Travel and work in Memphis: HCP = no brainer

Hey there.. I'm the new guy here - so I thought I might pitch my questions to you all. My job requires me to travel from my home in Nashville to Memphis frequently and I have already found myself in more then one shady Memphis corner that I wished I was armed.

That's going to change - asap. I have decided to get my HCP and find a good carrying pistol. I see there are many classes to choose from around Nashville.. Uselton, Guns n Leather, Ontarget, etc... and my dad learned from Buford Tune way back in the day.. not sure if hes still kicking around.

Anyway - I just wanted some feedback on a good place to get my permit. I've shot a good bit growing up, but never was really that into firearms. Until now.

I will likely try to qualify with my Glock 21, but when I get the funds will be looking for a good carrying weapon - probably an SP-101. Any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance, y'all.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, welcome to TGO!

For your permit class, there are several vendors here on TGO that offer them. Guns & Leather is in Greenbriar, and have a very nice range. Goodlettsville Gun shop is in Goodlettsville, I've heard good things about them. CIS is in Smyrna, and they're highly recommended also. I'd recommend that you do a search here on Buford Tune, Uselton, and On Target before dealing with them. I've not had personal experience with any of them, aside from meeting Buford once at a gun show. Do a search, there are a lot of opinions on them here.

A good carry weapon is the one you can conceal and shoot the best. The G21 may work for you with a good holster, but a snubnose .38 in a pocket holster is very easy to carry. Try a few different options out before you decide.

First, welcome to TGO!

For your permit class, there are several vendors here on TGO that offer them. Guns & Leather is in Greenbriar, and have a very nice range. Goodlettsville Gun shop is in Goodlettsville, I've heard good things about them. CIS is in Smyrna, and they're highly recommended also. I'd recommend that you do a search here on Buford Tune, Uselton, and On Target before dealing with them. I've not had personal experience with any of them, aside from meeting Buford once at a gun show. Do a search, there are a lot of opinions on them here.

A good carry weapon is the one you can conceal and shoot the best. The G21 may work for you with a good holster, but a snubnose .38 in a pocket holster is very easy to carry. Try a few different options out before you decide.

Thanks for the comments. Yes - I've shot the G21 enough to know I dont want to carry it regularly. I wear a suit at work so I want something pretty small and concealable. I think the SP101 with a SOB holster would be ideal... but I'm open to ideas.

Guest 3pugguy
Hey there.. I'm the new guy here - so I thought I might pitch my questions to you all. My job requires me to travel from my home in Nashville to Memphis frequently and I have already found myself in more then one shady Memphis corner that I wished I was armed.

That's going to change - asap. I have decided to get my HCP and find a good carrying pistol. I see there are many classes to choose from around Nashville.. Uselton, Guns n Leather, Ontarget, etc... and my dad learned from Buford Tune way back in the day.. not sure if hes still kicking around.

Anyway - I just wanted some feedback on a good place to get my permit. I've shot a good bit growing up, but never was really that into firearms. Until now.

I will likely try to qualify with my Glock 21, but when I get the funds will be looking for a good carrying weapon - probably an SP-101. Any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Welcome.

My wife and both did our class at Guns and Leather, as noted by the OP, nice range. Bought a couple of guns there - good prices and selection (my carry is a G19, with a get off of me KelTec P32 in a Nemesis holster).

What I have gained from reading these pages is what works best is...what works for you.

Lots of really gun smart/tactic smart folks here and as also noted, great vendor members who will help you out.

Good luck!

Guest db99wj

Anywhere in Memphis can be dangerous. Good choice of getting your HCP.

You need to carry whatever you feel comfortable carrying. That means you might have to try a few different things. Size of the handgun doesn't mean as much as type of holster you chose to wear, in my opinion. I, like you, dress up ever day. I was suit and tie everday, but have modified my work wear to dress pants, button down shirt tucked in, no tie. I carry an XD 40 Service Model (4" barrel) in a Comp Tech, CTAC holster, http://www.comp-tac.com/, which is an Inside the waistband holster that is tuckable. I wear it from 7-8am to 6-7pm everyday, sitting most of the day, either at my desk, or getting in and out of my Jeep. I also upgraded my holster platform to the V clips, which are the velcro clips. I had to get velcro sewn into my belt. They come with velcro with tape and it actually holds very well. I have lost around 25lbs since January, and 3" in my waist, I had to tighten my belt so much that I ran out of velcro that was sewn in and used the tape, it is holding suprisingly well. Anyway, with button down shirts I pullout the shirt tail just enough to still be tucked, but it covers any of the holster clips that might be showing. It is really unnoticeable. If you are wearing a suit coat, no problem, ever. Drawing takes a little more time and another movement, you will have to pull your shirt tail out to draw, you will need to practice and plan ahead, like if you are in a shady area, untuck the shirt tail and either have it where it is easily moved, or tuck the shirt behind the handgun and open carry or have your suit coat covering it. So

If I had to buy a new one, I would upgrade to the MTAC, which is very similiar, but a leather backing has been added. Supposidly much more comfortable.

I will let those in the Nashville area talk about classes. While coming to Memphis, if you go west on Whitten Road from I-40, go through 3 lights, then turn Right at the street past the Dollar General, pool hall and some other place (strip shopping center), then turn left at the 4 way stop, then on your right, is RangeUsa. Great range, restaurant, lots of stuff to look at. Good place to waste some time if you need something to do between whatever it is that you do in Memphis.

Main thing is that you are doing the smart thing, you are here asking the right questions, you need to get that HCP, practice and be safe.

Thanks BigPoppa.. but I've got an appointment at the range tomorrow with Dad and Dad-in-law. Its my birthday today... so we 3 guys are going to have a birthday shoot tomorrow :cool:

Ill bookmark that link though.

Guest 270win

RangeUSA is a very nice place to shoot on Whitten Road. Several years ago, I went down an unfamiliar road in Memphis before permanently moving to the area from Little Rock (and quite some time before getting my AR concealed handgun license or later TN handgun carry permit) and saw enough fine young 'youth' that the very next day I started keeping my pistol in the console in my vehicle all the when in Memphis city limits. Not exactly 'legal' in TN, but it sure made me feel a lot safer several years ago. I had always kept a loaded pistol w/o license since 18 (i was on a 'journey'..legal in Arkansas) in my car or even carried on me when I had to go to bad parts of Little Rock or traveled, so I soon learned just about all of Memphis city limits was like the whole bad side of Little Rock! I didn't think I could really wait on a permit to be processed after my first day of driving in Memphis when i needed a handgun in the vehicle the next day! You risk a Class C Misdemeanor (lowest misdemeanor), fine, and cops taking your gun...so if you do it...don't keep a gun in your car you are not willing to lose to Memphis PD if found out. Keep registration and insurance seperate from where you keep your loaded gun and don't disclose the fact to the police even if they ask. I never had a problem keeping ins and reg on passenger visor even when stopped in states where keeping a loaded pistol in the car was a misdemeanor w/o a license. I'm clean cut, don't drink in my car, and respectful to police but again didn't disclose 'illegally' loaded handguns in my vehicle.

I live outside of Memphis in a suburban city, have a TN handgun carry permit, and always carry a handgun on me in Memphis city limits. It is that bad brother. Think of it as the 'hood of Nashville.

Edited by 270win
Guest crotalus01

I would never encourage anyone to break the law, but most (not all) of the MPD I have talked to have said they would only arrest and confiscate a gun illegaly carried in a car in "suspicious" circumstances, that they would likely issue a stern warning to get the HCP ASAP. An illegally carried gun on your person will definitely get you a misdemeanor citation at the least and possibly some quality time at Hotel 201.

You know its gone to :poop: when the cops in this liberal bastion recommend everyone who is eligible to get licensed and carry.

Edit to clarify I mean a gun carried in a car by an unpermitted but otherwise eligible person

Edited by crotalus01
Guest db99wj
I would never encourage anyone to break the law, but most (not all) of the MPD I have talked to have said they would only arrest and confiscate a gun illegaly carried in a car in "suspicious" circumstances, that they would likely issue a stern warning to get the HCP ASAP. An illegally carried gun on your person will definitely get you a misdemeanor citation at the least and possibly some quality time at Hotel 201.

You know its gone to :poop: when the cops in this liberal bastion recommend everyone who is eligible to get licensed and carry.

Edit to clarify I mean a gun carried in a car by an unpermitted but otherwise eligible person

Cliff notes story about me and MPD.

I was still working for the bank (midtown by methodist Hospital on union and claybrook), had on many occasion to talk to police, talking one day about permits, I had recently taken class, so I couldn't carry yet, cop said something similiar to "Are you crazy, where you work, the hours you are here, locking up this place, you need to start carrying now"...Had lots of conversations with uniformed, detectives, drug task force types.

Oh, don't do anything illegal, I followed the law.

BreakingNews_Logo.jpg

Well.. I convinced the War Department to accompany me to the HCP class at Guns and Leather this weekend. She's a little skeptical, but the guys at G&L said that there are often as many ladies in the class as men. I think shes under the impression its going to be a room full of fat old dudes with bandoliers and cigars hanging out... I am hoping she is pleasantly surprised when she sees that shooters come in all shapes, sizes (and sexes). :D

Shes shot before back when she was a kid.. but I'm going to take her to On Target this week for an hour or so with the SP101 in .38 and hope she stays "excited" until Saturday!

Wish me (us) luck, gang! :stare:

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Smart Carry and Compact 45acp

I wear a suit at work so I want something pretty small and concealable. I think the SP101 with a SOB holster would be ideal... but I'm open to ideas.
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: (for those who care)

Well, I went to the DMV today to submit my application for my HCP. over an hour wait! Holy cow.. note to file: dont go to the DMV the day before school starts... anyway, I went and did my fingerprints shortly therafter and I guess Im all set. Now I get to wait. Good thing is.. I pick up my EDC gun on Wednesday!

now to find the holy grail: cheap plinking .45 ammo! :rolleyes:

• Moderators
UPDATE: (for those who care)

Well, I went to the DMV today to submit my application for my HCP. over an hour wait! Holy cow.. note to file: dont go to the DMV the day before school starts... anyway, I went and did my fingerprints shortly therafter and I guess Im all set. Now I get to wait. Good thing is.. I pick up my EDC gun on Wednesday!

now to find the holy grail: cheap plinking .45 ammo! :dropjaw:

when you find it let me know!
Guest 270win

Glad to hear you are getting your permit. Keep your handgun close when in Memphis, be safe, and lay low until your permit is processed. I had to wait about a month two years ago to get my first permit in Tennessee (I had an Arkansas license). Mine was processed as a renewal, so it could have been quicker because I did not have to be fingerprinted and take a class here.

I spoke with the Shelby County Sheriff yesterday and he informed me that the Jail (good ol' 201 Poplar) is being filled more and more by younger and younger criminals.

The average age at the Jail in Memphis the between 18-25 and last week they booked a 13 year old.

Beware of the kids.