Carry in Rest Stops

Last weekend we took a road trip down to Hero Gear and Benton Shooters. Along the way on 24 we stopped at the first rest stop/welcome center in TN once you leave Chatanooga. I open carry. No need to discuss the why and where for's. Anywho after "conducting my business", and going back out to my vehicle, the private security guard comes up asks me to place my weapon in my vehicle. I politely responded that I would not. There are no signs posted in/on this facility. I told him as much. He said it's state property, no carry. I told him he should familiarize himself and his superior who directed him to approach me, with the law. No one seemed paniced over the MWAG. Another driver from out of state asked me about TN carry laws after observing our interaction. The private security guard went about his business and I mine. Just keep a lookout. It is legal to carrry in rest stops in TN unless properly posted. Rest stops are not a prohibited location per TN39-17-13. And being a state owned piece of property it should not be posted at all.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

I carry in them all the time just not open because I dont need any hassle from guys that dont know what they are talking about.

Guest jos2f

At the risk of making a gross generalization, sometimes I feel that the security guards get small-man-syndrome when they see a "normal guy" with a gun while they themselves don't have one.

I think they're more likely to hassle you than a real police officer.

Good for you on not backing down

Guest db99wj

Rest Area, I'm carrying anyway, don't care about any signs, those places, bunch of nutjobs. I know, legal smegal, if there is a sign, I will go piss on a tree.

Sure seems like I have seen a letter from TDOT or TDOS stating that signs were posted at rest areas mistakenly. The intention was that the facillities were to be posted as no guns by employees. I thought I saw it here on TGO. Anyone else remember something like that or am I needing medication?