What EOtech do I need?

DaveTN

I can’t find a good side by side comparison of the different models of EOtech’s, even on their web site.

I just want one to use on my .308 Panther and maybe an AR if I decided to build one.

I don’t need night vision.

I found a good price on the 512A65. Why would I need anything more?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't, as far as I can tell it is the same as my 552 sans Night vision adaptability, which I do not use anyway I was going to tell you to make sure you got the one that uses AA batteries and it does, so I would get it if you found a good deal

Edited by willis68
Guest Marine03

I'm not a big fan of the eotech. I had one on my M16A4 for 6 months when I was in the Marine Corps. I was very happy to get rid of it. The sight is reletively flat making it hard to see if you throw it up to your shoulder fast. You have to take the time to put your head down. And the double ring reticle is like 6-7 moa, which is ok if all your shooting at is 50 yrds and in. At 100 yrds a good zero is almost impossable. Also ours were always failing. On my second deployment almost half of our eotech's quit working for no aparent reason. All the guys that had eotech's had to mount their iron sights at all times cause you never knew when they would work and when they wouldn't. Not to mention the batteries die fast. Ours only lasted 80-100hrs.

I have only played with aimpoints but like them much better. With all the mounting options you can mount it high enough to keep you head up when shooting. I also like the smaller reticals available with the aimpoint. Not to mention the new ones have like 5yrs continuous operation on 1 set of batteries.

• Admin Team

I've got a 552.A65 and love it. The 512.A65 is identical minus the night vision setting on the 552. The AA units are long. On a standard M4 with a non rail handguard, I can only fit the holosight and an ARMS #40 BUIS. Not that I need, or want anything more on the rail, but it is a big unit. TripleDigitRide mentioned liking the units that take an n-type battery, they are also making one that takes a single Lithium 123 mounted transversely. That might be a nice option.

Having used Aimpoints and EoTechs, I prefer the EoTech, especially the 65MOA ring with the 1MOA dot. Shoot both if you get a chance, as they are both great products and I think it is really a matter of personal preference.

Noting the good deal you mentioned, make sure you are getting an authentic sight. They are having big problems with counterfeiters right now, and a lot of them are showing up on EBay. The sight may look identical from the outside, but turn them on and they are just a cheap knockoff red dot with no holographic technology.

have had 2 of the 511 N battery ones, i like the smaller size and i change battery's once a year, unless of course I forgot to turn it off.

but but people seem to think the little N battery types are not tact cool.

and i do agree for me very hard to zreo at distance.

I've got a 552.A65 and love it. The 512.A65 is identical minus the night vision setting on the 552. The AA units are long. On a standard M4 with a non rail handguard, I can only fit the holosight and an ARMS #40 BUIS. Not that I need, or want anything more on the rail, but it is a big unit. TripleDigitRide mentioned liking the units that take an n-type battery, they are also making one that takes a single Lithium 123 mounted transversely. That might be a nice option.

Having used Aimpoints and EoTechs, I prefer the EoTech, especially the 65MOA ring with the 1MOA dot. Shoot both if you get a chance, as they are both great products and I think it is really a matter of personal preference.

Noting the good deal you mentioned, make sure you are getting an authentic sight. They are having big problems with counterfeiters right now, and a lot of them are showing up on EBay. The sight may look identical from the outside, but turn them on and they are just a cheap knockoff red dot with no holographic technology.

+1 to everything he said. I have the aforementioned 512, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I took the time to properly zero when I first mounted it, and I can still hit a golf ball at 100 yards to this day.