.

I love Sigs and owned a Sig P239 in .40 S&W with CT grips... A great, accurate handgun but not for me.... When you hear the description of a handgun or caliber being "snappy", that is what I experienced with the P239 in .40 S&W......

Went back to owning .45 ACP and will never go back!!!! :tough:

Guest 3pugguy
Pretty much says it all, so I have my 2 .45's and both are entry level 1911's, I also have my M&P .40 full size so I'm looking for the perfect carry .40, Everything comes into play, size, weight, reliability, price and looks!!! Yes, I want it to look good, you cant tell me that a Kimber doesnt look good because it DOES!!! So who has what and what do you think is the perfect carry .40? COOP

I tried out a G23 as I was considering a .40 based on a friend's recommendation, but went with it's 9MM brother, the G19. Both the G19 and G23 come in a compensated model, if kick on compact is a consideration; pricing for the G23C, with night sights, was aroudn 640 at one place, if I recall correctly (don't know if that is a good price - I did not go with a compensated G19).

Same size as the G19 though - conceals well IWB (I rarely go IWB) or OWB with a loose shirt (normal disclaimer, not a knit polo or "clingy"). I used a blackhawk and use the paddle option.

So if looking for compact, not sub-compact, I would recommend trying one out and on for size (I also looked at the nice line of Sprinfields and it was a tough choice between them and the Glocks; all nice hand guns, just liked the Glock a little more).

I am over in Clarksville and go to Nashville on occassion during the week and you would be more than welcome to try the G19 just to get a feel for the size and then could look at or find a G23 to try; I will be up in Nashville again Tuesday (8/4); I will be over in the Donelson area that day - not sure what ranges may be close but again you are welcome to try - just send me a PM and I will give you my work email and cell number.

Guest mikedwood

I find beauty in fuction and so I carry the G26 I think it's perfect in everyway.

:D

Sorry it's not a .40 but I have some 9mm stuff and a 45 as well. I'm just not in the mood for another caliber.

I have a G27 in 40SW. I have a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I have G26 mags, I have G19 mags with fillers, I have G23 mags with fillers and I am thinking of picking up a G33 barrel in 357Sig. So basically with one frame I can build a 27,26,33 or a short barrel G23,19 or 32

• Administrator

I don't get it. What's wrong with carrying the M&P 40 every day? I do and I have no problems. Full size gun, IWB or OWB. It sounds like you already have the perfect carry gun but you're not seeing it for some reason.