Tomahawks?

What's your guys thoughts on say, a LaGana type Tomahawk for general purpose emergency/SHTF/outdoors use? Seem like it would be a better combat tool in CQB, sans gun, and a lot more useful tool for everything else outdoor/survival related than a knife or shovel. Plus you can throw the thing!:angel:

I'd probably go with the ATC one over the other two. The SOG seems like a cheapie to me.

Vietnam Tomahawk : Cold Steel

AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY : LaGana Tactical (VTAC)

SOG Fusion Tactical Tomahawk

Of course I guess I could always just get proficient with a shovel like the Spatsnaz!:lol:

lagana_lg.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I've heard LOTS of bad stuff about the SOG axe, some bad about the cold steel, but I haven't looked at that one much, so I can't say too much about it, and the other I've never heard of. Everything I've heard though says if you want it for more than looks, stay away from the SOG.

Cold Steel owns ATC. The difference in the CS and the ATC is the ATC has better steel and a synthetic handle with finger indexes. The CS is a LaGana vietnam era copy while the ATC is the updated version.

BTW- check out the "how to" video on the ATC site. Pretty cool.

BTW- check out the "how to" video on the ATC site. Pretty cool.

Missed those, but watching that thing being run over by the truck is impressive - very unlikely I'd ever be able to stress it like that!

I have a CS Norsehawk in my trunk for my Truck Monkey to use along with a CS Kopis Machete. Both are part of my BOE.

I considered the Vietnam Tomahawk, but I wanted something a little longer. If I had it to do over again, I would have to go with the Rifleman's Hawk from CS. It's about over 10oz. heavier and has a hammer opposite the blade, making it much more utilitarian. They say it still throws well and that whatever you hit with it, is going to feel the effects. Rifleman's Hawk : Tomahawk (American Tomahawk Company)

I have the machete, because I've found a machete to be the most useful of tools. When I worked as a Surveyor, I cut thousands of feet of line with a machete. I've even used it to cut 8" locust trees, down. A locust tree will wear just about anything out, they are so hard. But a good machete will do the job.

I selected a CS machete, because they use carbon steel instead of stainless steel, like most makers. I think carbon steel holds an edge longer and sharpens easier than stainless. I picked the Kopis because it has a WICKED POINT! It's close to being a single edged short sword. Sadly CS has dropped them from their line up.

Cold Steel Knives: Cold Steel Kopis Machete, 18 Inch Blade, CS-97KP18S

The other tool I'm currently looking at for my Trunk Monkey to use is a USGI Tri-folding Shovel. They are light and incredibly handy. You can use them for a shovel, a hoe, an axe or mace for defensive purposes. They can be had for around $30 with a cover.

Entrenching Tool

One more tool I think makes a lot of sense is the Bushman's Blade from CS (Jeez I sound like a CS salesman, but I really just like their products, I think they are a good value). It's a real basic knife with a hollow handle that you can tie onto the end of a four to six foot long stick to make a spear. Cost is in the neighborhood of $30.

Bushman Series : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives)

I like tools that have multiple functions. I think they make sense in a SHTF situation.

Edited by Moped
  • Admin Team

I love a good Tomahawk, and really appreciate the fact that there are some great ones on the market today - I really like the ATC ones.

That said, they are really only good at one thing - quiet CQB. For any other task there is simply a better more efficient tool - either a machete, saw, axe or in some cases a hammer. Your grandfather taught you to use the right tool for the job, and for better or worse, a modern tomahawk's intended purpose is to punch through helmets and skulls.

For survival situations, there is something else to consider, and that is that you are going to spend a whole lot of precious energy using a hawk to perform a task that could be handled better with another tool - and with less chance of injury to yourself while in a compromised position.

Do consider one with a nylon handle. The reason is that as an ambulatory member of the male gender, when you get a tomahawk, you are going to proceed directly to the backyard and attempt to throw it at the nearest wooden object of any size. It's going to bounce off that object many times before you get it down, and eventually your handle (even the good hickory ones) is going to break. It doesn't really matter how good you become, there seems to be an effective service life on the handle of a throwing tomahawk. I'm guessing that this is eventually a problem with the nylon ones, too, but maybe to a lesser extent.

There's a guy down in Chattanooga that makes some really nice tactical tomahawks. I know at one time he was shipping them over to the sandbox about as fast as he could make them - I expect that has eased a bit by now. Tactical Tomahawks

Guest canynracer

I like the idea of a tomahawk, but it seems to me that in a survival setting, a hatchet would serve as a better tool/weapon...just cause its one less thing to carry.

Camp Axe, Krayton Handle, 1018

Camp_Axe-Krayton_Handle-1018.jpg

But to me, These are a little better cause of the portability of them Hatchets and Shovels

camp-35.gif

Or

camp-40.gifFive-in-One Multi Purpose Tool

$14.95 $12.95 On Sale!

Be prepared with this five and one tool. It provides not only a shovel, but a saw blade, pick and hatchet/hammer, all using the same handle. Includes nylon carrying case.

Guest coldblackwind
There's a guy down in Chattanooga that makes some really nice tactical tomahawks. I know at one time he was shipping them over to the sandbox about as fast as he could make them - I expect that has eased a bit by now. Tactical Tomahawks

I saw those on tv a while back, they are actually pretty spectacular, super expensive though, like, $350.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest GT_Rat
I'll just leave these here...

_mg_6131.jpg

_mg_6126.jpg

_mg_6125.jpg

_mg_6139.jpg

_mg_6136.jpg

_mg_6134.jpg

shrike_1.jpg

IMG_0778_web.jpg

That's the one I was going to comment on. I just saw it on Modern Marvels recently. Looked like a hell of a utility weapon.

Guest st33ve0
What about GG&G's BattleHawk?

BattleHawk.jpg

All I'm going to say about their hawk is that you should hold one before you decide to buy it. Most people don't know this, but when you laser cut steel it case hardens it which on sharp internal angles makes it brittle. You also want your center of gravity as close to the cutting edge as possible...removing material from the head of the 'hawk is a bit counter-intuitive IMHO.

ETA: One advantage the GG&G 'hawk does have over the round handled 'hawks is that you can index it and be sure you're hitting something with a business end in the dark or without looking at the tool. Our handles are oval shaped for this reason and some people put grip tape or score lines to help the user know which face is which by touch alone.

Edited by st33ve0
Guest st33ve0

Mine goes through kevlar helmets, punctures car tires, rips deadbolts out of doors, cuts through aircraft fuselages, and it's good for chopping wood on camping trips too :P

It's really not meant as a weapon so much as a tool and they are excellent for busting out windows of wrecked vehicles. Also for some guys in Iraq where the locals know the ROE they don't really respect it when you point a firearm at them because they know you can't shoot unless shot at, but they don't know ROE for tomahawks ;)

Guest st33ve0
Aside from chopping firewood, do you really do these other activities?

On occasion yes, I take a couple down to the silencer shoot in GA to chop up some cars and show them off. They're also kinda neat for close quarter combat and just being a general master key.

Guest coldblackwind
Mine goes through kevlar helmets, punctures car tires, rips deadbolts out of doors, cuts through aircraft fuselages, and it's good for chopping wood on camping trips too :slap:

:D

I think you should hook me up with a, ahem, "sample", and I'll be sure to show it off to everyone I see for ya! ;) I've been trying to get one since I saw that show, that's just about 2-3 months worth of disposable cash for a poor college student like myself!

Guest st33ve0
I think you should hook me up with a, ahem, "sample", and I'll be sure to show it off to everyone I see for ya! :slap: I've been trying to get one since I saw that show, that's just about 2-3 months worth of disposable cash for a poor college student like myself!

If you're ever down by Chattanooga you can try mine out [it's an early prototype] :D

I know how the poor college kid thing goes...I'm trying to build a couple more ARs this year, not sure how easy that's going to be...