round in the chamber or not?

Guest proudsuthrner

Guest PerazziTM1

Round in the tube, but certainly use the other most important safeties.... brain, trigger finger,....

Be Safe and Shoot well,

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speak-softly

I find the gun you have to DO something to in order for it to fire is significantly slower than one you need only pull the trigger. From draw, to site aquisition to 'bang' usually takes about a second or two. You're typical BG can cover 10-15 feet in that amount of time. Or worse yet, I'd be willing to bet money that his weapon has one in the pipe.

$.02

I always carry with one in the chamber, but after practicing draw+2's yesterday (for the first time in a while) I was further convinced of this practice. Every fraction-of-a-second delay could mean your (or a loved one's) life...

Guest TurboniumOxide

Well it depends on whether you plan on using the weapon to save your bacon or not. My worst nightmare is being shot with my own weapon, and I figure I have to be lethal fast enough to react to a threat that might be on me almost instantly. Like a cougar jumping on you from the brush. Like "she" says, keep one in the pipe.

Then learn to draw safely and accurately.

Guest dizzielizzie

I searched the Tennessee code for chamber and came up with a reference to juveniles transporting rifles for school organized groups (section 13-17-1319)

State Rules and Regulations a recently passed house bill HB390 which amended code 39-17-1307 to include

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that a person

authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, is transporting a rifle or

shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle, and the rifle or shotgun does

not have ammunition in the chamber. However, such a person does not violate

this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is

inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to §§ 39-11-611 or 39-

11-612.

Your handgun carry permit allows you to have a gun on your person regardless whether it's loaded, unloaded, one in the chamber, etc. It also opens up your rights a little bit if you transport long guns, rifles, etc. for hunting and other sport.

I took a little time in a safe area (where I knew I wouldn't shoot someone) and chambered / unchambered my personal carry weapon until I became comfortable with it and only unchamber it when I'm 1.) cleaning / maintaining and 2.) showing it to someone. Yes, it is definitely the "final step" of carrying, but unless you have lots of practice, the time you loose chambering a round could mean your life. If you don't trust the safety options of your firearm then I don't know what advice to offer - my only true firearm experience is with a revolver and a Kahr 9mm - no safeties on either.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are not comfortable with a round in the chamber there is an alternitive. You can buy less then lethal (rubber bullets)and keep one of them in the chamber. However, I would not have more than 2 less then lethal rounds (the first 2). If you are in a situation that requires you to pull and fire your weapon and the first 2 rounds dont stop them then you have the rest of your clip as back up. Personnaly, I do not use less then lethal but I have froends that do.

Guest Muttling
If you are not comfortable with a round in the chamber there is an alternitive. You can buy less then lethal (rubber bullets)and keep one of them in the chamber. However, I would not have more than 2 less then lethal rounds (the first 2). If you are in a situation that requires you to pull and fire your weapon and the first 2 rounds dont stop them then you have the rest of your clip as back up. Personnaly, I do not use less then lethal but I have froends that do.

"Less than lethals" are quite lethal at close range. If the OP is worried about injury from accidental discharges then a rubber bullet is still going to do a lot of damage.

Just look at the death of Brandon Lee. A uncleared squib followed by a low powder blank killed him.

Guest trigem

If you are new to carrying and or guns, I don't recommend one in the pipe till you train your self in the proper handling and carrying of a weapon.;)

It only takes one mistake to change your life for ever!:D

I carried with out one in the tube for a couple of months,

I practiced removing weapon from holster and to keep my trigger finger off the trigger until needed,

Now muscle memory and brain power keep my finger where it belongs,

I no longer have to worry about ADD when handling the weapon:koolaid:

Guest clownsdd

If you are uncomfortable carrying one in the chamber, you should not be carrying. My gun is safe in the holster, when it comes out, it's safe in my hand.

Seconds count in a bad situation. If you are that unsure of yourself, you need to do more homework until your confidence level goes up several notches.