P238 Recall and Sig Warranty Issues

SavageSig

I received a notice for a certified letter. I went and picked it up this morning, thinking it was something from the IRS or something similarly important, but it was just a letter from Sig Sauer. Notifying me that a "MANDATORY SAFETY UPGRADE" was needed on my pistol because the gun MIGHT go off if you turn the safety off. Sort of IMPORTANT.

I called them up because I've had my pistol there for about two weeks now. The mainspring jumped the recoil guide rod, jamming the pistol. I called about a couple of weeks ago, and they sent me a new spring. I put that one in, and the same thing happened. I shipped it off to them, and calling for a status check on Thursday, I was told that it was finished, and that they had replaced the mainspring. I told them that the mainspring had been replaced previously. They said, "Well, that's what I'm reading here". When I tried to pitch a fit, they just said, "I can only read what they wrote about it." Great.

So I called them up an hour ago about this MANDATORY SAFETY UPGRADE and I said, "Hey, what's the deal with this recall?" He said, "It's not a recall sir, it's a mandatory safety upgrade because..." and I cut him off, saying, "the damn thing might go off if I turn the safety off?"

"Yes."

"Sounds like a recall to me."

If you have a P238, SN DA000501 - DA003216 you need to send it back. Call up "customer service" and see what bored sounding rep you get.

Anyways, I'm pretty steamed about all of this. They said they're going to ship it out "in a few days". I think I'm going to just sell it without even testing. I paid a premium for a pistol that is totally f*cking up. My other Sig Sauer adventure, a Mosquito, was a giant POS. I think I'm going to find another brand to buy from now on. Like Smith and Wesson.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Well Well well. I'm sorry about your issues & no way am I making light of it. I wonder now if they will get slammed like Ruger did with the LCP recall.

Did they preform the recall on your sig while they were doing the other work or are u gonna have to send it back after you recieve it.

Guest JHatmaker

Hmm, my SN would be included in this, but I haven't received anything in the mail. On top of that, I've never had any issues with any of my SIG's (I've owned 4).

Maybe this will come in the mail. There's nothing on their website, I even clicked on "Product Alerts" and it says there are none at this time.

The letter I received was addressed to "Dear DISTRIBUTOR/RETAILER" and dated July 22, 2009. I'm not 100% sure why they sent it to me.

I knew something was up on Thursday. I should have said something like, "If they replaced the spring, why aren't they shipping it yet?" But they just said, "A few more days." So they knew they were keeping it for this safety upgrade, but they weren't going to tell me about it. I only found out because they accidentally sent me this letter.

Hmm, my SN would be included in this, but I haven't received anything in the mail. On top of that, I've never had any issues with any of my SIG's (I've owned 4).

Maybe this will come in the mail. There's nothing on their website, I even clicked on "Product Alerts" and it says there are none at this time.

Call them and make sure. The letter states that the safety issue is the main reason, but also because "Upon receipt of the firearm, SIG SAUER will, at no cost to the owner, eliminate the risk identified above by replacing the subject part and performing functional upgrades that have been incorporated into the P238, subsequent to it's introduction."

Translation: they rushed and released the beta version, got about 3000 suckers to buy them, and now they have the patch that everyone has to apply or they can't play.

Guest JHatmaker

That makes sense, I guess this is a "soft" recall, and they are having the shops send back in their current inventory; then they'll fix the one's consumers alreay bought.

I just took mine out of my back pocket and unloaded the chamber to be on the safe side. Don't want to be shootin' my a$$ up!

That makes sense, I guess this is a "soft" recall, and they are having the shops send back in their current inventory; then they'll fix the one's consumers alreay bought.

I just took mine out of my back pocket and unloaded the chamber to be on the safe side. Don't want to be shootin' my a$$ up!

Yeah, the letter advises store owners to send back unsold inventory and provide the address and phone # of everyone who bought a pistol, along with the SN of the pistol they purchased.

P238 Upgrade

That's the letter addressed to customers online. I did not catch the link the first time I read the letter I have.

Guest HexHead

Anyways, I'm pretty steamed about all of this. They said they're going to ship it out "in a few days". I think I'm going to just sell it without even testing. I paid a premium for a pistol that is totally f*cking up. My other Sig Sauer adventure, a Mosquito, was a giant POS. I think I'm going to find another brand to buy from now on. Like Smith and Wesson.

My New Agent was part of Colt's recent recall. I read about it on the 'net on a Thursday and registered on Colt's website. Monday's mail brought me a FedEx call tag with instructions on shipping the pistol back. That Wednesday, I went to FedEx and shipped it out, 2nd Day Air. It was back to my door the following Wednesday, again shipped 2nd Day Air. I was able to follow my pistol's status at Colt via their website.

So to recap, one week door to door, 2nd Day Air both ways with a weekend in between. That's what I call customer service! :D

I called about a hour ago.

My SN fell into the range DA0014XX

They told mine was OK. And that very few would be sent back ( for what thats worth)

They also ask for Mags if you do send yours back .

So all is well in my little Sigville. :D

Edited by JeffsSig

Even though its not called a recall I am glad to see a company doing this. It shows they are on top of things. Even if it may save some future lawsuits they still seen a small problem and is doing something about. Unlike some companys around.

Well Well well. I'm sorry about your issues & no way am I making light of it. I wonder now if they will get slammed like Ruger did with the LCP recall.

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. I've got a feeling that somehow Sig isn't going to catch as much crap from folks as Ruger did.

Even though its not called a recall I am glad to see a company doing this. It shows they are on top of things.

Ruger did the same thing but they were seen in a bad light from some folks.

Guest jos2f

They also ask for Mags if you do send yours back .

That's odd. If Sig can't send out a gun with a good mag... not sure what to say.

Maybe Sig meant to say you'll get a free mag for the recall (ala Ruger)?

Guest boatme99

The inclusive numbers of the recall total 2,715 units. According to the Sig press release, not all of these will require the upgrade. So the actual number of repaired units is actually pretty low. Add to this the fact that they caught it right away, and are paying for all the shipping, I don't think there's too much to complain about. Compare this to some other manufacturers recalls lately!

• 1 month later...
Guest JHatmaker

Finally got my P238 back from SIG today. Nice little surprise inside, they gave me an extra magazine. I assume they do this for all the guns that come in. Took about a week after I dropped it off at UPS (they send a pre-paid UPS box). The funny thing is they mailed it back using FedEx :cool:

Anyway, I was pleased with the process, great customer service despite the recall.

I must admit, my carry gun USED to be a Sig P239 in 9mm. The gun shot well but, when I bought my Glock 23 I compared the two and found that the "slim" P239 was almost exactly the same dimensions as the G23. I even took some comparison pictures to post on another site. And, the p239 being a 9mm and holding a whopping 8 rounds in the mag, the G23 being a .40 and holding 13 in the mag, plus everyone and their mothers making holsters for the G23, the P239 got sold after becoming a fairly expensive safe queen.

Since, the G23 has been replaced as my EDC by my new love, the XD .40 Service model. It just fits my hand like a glove. In fact, I thought that for sure there couldn't be a gun that would ever fit my hand better, until I held and XDm for the first time.:cool:

Luckily, for the years I owned my P239, I never needed to contact Sig customer service. Sounds like the OP has not had a good experience with them.

My P239 in .40 cal is the finest gun I ever owned, very accurate and after 500 round 0 issues and it is my EDC, I own 4 Sigs and even my 30 year old Sig works flawlessly. I'll be a Sig man for life and the P238 is next on my lists!!!! COOP

Finally got my P238 back from SIG today. Nice little surprise inside, they gave me an extra magazine. I assume they do this for all the guns that come in. Took about a week after I dropped it off at UPS (they send a pre-paid UPS box). The funny thing is they mailed it back using FedEx :lol:

Anyway, I was pleased with the process, great customer service despite the recall.

Same here, extra mag inside.:D All they did was add a button under the thumb safety. No big deal. It is an awesome little gun 300+ rounds so far with zero problems. Great little back up gun or quick trip to the store gun.

The free mag they sent me was a dud. Wouldn't even feed a single round correctly. Turns out they also replaced the original mag I had sent in with a dud too. The way it was explained to me over the phone was that they redesigned and "improved" the follower, decided it was faulty, and switched back to the original Mustang design. But, they sent me 2 bad magazines anyhow. Oh well, is how the fellow on the phone put it. Yes, oh well Sig. Oh well, I won't buy any more of your cruddy guns.

Edited by SavageSig

I have one question about this thread. How did Sig get your name, address, SN, and model number to send you the recall letter? Sorry if this is a crazy question but if I start getting letters about weapons I own, I'll be more than a little curious. By TN law none of that information should be public or accessable even to the manufacturer.

I have one question about this thread. How did Sig get your name, address, SN, and model number to send you the recall letter? Sorry if this is a crazy question but if I start getting letters about weapons I own, I'll be more than a little curious. By TN law none of that information should be public or accessable even to the manufacturer.

I received 2 certified letters. The first was in July. The second was a couple of weeks ago. It was basically the same letter, except it was addressed to me personally instead of "Sig dealer". So they have me down as a distributor and as a customer.

The 1st letter asked dealers to submit info on whoever bought a 238 from them. They got info from that and from people calling in to complain about broken 238's, I guess.

Guest JHatmaker

I received a registered letter as well. I mailed back the registration card when I first got the gun (do it for most of mine). I know you don't have to, but they store my info so I get information, like recalls, without having to proactively look for them. Also, when you send in the registration/warranty card, they call or email you back as soon as they get it and offer you special deals on accessories, etc.