East Tn TGO Members OCTOBER 2007 Meet

:D

Man Scott, you and Cody, with them .270's were putting on a show! :up:

Those pumpkins stood no chance. All in all I have no way to estimate how many rounds worth of abuse those things took from everyone combined. Absolute pumpkin carnage!:hyper:

Skeet shooting was awesome too. Especially enjoyable was watching Boomhower with his three piece single shot 20 gauge and the fine shooting displayed buy everyone who shot at those formidable skeets. I believe Phantom schooled us all in the final tally. Mike was a fine shot and an equally fine host. A couple of us got a mulligan on account of pesky safety

buttons.:eek: But their was no stopping the Phantom.

The ICE shoot at the beginning was great fun, I do not know who all would have qualified but Norm (Tarheel ?) did the best. What a Marksman.:D

That entire test was some of the most fun I have ever had shooting. Thanks to Phantom6 for putting us through it.

Definitely worth an Honorable Mention was Scott's son shooting the Garand. I never have seen a look on someones face like the one the young man gave on the first shot. I dunno how he kept that stool from falling backward. Was worth the price of admission all on its own.

Thanks Phantom for hosting the Powow. I can't wait to do it again next month up in Kingsport and then the Annual Christmas Season Powow in December back in OR.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, after leaving early to watch the (not-so) mighty Vols get absolutely routed today I'm wishing I would've stuck around for the pumpkin and pigeon slaughter. :eek: I agree with ya about the ICE qualification, that was a hoot.

Guest Boomhower

I would have to whole heartly agree with the aforemention'd comments. I know someone always says it, but today was an absolute blast. Thanks Mike. It's kinda like good whiskey, it keeps getting better with age.

Skeet shooting was awesome too. Especially enjoyable was watching Boomhower with his three piece single shot 20 gauge and the fine shooting displayed buy everyone who shot at those formidable skeets. I believe Phantom schooled us all in the final tally. Mike was a fine shot and an equally fine host. A couple of us got a mulligan on account of pesky safety

buttons.:eek: But their was no stopping the Phantom.

Actually, I hate to knock Phantom off the top, but it was Pokey that ended up lasting the longest. 10 for 10 in over time with Phantom6.

Definitely worth an Honorable Mention was Scott's son shooting the Garand. I never have seen a look on someones face like the one the young man gave on the first shot.

And not to mention the look on everyone else's face after the double tap that shortly followed. Who knew they made auto garand's? I sure didn't. :D

Oh and what happen'd to "what happens at the range, stays at the range?" :hyper: I never would have dreamed my shotgun would have done that. It kinda suxs though. Not only am I out of a good home defense gun, the first firearm I've ever owned is now in three pieces. I think I'm gonna have to find a smith sometime to patch her back up for semtimental reasons, after I get me get me a new one of dem dare pump action 12 ga. of course.:D

Hey guys...thanks for having me this weekend! It was great!!! I will for sure plan on coming to some other ones...

Mike, thanks for the couple 12ga shells for Aaron and thanks for hosting. It was awesome.

Again, nice meeting everyone and look forward to it again!!!!

Guest Phantom6

Yup, Pokey was the king of the clays. He hit 10 of 10 in the shoot-out after we tied. I only had to miss one to loose it and that's all I missed but that's all it took. Damned fine shootin'.

Boy, I wished I'd brought my camera. There were a number of pics that I wish I'd have gotten. One was the Oscar Sierra look on Scottech's sons face the first time he pulled the trigger on the garrand and the sheer and utter power of it surprised him so much that he jerked off another round so quickly that we all thought the M1 had gone "full auto". :eek::hyper:

Then there was that look on Mike357's face as he watched that clay sail off to life and liberty while he was yankin' that trigger WITH THE SAFETY ON sayin' somethin' about "why won't this frickin', frackin' shotgun fire?"! :up: Once he got that safety-trigger thing figured out though he was murderous on them birds.

Then there was Boomhower's WTF look when his shotgun literaly fell apart in his hands as he turned to grab another shot shell and reload. :eek: Yup that'll sure dampen ones competative edge but Pokey stepped up and loaned him a gun to finish the round and like a trooper Boom finished with a respectable round all things considered.:up:

And then there was the uproarious laughter coming off the line with each blast from the shooters repelling those damned vicious marauding pumpkins. At one point Scottech was laughing so hard he couldn't take a shot. I thought for sure that that one pumpkin was gonna get all the way down the hill and breach the perimiter. Then he was able to catch his breath and he and C.A.S. finally stopped the little orange devil. Whew, I thought we was all gonners :D . Don't have to worry about pumpkin vines on the field though because with the twin .270's, a mini-30, an 870 or two and various and sundry pistols firing we literally vaporized the pumpkins. Yup, stories of the great pumpkin onslaught of '07 will undoubtedly be told around campfires (and bars) for generations. :lol:

Thanks to Cody and his mom for the pumpkin donation.:up:

Congrats to all who shot the ICE qualification. Tarheel was top shooter there. Absolutely no fliers with all shots inside the scoring rings on all stages. All shooters did well. That timer really puts the pressure on doesn't it? As all were shooting that one cold and shooting as well as you did, there is no doubt in my mind that with just a little practice we could have gotten everyone qualified.

We had several that had planned on attending but for one reason or another were unable to do so. Folks we missed ya (in this case that's a good thing) and hope to see ya at the next one. IMHO we have a damned fine group here- online and on the range. I'm proud to be a part of it! Thanks folks for the safe and fun-filled day. :D

I stopped the kamikaze-ing pumpkin with the .30-30, and then switched over to the .270 after sending 6 .30-30 rounds at it. After exhausting every single one of the .270's, I switched over to the .30-06. No pumpkins survived.

Guest tarheel78

Guys/gals,

First shoot there, was a great group and good time. Half the fun was watching others experience a variety of weapons. Especially got a laugh out that unexpected double-tap from the M-1 Garand next to me. Never a dull moment. The Garand's report was unbelievable, not sure how WWII soldiers using it professionally had any hearing left after the 1st two shots. Would not want to be on the receiving end of an M-1 round..

I was kind of surprised that after 15+ consecutive hits from 100+ yards, my little .223 55 gr. rounds could not knock down that steel pop-up, just left nice new dime-sized craters in it... I then played the physics card and did a head shot that finally eased it back to the ground. Heck, even the 230 gr .45 ACP hit from 100 yds left it standing, but the "clang" sounded good anyway. Is it too heavy or just glued to the groundstand??

Beautiful shooting day, good company, later, Norman icon14.gif

SANY0117.JPG

And everything else is uploading slow. I;m using Megavideo, as my Megaupload account transferred over to it. THat, and it allowed video files up to 5 gigs!

Guys/gals,

First shoot there, was a great group and good time. Half the fun was watching others experience a variety of weapons. Especially got a laugh out that unexpected double-tap from the M-1 Garand next to me. Never a dull moment. The Garand's report was unbelievable, not sure how WWII soldiers using it professionally had any hearing left after the 1st two shots. Would not want to be on the receiving end of an M-1 round..

Beautiful shooting day, good company, later, Norman icon14.gif

wow...we miss ONE shoot..and look what happens.

Norman, glad to see you could make it out, even if I was awol!

The M1 DOES have a loud report..but not as loud as the M44, imo.

what it DOES have, is accuracy that is hard to rival in weapons of the same time period..the only 2 that I can think of that would do it would be the swiss K31 and the German K98 Mauser. Even the Brits' Enfield didn't have the same accuracy at range.

and as a response, hearing loss was generally offset by making Haiti marine earplugs when the supplies were available. when they weren't you shouted alot...one of the reasons many veterans are really loud? they can't hear that well..you'll notice it when you see them look at your face allot when you talk to them and they ignore you when they're not looking at you. Its not that they don't value your input, its just that they hear a noise, not speech, so they turn and look at you...lots of folks think "he must be slow, I have to tell him everything twice" or.."he always looks at me sideways..he must not like me, or hes' kind of shifty", because they have to turn and LOOK at you to see what you're saying or orient their ears ..like looking off to the side so that their dominant ear will receive.

I know this because I have a 60% hearing loss in my left ear from a mortar round.

Ask Joe from Hero gear..I'm willing to bet that he's run across more than one old timer like that and can probably tell you from his own personal experience as well.

Ask some of the old timers like Ron (Jackdog),Shannon (Marswolf), Mark@sea (a shellback),Mike (phantom6). They're just a few that I can name off the top of my head, because I consider them friends, that have seen combat..I'm willing to bet that there's allot more than that on here that's never mentioned it but have gone there and done that.

Every one of these guys make for a great nucleus for the board...why? because they've got a day to day working knowledge of firearms and have employed them day to day, at some point in time...LOL nothing beats experience as a teacher. Add to that the fact that just about everyone else loves things that go boom so much that its almost an obsession..and you have a great board!

(this is my long winded way of saying I missed you guys :cry:)

they also make for lots of fun AND education when you get on a range!

ok..back to regularly scheduled programming :D

I thought we had a poll at one time about who was in the military. Must have been on another board. I remember I was surprised how many members were military veterans.

Yeah, I have some hearing loss, but not nearly as bad as some of the Korean War vets I know.

I thought we had a poll at one time about who was in the military. Must have been on another board. I remember I was surprised how many members were military veterans.

Yeah, I have some hearing loss, but not nearly as bad as some of the Korean War vets I know.

it was this board and if I remember YOU started the poll! :cry:

I was also pleasantly surprised. I enjoy hanging out with you guys..and I really enjoy hanging out with those that have never heard a shot fired in anger except to 'splode the great pumpkin'

Heck, I'd even hang out with Rabbi and argue about the one thing we DO agree on...the RBKA :D

Guest Phantom6
Hey Phantom, how many more ICE qualifications did you guys run?
Originally Posted by c.a.s. viewpost.gif

Only that one.

What he said! :rolleyes:

Actually we were going to shoot another one so the "Clayton Gang" and another shooter or two could do it but after Boomhower's bangstick became a self breaking down three piece unit and we found ourselves repelling an attack by the PPLA (Pesky Punkin' Liberation Army) it kind of got forgotten as we tried to catch our breath from laughing so damn hard. Before we knew it it was time to begin packing up.

Not to worry though. We'll shoot it again in December for sure. :up:

hey c.a.s. , have you uploaded any more pictures?

There was only one picture, though there were several videos. Megaupload is being very mean, and finisheing the upload but not FINISHING it (as in 100%....no page change, it doesn't show up in the file manager). I'll get them compressed into archives to make them easier to get to (ICE, Pumpkins, and Clays)

There was only one picture, though there were several videos. Megaupload is being very mean, and finisheing the upload but not FINISHING it (as in 100%....no page change, it doesn't show up in the file manager). I'll get them compressed into archives to make them easier to get to (ICE, Pumpkins, and Clays)

great...thanks for the info...