round in the chamber or not?

Guest proudsuthrner

Guest proudsuthrner

i do realize that this might be a strange question but i just have to ask. mainly because i havent been able find it anywhere or i just havent been looking in the right places. i have been walking around with the chamber empty and thought of some "what ifs", but the question is: what is the rule on having a round in the chamber of a ccw?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m&pc9

Most will tell you carry with one in the chamber. But if you are new to carrying. Just carry with out one until you get comfortable with it. When I got my HCP I carried an empty chamber for about a month until I was comfortable. A good holster was the key for me also.

Guest Muttling

My training was that a personal protection weapon should always be round in the chamber, safety off.

When the crap hits the fan, you want it to come out out of the holster hot. In the days before the Glocks, several police officers were shot because they drew safetied weapons and didn't unsafe them in the heat of the conflict. Drawing an unchambered weapon is evern worse.

If you want a level of safety, make sure the holster covers the trigger and carry a double action weapon so that first round requires a long and stiff triggger pull.

Guest jos2f

Definitely one in chamber. Just like keeping condom in your back pocket doesn't prevent babies, neither does keeping bullets in a magazine shoot bad guys.

Guest sjrhodes82

i personally carry my kimber tactical .45 with chamber loaded and safety on. with some of these guns though, i can understand how someone might be afraid at first to carry that way...

Guest bkelm18

The best way I heard it explained is to imagine that you have been tackled to the ground and your attacker is trying to stab you in the eye with a ballpoint pen. Which would you rather have, an empty chamber, or a loaded chamber? In other words, you may not always have both hands free. I know there are ways to rack the slide one handed, but it's not a sure thing in a high stress situation.

Unless you've trained extensively in Israeli armed forces most everyone needs to carry chambered. :D Most of us train enough to handle a normal situation, but I'm willing to bet most real world happening are not normal. Meaning speed and ease are as important as anything.

Guest crotalus01

I carry a Glock 22 with one in the chamber, always. If I have to pull my gun odds are I am pulling the trigger less than a second after it clears the holster and that leaves no time to rack the slide (caveat - I train a decent bit at drawing, acquiring a site picture and firing).

One of the first things we were told in my HCP class was if we intended to carry with an empty chamber to leave the class and get our money back now because we would be better off carrying a brick.

I don't think it matters how fast you can do the Israeli draw at the range, when the natural instinct when things go bad is to duck first, then process, you have interrupted that whole motion. I also find that when I am shooting a gun that I point really well before using the sights (for me that is a 1911) it hinders that accuracy if I have to rack the slide first. If I can come straight up to point, I am way more accurate on the first shot.

i do realize that this might be a strange question but i just have to ask. mainly because i havent been able find it anywhere or i just havent been looking in the right places. i have been walking around with the chamber empty and thought of some "what ifs", but the question is: what is the rule on having a round in the chamber of a ccw?

I'd encourage you to take a Self-Defense Street Handgun course to get comfortable drawing and holstering while chambered.

Guest gunslinger707
After a while you will get used to it, heck, I even carry a Glock with a chambered round. :confused:

You're gonna shoot yerself in the Azz!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Carrying an empty chamber, might as well be carrying a rock !

Guest Linoge

I figure my reaction time is sufficiently slow already that carrying my firearm without one in the chamber would be just adding insult to injury...

If you have a firearm that has no drop safety, or no firing pin block, then I could understand not keeping one in the tube. But apart from that... stick the magazine in, rack it once, jam another round in the magazine, slide it back in, and off you go.