Starbucks givaway today! 7-21

Its not much,but hey,free is free! :)

http://www.comcast.net/finance/forwhatitsworth/1522/markyourcalendarfreescones/

Stick a Post-it on your monitor, set your cell-phone alarm or better yet, tie a string around your finger. Bring this "invitation" (apparently, the word "coupon" is too low-brow) to participating Starbucks stores in the U.S. before 10:30 a.m. on July 21 to receive a free pastry with the purchase of any beverage.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen... fork over several dollars for a coffee, and Starbucks will throw in a scone, muffin, bagel or other morning treat free of charge. Which begs the question: Can they spare it?

In the interests of full disclosure, I've never had a scone. In fact, I've never had coffee from Starbucks either. So I can admit that I'm hardly the company's No. 1 fan. But that said, this free-danish offer still feels a little, well... cheesy.

Granted, free is good. And free-with-purchase is better than nothing. If you are a regular Starbucks customer, by all means… print the invitation and get the pastry you've earned.

But as Starbucks continues to bleed market share in the morning-beverage category to lower-priced competition from the likes of McDonald's, it needs to come up with something more head-turning than an almost-free scone. Earlier this year, to much fanfare (followed by consternation), KFC handed coupon-toting customers two pieces of grilled chicken and two sides for free.

Sure, KFC ran out of chicken and its promotion turned into a bit of a public-relations nightmare. But especially given the current economic climate, the company's head and heart were at least in the right place. Score it a "10" for effort and a "0" for execution.

The way to the hearts of many Americans is through their stomachs -- and wallets. A better-orchestrated nationwide freebie offer would be more welcome right about now than ever before, not to mention potentially wildly successful. Against this backdrop, Starbucks' latest gambit falls short.

Not that we expect a whole lot more from Starbucks. Let's face it... if the thought of using the word "coupon" makes the company shudder (and apparently, it does), we don't expect the next great American freebie promotion to come out of Seattle. So if not Starbucks, then who?

Now if they would just quit charging for WI-FI :tough: Edited by strickj
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest boatme99

Wouldn't take anything from them. A useless blight on the country. Buy your coffee from a local restraunt and stop giving money to elitist, liberal companies.

Guest HexHead
Mapco has better coffee.

McDonald's has much better coffee drinks now. They consistently beat Starbucks in blind taste tests.

Guest Moody
Wouldn't take anything from them. A useless blight on the country. Buy your coffee from a local restraunt and stop giving money to elitist, liberal companies.

Concur... I used to drink Starbucks alot in college, and then started supporting my local coffeehouses - better coffee, better management (owners), and I like to support local folks over some liberal $5.00-a-cup stuff.

But, thanks for the heads-up. Perhaps someone will find it useful to get a free snack with their coffee...

McDonald's has much better coffee drinks now. They consistently beat Starbucks in blind taste tests.

While McDonalds has improved, I still can't stand their coffee. It always seems to taste burnt. :P

Concur... I used to drink Starbucks alot in college, and then started supporting my local coffeehouses - better coffee, better management (owners), and I like to support local folks over some liberal $5.00-a-cup stuff.

Can you recommend some locally owned coffee places around Nashville? I haven't been to a coffee shop for a while, and almost stopped in a Starbucks today. I know where Bongo Java and Fido (I think it's Fido, it's been a few years) are, but are there any others?

Guest m&pc9

Why do they always use blind people to do there test?

I use to eat at McDonalds for breakfast, but now they have the mcCafe and the drive through is much slower. Because everyone is ordering the specialty coffee.

Guest clsutton21
Why do they always use blind people to do there test?

Since they have no eyesight, their sense of taste is better...of course.

Although I've had some decent coffee-type drinks at other places, no one does a Caramel Mocha Frappuccino quite like Starbucks, IMHO.

I don't drink those type of drinks all that often, but when I do, I do like a Starbucks Caramel Mocha Frappuccino above all others. Jozoara, in Murfreesboro is a very close 2nd. Maybe even a tie for first. Just don't get out that way when I have a craving.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest Moody

Can you recommend some locally owned coffee places around Nashville? I haven't been to a coffee shop for a while, and almost stopped in a Starbucks today. I know where Bongo Java and Fido (I think it's Fido, it's been a few years) are, but are there any others?

I have gone to the Edgehill Coffee House some in the past, as well as Sam and Zoe's (which is in Berry Hill). I like them both, but it's been a few months, as I have stopped drinking coffee alltogether (and trust me, it's been hard).

Also, I have heard that the Frothy Monkey is good (stupid name, good coffee, lol). But, Sam and Zoe's is really my favorite. They're right at the intersection of Thompson Lane and Powell Ave/Bransford Ave, in Berry Hill. Good people (a little hippie-crunchy, but really nice and sincere), and they have a great cup of coffee.

But, Sam and Zoe's is really my favorite. They're right at the intersection of Thompson Lane and Powell Ave/Bransford Ave, in Berry Hill. Good people (a little hippie-crunchy, but really nice and sincere), and they have a great cup of coffee.

And only minutes from Guns For America. I'll try to stop by there next time I get out that way. :up: