I need some advice.

tntnixon

First let me preface this thread with a little nostalgia. When I was a child I remember looking into my dad's gun case (back before safes, when wood and glass was sufficient) and looking at all of his guns. One always caught my eye. The dark checkered walnut, the vent rib, the scrollwork and the high gloss blued finish. It was his Remington 1100. And regardless of the value of each firearm (many were worth far more), I was in love with that gun.

That was a love affair that I have secretly carried on with until this very day. While my friends were buying Brownings, Benellis and Berettas, I cleaved unto my 1100 (I bought my own as my very first gun purchase).

After God, my country, and my wife comes my Remington. Like the others, not once has it let me down.

So here's my question. Should I buy a brand new self defense shotgun(i.e. Mossberg 500) or just put a 18 1/2" barrel, magazine extension and a pistol grip on my trusty 1100? I can buy a new gun for about $350 or modify mine fro about $250.

Of course, I'll never throw away my old barrels or stocks and will still use my 1100 for all other uses.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would keep the 1100 as is and get a Mossy (probably an SBS) for self defense. Reason being, if you love that gun so much and you have to use it to put down an invader, you will be missing it for a long time when it gets sent away deep into the evidence vaults at the station. Also, why modify a gun that looks so good already when you can just spend a little bit extra and have it both ways?

Guest 1shot

I would just get me another used Rem. 1100 with a smooth bore slug barrel on it. If you can not find one with the slug barrel on it you can find these used barrels if you look around. You may even find a very cheap longer barrel you can cut down. I would stick with the type of gun you are use to. Because in a self defense situation you want to act on instinct. Believe me if you are use to a 1100 semi auto and go to a pump gun you will forget to pump the action. I have owned a Rem 1100 for 30 years and have taken everything from a mouse to deer with it. I have sent enough lead down it's bore to sink a battle ship.The only thing I have replaced, and you should also replace every 1000 rounds or so is the rubber O-ring gas seal that is on the magazine tube with the steal rings that slips up into the part or the barrel that you attach to the magazine tube. I had my gun jam one time while shooting deer with buck shot in NC. I got one deer but the jam, failure of the bolt to retract enough to allow another round to go into the chamber, caused me to not be able to shoot another deer as the bunch of 5 came. I had shot thousands of rounds through the gun and never changed this seal. My gunsmith friend suggested that it be changed every 1000 rounds or so to insure you will never have this problem. Every time someone brings a 1100 in to have it cleaned or do some minor work on it he always replaces this seal. They are cheap.