Flying with Handguns

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Be careful, lock that b!tch up tight! The only thing I ever worry about is one of the baggage people stealing it. If they can break open locks on our bags to search for stuff, I'd be afraid they just snatch it right up.

Do they place different rules on this to where it's tracked differently?

I haven't traveled with mine on SW, but I have on other airlines. Just follow their proceedures and all will be fine. It's actually pretty simple.

Make sure you have a tough, stury case! Everything that goes into cargo will get tossed around. If you have a goood case and lock, your weapon should be protected.

Guest logicprevails

Hah. Last time I flew, I went ahead and disassembled the pistol prior to check in to be on the safe side. Complete field strip. The person checking me in asked me to show her that it was unloaded.

Yeah, I've got a good, small Pelican case and some good packing materials. I guess the airlines are SUPER careful that they aren't stolen, since the serial numbers are recorded (by me and in my luggage) it'll get back to them eventually. That's what insurance is for, I guess.

I'm doing one of my twice-annual photography ventures, capturing "urban decay" for a fun series. My oldest son from Atlanta is meeting me there, and we'll be together in the deep inner city of Detroit for two days. I thought about going to Iraq instead, but that seemed too safe. :drama:

Just make sure you allow a little extra time. You have to stand by while the TSA person sends your bag through the X-ray until they give you the thumbs up to proceed to your gate. Other than that, it's nothing. They will ask you to open up your case, might ask if you if it's unloaded, or they might not, but I believe they're supposed to.

Guest SUNTZU

Flying with children? This guide is perfect for helping your young one understanding what his responsibilities are on his first flight.

myfirstcavitysearch.jpg

Guest HexHead
Be careful, lock that b!tch up tight! The only thing I ever worry about is one of the baggage people stealing it. If they can break open locks on our bags to search for stuff, I'd be afraid they just snatch it right up.

Do they place different rules on this to where it's tracked differently?

Friend of mine had a Rolex Submariner stolen from a "locked" checked bag by a TSA inspector. Turned into a huge hassle for him as they're only on the hook for up to $250 / bag.

Guest HexHead
Yeah, I've got a good, small Pelican case and some good packing materials. I guess the airlines are SUPER careful that they aren't stolen, since the serial numbers are recorded (by me and in my luggage) it'll get back to them eventually. That's what insurance is for, I guess.

I'm doing one of my twice-annual photography ventures, capturing "urban decay" for a fun series. My oldest son from Atlanta is meeting me there, and we'll be together in the deep inner city of Detroit for two days. I thought about going to Iraq instead, but that seemed too safe. :drama:

Hell, you could have just driven to Memphis and save yourself the headache.

Guest tonybon

I'm doing one of my twice-annual photography ventures, capturing "urban decay" for a fun series. My oldest son from Atlanta is meeting me there, and we'll be together in the deep inner city of Detroit for two days. I thought about going to Iraq instead, but that seemed too safe. :rolleyes:

Use to live in Detroit with the current job losses and the nornial CRAP of that city hope you have a AR and lots of ammo for both of you.. Stay away from german town if you want to live!!!!!!!!!

Just make sure you allow a little extra time. You have to stand by while the TSA person sends your bag through the X-ray until they give you the thumbs up to proceed to your gate. Other than that, it's nothing. They will ask you to open up your case, might ask if you if it's unloaded, or they might not, but I believe they're supposed to.

It is possible they will ask you to see it, but not usually. In Nashville they almost never ask you to stick around because the scanner is on the other side of the ticket counter and the agent usually takes the bag. In some airports where you have to take your bag to the TSA they will have you stay there and lock the gun case and your baggage after they search it. Funny but they usually just look at the gun and almost never inspect at all. Then they run their little explosives test after wiping your bag with a special cloth.

I carry firearms on flights all the time and have never had a problem. I always carry the locked gun case in my locked baggage. I have a special case which allows me to store my O/U shotgun in the bottom of my Boyt Bag. The only guns I ever have to check by themselves is rifles.

The only time taking guns on flights is a hassle is when I take them out of the country.

Sitting here waiting for the flight. Got through the check-in process fine. Counter attendant asked me to open my suitcase, and then open the locked box. He wanted to see both handguns and have me demonstrate that the chamber and mag was empty in both. I signed a paper that was placed inside my luggage, then zipped it up and it went through x-ray. After which they didn't even open it or check it for explosives, which surprised me a tad. After it disappeared on the belt, I went through security.

I work for an airline and usually there isn't any issues with guns. Does anybody have a clue how many people are flying somewhere to hunt at any given time?? Most every aircraft in the sky has either a handgun or a rifle on it and I'm not joking. Flights to Alaska, Montana, Washington and other "hot" hunting spots most always have some type of fire arm on it. The percentage of a firearm dissappearing is maybe 1%. Most airlines have "contact" names from the ticket counter, to the gate agent, to the bag room attendant and to the loaders. If the firearm turns up missing, they have people to chat with. Airlines take firearms seriously and the FAA requires doccumentation, especially if ammo is on board......