Anyone here reload their primers?

Guest Hi Point

Guest TackleberryTom
glaucoma is not a fatal condition.

LOL, sorry, Like I said I was tired, I didn't read my own post. he had glaucoma and passed away at the shooting range from a stroke. Sorry. Now I cant stop laughing.

and when/if SHTF you are prepared.

Well, i have been smelling a fresh pile lately....they have started throwing chunks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team
I do believe that this country has lost alot of good knowledge and experience thanks to watching tv instead of learning from our elders. This continual barrage of brainwashing from the media like "Don't try this at home" or "Professional driver, do not attempt" "Leave it to the experts" This stuff has dumbed down society so that it can be controlled. Does everyone forget that once upon a time, there wasn't a factory producing everything that we use? If people needed it, they made it, themselves.

Tom, I actually couldn't agree with you more on this point. The loss of simple knowledge in this country (and the world at large) is distressing. Not just on stuff like this, but gardening, mechanics, etc... If things were to ever really head south, we would have to relearn a lot of lost knowledge by trial and error - in a time where trial and error will likely cost lives.

I think the knowledge presented here is actually good. I have filed it away to remember myself.

My problems with it as a practical matter remain, though. Match heads are going to be inconsistent at best, and really time consuming to fill primer cups with. Second, get past the corrosiveness on any of the posted mixtures in the link, and you've still got a problem. Potassium Chlorate, Potassium Perchlorate, Antimony Sulfide, etc... are all consided "Explosive Materials" by the ATF as of 04/26/02. It's a shame - when I was a kid we could walk into the pharmacy up the street from my house and buy Potassium Chlorate by the pound (the pharmacist thought my mom had the best fertilized roses in town). Known possession these days will get your door kicked in. Just another way the world has changed for the worse, I guess.

I would strongly discourage people from trying this in any situation other than an emergency. Our grandfathers didn't make their own primers. They bought them just like we do. A percussion cap is an entirely different animal. My own experience with match heads as a kid left me with a scar from spontaneous combustion when there was no other abrasive present than the inside of a smooth rocket tube. If it could happen then, there is no way I would walk around with a bunch of bullets strapped to my hip containing the same mixture.

Guest TackleberryTom
Our grandfathers didn't make their own primers. They bought them just like we do.

My Grandfather did purchase primers...but he made them as well. I saw the equiptment. He did not shoot blackpowder. He only shot centerfire pistol. He made his own primers from scratch. I used to have some of them that he made. He didn't use match heads.

etc... are all consided "Explosive Materials" by the ATF

this is correct but, there are technicalities, you can posess for personal use on your property but need expl. license to transport, unless it is manufactured in to an end use product, eg. ready made primers, g. powder, perc. caps, rocket motors, etc... No one has been prosecuted for such items possesion/use. Though I am not saying that a certain administration wouldn't/will try to severely regulate/eliminate them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hi Point

Maybe the need to reload primers won't happen. I have been noticing more and more primers in stores. Maybe the hoarders have got their fill?