RIA or Springfield GI 1911?

nolo

I am wanting to get a basic 1911 and customize it. I am looking for a commander size. If I knew a little more about it I would get a basic frame and slide and start from scratch. I would like to eventually make it a carry gun with night sights, do some trigger work, and add a few other bells and whistles.

Which would be a better fit? What are the pros/cons of either the SA GI or the RIA? Is there something else I should look at?

Basically I don't really know what all my options are. I like the GI champion lightweight.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bluemax

I was at the Sevier Indoor Range a few weeks ago and a fellow in the lane beside me had just bought 2 RI 1911's. He had only cleaned them and changed the grips and I have to say I was VERY impressed by them

If your going to customize them, then go RIA. Why spend the extra $200 or so on something your going to throw part of away any how. Actually, I got to handle (and that was all mind you) a RIA Commander. It seemed well built and the price was right too, at $399.

I'd rather not spend $800-900+ on the platform. That's why I like the idea of a RIA or Springfield.

Understood, however you did not mention a price neighborhood, of the two I would get the Springfield, I am just not fond of 1911's made in the Philippines

but to each their own ;)

It boils down to importance of buying a name. If it doesn't matter then get the RIA. If you want to tell people that you got a Springfield rather than a 1911 than pay the extra money.

The difference between the two with respect to fit and finish actually may favor the RIA

I wish those $250-300 Nornico's were still floating around...Man those were a great deal.

Guest Mugster
It boils down to importance of buying a name. If it doesn't matter then get the RIA. If you want to tell people that you got a Springfield rather than a 1911 than pay the extra money.

The difference between the two with respect to fit and finish actually may favor the RIA

I wish those $250-300 Nornico's were still floating around...Man those were a great deal.

I see them every once in awhile. Your right, they are nicely fitted imo.

I'll go with pie on this one, I think the RIA is a better handgun.

Guest BigShot
I would get the Springfield, I am just not fond of 1911's made in the Philippines

but to each their own :eek:

Gotta say my bubble popped on this one when the Springfield rep informed me all their castings are from South America. I felt better learning all machine work is done in the states.

BigShot ;)

Guest 70below

I'd say the RIA.......seem as solid as any in my opinion....maybe just not quite as pretty. The springfield is a great pistol too, If I found a good buy on a GI (I've seem them as low as about $475 from time to time) I'd probably go ahead and get the SA.

I bought a Philippine Firestorm Government Deluxe 1911 for RIA money and it was a blued finish with most of the mods already done. Leaving money for whatever I want to upgrade in the future. Stay away from the older Firestorm pistols.......they were rebadged Llama's and weren't mil-spec. Below is a picture of mine, as from the factory....

govtmule.jpg

(* 500 S&W rounds just for show :D )

Edited by 70below
Guest HexHead

I had a Springfield Champion, it was my first 1911. One of the things I didn't like about it was their use of a bull barrel instead of a bushing. You need to use this (easily lost) plastic collar on the guide rod to field strip it.

After two 4" barrel commander size pistols, my advice is to only get a 4.25" true Commander size one with a bushing.

I own the RIA 1911 commander size and I love it, 300 rounds though it and no problems at all, I put Hogue grips on it for a little better fit to my hand. the only thing I dont like is the sites, I'm getting older and my eyes sight is going so I dropped it off last weekend to have some 3 dot sites put on it so I could see them a little better. My advise is buy the RIA!!! COOP

I've owned SA GI and have handled the GI Champion, they are good guns but i would only buy another one if 1, i find a US made one and 2, if i am not planning on altering the gun externally. If you are planning on upgrading the gun then I'd go with the RIA 1911 tactical, I was checking one out a couple of days ago and i must say it was very smooth and had a very good trigger to begin with. It is about as upgraded as a SA Loaded.

Gotta say my bubble popped on this one when the Springfield rep informed me all their castings are from South America. I felt better learning all machine work is done in the states.

BigShot :D

Springfield gets the blanks for the lower end 1911 from Brazil(Imbel) the higher end frames are made in US. Every once in a while you'd see some milspec's that are US made.

Guest BigShot
Springfield gets the blanks for the lower end 1911 from Brazil(Imbel) the higher end frames are made in US. Every once in a while you'd see some milspec's that are US made.

I guess my question is how do I know where the castings came from.

Are they marked in some manner??

I guess my question is how do I know where the castings came from.

Are they marked in some manner??

I do not think there is a way to tell, a friend of mine owned a Professional Springfield (pro), he told me that its forged frame and slide was made is South America, he sold the gun after he learned it. (not the only reason) Sadly I think the only way you can be sure is to buy another manufacturers gun

Edited by willis68
Guest PerazziTM1

nolo, I have a Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, Parkerized, NightSights, but it's a full size, I can put you in or we could work a trade on your Kimber.

be safe and shoot well,

PerazziTM1

I picked up a RIA 4" today. I was surprised how well it shoots. It was much smoother than the Springfield GI. And the trigger felt better, but that doesn't really matter since I am changing the trigger anyway.

The only problem I have is that it won't feed Hornady TAP hollow points, neither the 200 grain or the 230 gr +P. Any ideas?