surfing the net from phone

who here has internet on their phone?

who has service with verizon? im considering getting it but wondering how fast it is? is it comparable to DSL on a PC? about 2 years ago i had the mobile broadband from verizon for my pc and it sucked, was worse than dial up. and it was the fastest they had at the time.

looking at getting the blackberry tour if it matters.

are there things that you CANT do on the internet on them or can you do anything on them?

about the plan, its confusing knowing what i need to get since there are specific plans for the blackberry devices. i want to be able to surf the web have unlimited texting and about 300 minutes a month.

anybody have any input?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who here has internet on their phone?

who has service with verizon? im considering getting it but wondering how fast it is? is it comparable to DSL on a PC? about 2 years ago i had the mobile broadband from verizon for my pc and it sucked, was worse than dial up. and it was the fastest they had at the time.

looking at getting the blackberry tour if it matters.

are there things that you CANT do on the internet on them or can you do anything on them?

about the plan, its confusing knowing what i need to get since there are specific plans for the blackberry devices. i want to be able to surf the web have unlimited texting and about 300 minutes a month.

anybody have any input?

I have T mobile,

If it works in your area, I have had 5 different Blackberries with them and no problems with anything,going on 8 years, I now have the Curve 8900 it does everything I want, I pay $19.95 for unlimited Net, Text I highly recommend it, if you only need 300 minutes of talk, they have very reasonable plans, also T mobile has UMA, the Curve has this what that does is if connected to a wireless router, it will work off your internet and your minutes will not be charged, I use this offshore and it works very well

Edited by willis68
Guest JHatmaker

I've got a question about mobile Internet. Are the only two phones with the actual Internet (like being at home) the new Palm Pre and iPhone? I have an iPhone and love having the actual Internet vs the "mobile" Internet with just text. I hate AT&T's service though, but don't want to give up my iPhone. I thought about switching to Sprint and getting the Pre, but know nothing about Sprints service, etc; and also about switching to Verizon and getting the Tour (is it the same thing as the Bold?)

Ok, sorry about the hi-jack.

The internet on my Blackberry Curve 8900 is as good if not better than an Iphone, it opens full HTML web pages and the speed is very fast for a mobile phone. I had Cingular (Att) for a while, but I had nothing but problems. Again T-Mobile is the only one who offers UMA, if you have a wireless internet connection, you will have service on your phone without any 3rd party software, it is built in on UMA phones like the 8900 Curve. My friend lives in the middle of the Cherokee national forrest,Reliance TN, when we visited him he has AT&T, his girlfriend has Verizon my UMA worked great connected to his home network, they cant use their cell phones at home

Edited by willis68

The Blackberry Tour, is exactly like the Blackberry 8900 Curve that I have now, if you get that phone you will be very happy and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than I paid, I got mine the day they were launched and paid over $460.00 for it and i have no regrets

Edited by willis68
Guest c.a.s.

Good plan.

My cheapy $30 Verizon prepay phone loads full webpages, but they look HORRIBLE because they get put on a tiny screen. So I don't use it. And it costs a bit, since it's prepay.

Verizon MotoQ here.

It has what I call realish internet.

Most sites(like TGO) work well on this phone,but there are a select few sites that totally suck,and will not work.

Sites that have allot of content to load also has problems,but then again you don't have the same memory as a pc,so that's expected.

PS,The best thing about Verizons internet is the You Tube ap :D

Guest beefcakeb0

i guess i would kind of be the resident nerd here then.... ok

just like all the gun snobs say out there "you get what you pay for" lol.... sucks doesnt it. i have a pocket pc made by htc through sprint. and sprint is pioneering the newest bestest 4g/ wimax. supports video conference. i live in bristol and have awesome net speeds. and in the metros they have double the speeds. my phone actually does have the same amount of memory as some computers. 255 mb of ram with 366+ mb or rom....with a micro sd card slot that supports cards not even prototyped yet. i have an 8 gig card in mine. it has windows mobile as the operating sys. and is more customizable than any other phone on the market... with sprint the plans are considerably less than other carriers... like the commercial says enough to build a dunkin donuts in space... lol if you know somebody that works there you can get on family plans for $20 + a month... the apps are free. get a ppc. you cant change the battery on an iphone. nor do they have insurance.

Guest beefcakeb0

you can listen to music using windows media player. which also plays movies or any videos. 3.2 megapixel camera, wifi, all that jazz.... google touch pro. it has a 5 row qwerty keyboard. i can even turn it into a mobile router/ hotspot. using my sprint internet you can wirelessly use the net on any pc or laptop, or even the iphone or ipod touch.... which you cant reproduce on the iphone...it has an accellerometer/ g sensor and you can log this. or use it to play games, or tilt pics and the web. it uses internet explorer stock but you can upgrade to a lot of other browsers. there is a lot more that i am not listing that this thing is capable, and serves as a mobile portal to the world... if i am at a gun show and dont recognize a gun or know the prices... i can jump on anysite and find out in seconds... and i use it for tgo very often, handle all paypal and other deals on it. o yea i forgot gps.... and copy and paste has been around for a decade not just now in a patch.

rant over, needed that off my chest

I have 2 phones on my account, my Blackberry and the wife's G1 unlimited Everything Internet, voice, Text messengers $167.00 plus tax a month total for both phones together, so if you are only getting 300 voice minutes that is very high

Guest beefcakeb0

yea i pay 100 for unlimited everything including taxs, sprint tv, insurance, texts, data, nights & weekends, and sprint telenav

I have a Samsung I770 Saga. It is Windows Mobile 6.1, and there are other phones that use this operating system. It has the Windows products (Excel, Word, Internet Explorer, etc). I use Opera Mobile browser. You can select the option for it to display in "mobile view" or not and to be "recognized" as a PC or mobile phone. With these options selected, it truly is just like a PC web browser. A lot of the time, I am posting to this site from my phone, and it looks exactly like it does on my laptop (just smaller screen :screwy:). It supports Youtube, Flash videos, Java, etc...

I use Verizon, and they have a fast 3G (soon to be 4G from what I understand) network. It is not as fast as my 10mb cable Internet at home, but it is fast enough to use.

The iPhone is probably cooler from a music/video/gadets perspective, but I like my Windows Mobile 6.1 for browsing the web on the go.