Glock 27 OR Springfield XD40 subcompact

Guest MorePower7701

Guest MorePower7701

I am trying to decide on which one of these is right for me. I have talked with two people who I respect there opinion, one recommeded the Springfield, the other the Glock. I will conseal this pistol in a Bianchi 5 holster while working, I have to bend and crowl in tight spaces. Which of the two would be safest when carried like this, and also serve the purpose when you need to pull it quickly? I am sure this might sound silly, but I do not want any assidents, while I'm working:D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are both great guns and I think you will be happy with either one. But my vote is for the Glock simply because I like it more. I have a 27 that I carry quite a bit. Nothing wrong with the Springfield at all, I just like the Glock more.

-Jason G

Guest forklift

Last weekend, two of my friends were kind enough to let me try both of those exact guns side by side. You would do well to get either.

Glock Pros:

Lighter than XD

sights are clearer on glock

magazines are smooth ejecting

Glock Cons:

don't like the open parts on bottom of the handle

XD Pros:

Field strips easier to me

mag release is easier to operate

loading mags were easier for me

chamber & striker indicator are a nice touch

XD Cons:

not too big on the handle safety

not as much recoil reduction as you'd think for weighing more than the glock

Edited by forklift
Guest jos2f

Hold both. Ergonomics are a huge difference between these two guns. You'd be hard-pressed to argue reliability of one vs the other (both are amazing).

If you're worried about an accident while crawling around, the built in XD safeties are the logical choice (trigger and grip safety.. both passive so it doesn't require more than gripping the gun normally)

I tend to prefer the XD.

Guest Hi Point

I agree with jos it is all about how it feels in your hand. I might be a bit biased, I really love glocks, but a sub compact xd40 is kind of a dream gun for me. So, the XD40 gets my vote.

Guest cwi555
I am trying to decide on which one of these is right for me. I have talked with two people who I respect there opinion, one recommeded the Springfield, the other the Glock. I will conseal this pistol in a Bianchi 5 holster while working, I have to bend and crowl in tight spaces. Which of the two would be safest when carried like this, and also serve the purpose when you need to pull it quickly? I am sure this might sound silly, but I do not want any assidents, while I'm working:D

I would go with the Glock myself. Keep your finger off the trigger till your ready to fire and there won't be any "assidents". while working.

Guest MorePower7701

Well, I shot both today, what a hard choice. Both of these are great guns, I was more accurate with the Glock, but I like the way the XD shot. The XD seemed to have a little less recoil, but the Glock.... well I like the weight of this gun, just feels good IMO. I liked the trigger pull on the XD a little more, but again both are very good. I found a local source to purchase the XD $525 out the door, best I could find on the Glock $560 out the door. For the money I am going with the XD, thanks for all the information. :D

Guest trigem

I own : xd9 sub.compact,xdm40,xd45 & a glock 27,

Love them all, I carry the glock more than the others, but if I am doing things that could pull the trigger hands off, I'll carry a xd, no worries about accidents...

Would not part with any:koolaid:

Sounds like you made the right choice for you job, Enjoy;)

Guest Bulldog Gun Leather

There both excelllant choices. Some perfer the grip angle of the Springfield. I have both. I lean more towards the Glocks because of the ease of do it your self repair.

Randy

I had an XD-9 SC once, really like the gun but as some has said, I'm not crazy about a grip safety. My previous jobs included bending and crawling under houses often so I always chose a holster with a thumb break strap. Might be an extra proceedure to practice when drawing but I liked the extra security of not having to crawl back under the house to retrieve my handgun.

Guest mikedwood

I would say from the situation you described your choice of holster and proper belt will be almost as important as the choice between the 2 guns.

For the best choice of holsters in this area I'd check out Frontier Firearms off 75. It's about a 20 min drive from Knoxville but they have holsters everywhere.

As far as a good belt you are SOL in the Knoxville area from what I know. Gunny's in Maryville had a few 511 belts last time I was there. Wal-mart also has some pretty thick leather belts with a double buckle and that is what I use, they work pretty well.

Just some thoughts, enjoy the new purchase.

Guest readyornot

If you need a good belt, check out Greene's Military and Policed supply on Kingston Pike between Papermill and West Hills. They sell to the public and have a great selection of 5.11 and other tactical gear for military, police, and civilian use.

Ditto on Frontier for the holster. Great store and even better people to deal with.

I have a soft spot for the Glock 27 since it is the sister to my Duty Weapon Glock 22 but I have shot the XD many times and like it as well.

Guest twelvevoltman_69

I prefer the Glock since my EDC is a G27. But, for the environment you are going to be in I would either consider an ankle holster for it or go with one of the ultra lite Smith revolvers in .357 in an ankle carry rig. I've worked under houses before and wouldn't imagine having any gun strapped to my waist would be comfortable.

Guest db99wj
That's why they make different guns - among other reasons, I chose the XD largely because of the grip safety.

- OS

Hold both. Ergonomics are a huge difference between these two guns. You'd be hard-pressed to argue reliability of one vs the other (both are amazing).

If you're worried about an accident while crawling around, the built in XD safeties are the logical choice (trigger and grip safety.. both passive so it doesn't require more than gripping the gun normally)

I tend to prefer the XD.

It's a preference. Glad you shot both and made the decision based on good information. I think about from time to time picking up either a XD9 Subcompact, or a Glock 26 for a little more deep concealment. One day maybe.