Armed Guard License Advantages?

Guest 270win

Guest 270win

Are there any advantages to having an armed guard license and proprietary security company (security for say your own consulting company) VS a handgun carry permit? Let's say you have a small business and you haul documents and/or cash around....would it be legitimate to have an armed guard license to protect such documents while working? It appears that if you have an armed guard license, you can carry virtually anywhere, unlike a handgun carry permit. YOu can carry on school property, all parks, stadiums, etc. For example, if you had business to do on school property and had your documents for your business, it would seem legal then to carry a handgun IF you had an armed guard license.

I know it would probably expensive due to licensing, bonding, and biennial range qualificiations, but I know it would be tax deductible.

If this route is not possible, what about the 'special deputy' route? I saw that a few county commissioners in Chattanooga or Knoxville were 'special deputies'. Thanks.

Any comments would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know one disadvantage right off the bat. You are limited to carrying what you are qualified on as a carry weapon.

Learned that when a moon bat called Ralph Briscoe on 99.7 this morning and tried to tell him he was carrying illegally since he was not carrying the weapon he had originally qualified on. Wrong!

Several callers fixed this quick.

I see no advantages.

The special deputy thing smacks of cronyism. I don't think it would protect you much outside the county it was issued in.

HCP is the way to go in TN IMO.

Guest redbarron06

Having an armed guard license does not permit you to carry anywhere. Look at what happened to G Wilsons body guard a couple of years ago. He job was to guard her. He was caught in a bar with her and charged beacuse he was not a contractor of the bar. When I was doing armored car for example we went into airports, Hooters, bars, strip clubs, collage campuses all places where it was illegal at the time to posses a gun. We were covered because we were contracted to provide a service to that establishment. I could not however carry into a post office for example even when doing official company buisness because I was not contracted by USPS to do so. You can not just carry a gun onto school grounds just because you are an armed guard. You have to have a contract with that school to support the claim of why you are armed.

• 2 months later...
Guest Bill Lumberg

Unless your sole goal is to work for low pay, no, there is no advantage. You can't work as an armed guard on a permit. You can't carry personally on an armed guard license. One is for work, one is for personal.

Are there any advantages to having an armed guard license and proprietary security company (security for say your own consulting company) VS a handgun carry permit? Let's say you have a small business and you haul documents and/or cash around....would it be legitimate to have an armed guard license to protect such documents while working? It appears that if you have an armed guard license, you can carry virtually anywhere, unlike a handgun carry permit. YOu can carry on school property, all parks, stadiums, etc. For example, if you had business to do on school property and had your documents for your business, it would seem legal then to carry a handgun IF you had an armed guard license.

I know it would probably expensive due to licensing, bonding, and biennial range qualificiations, but I know it would be tax deductible.

If this route is not possible, what about the 'special deputy' route? I saw that a few county commissioners in Chattanooga or Knoxville were 'special deputies'. Thanks.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Having a armed guard license just means you are licensed to work as a armed security guard for a company. If you want to do your own security work then you have to have a Contract security company license. I have both hcp and armed guard. the reason I got the armed guard was to have it in case I got laid off and it might be a easy way to get a job. Well I was laid off a few weeks ago and have looked for guard jobs. there are several Barney Fife jobs available working for next to nothing. I am better off sitting on my butt and collecting unemployment right now. It pays about the same. But there are good companies that pay well, but they are few and far between and aren't hiring right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RugerFan7

About the only advantage of having an armed guard license is that you get a discount from Glock, but I don't think it is worth the cost of the license. lol