Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy – Open Carry Welcome!

Guest trigem

Guest trigem

:poop:

OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, it’s better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, “psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, it’s the law†kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro’s policy is and “always was†to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crotalus01

Last time I was in a Bass Pro (3 weeks ago) they have a sign at the front that says "Please check all handguns at Customer Service". I was about to walk out when the greeter saw me reading the sign - he looked at my OCed Glock and said, "Oh, don't worry about checking your gun as long as you have a permit, that only applies to non-permit holders"...I was in a hurry so I didn't try and explain that non-permit holders couldnt legally carry period. Glad to hear that the confusion has been cleared up regarding carry there though.

Last time I was in a Bass Pro (3 weeks ago) they have a sign at the front that says "Please check all handguns at Customer Service". I was about to walk out when the greeter saw me reading the sign - he looked at my OCed Glock and said, "Oh, don't worry about checking your gun as long as you have a permit, that only applies to non-permit holders"...I was in a hurry so I didn't try and explain that non-permit holders couldnt legally carry period. Glad to hear that the confusion has been cleared up regarding carry there though.

I saw the same sign at the BP here in East TN. I thought it was odd considering they sell a bucket load of guns and ammo. Hopefully, they will post less confusing signs. But that policy still doesn't make sense since people can't carry a loaded gun without a permit. Maybe the idea is that if someone brings an empty gun, they can't go up to where the ammo is and pop some rounds into their gun since they don't keep ammo under lock and key. But that's still a stupid policy since if someone is willing to commit a crime why would they check their gun?

Matthew

I was just at Sportsman's last week in Chattanooga, and I thought for sure the sign said that you had to check all guns unless you had a permit and kept it CONCEALED (or something like that). Anyway, I had the impression that it was fine to carry if you have an HCP, but they didn't want open carry.

I could be wrong, or maybe it's an old sign. I'll read it again next week.

Guest bkelm18

Those signs are for guns that are being brought in for service or for any reason not associated with being carried. Every sporting goods store that sells guns that I've seen has those.