Postings in Rivergate area

Guest redbarron06

Guest redbarron06

I have been out of town since last Monday when the carry law went into effect. I had the day off so I decided to do some door to door driving in the Rivergate area. I basicly started down at the Home Depot with Outback and worked north to Woodys Steak house, just south of the country line. I did not hit any of the side streets but all of the resturaunts that I knew served alcohol on Gallitan Road in the area. Here is what I found.

No, none, not a single one was posted IAW TCA.

I found 2 places that were incorrectly posted and consistant other comments in other threads .

Outback Steakhouse and Buffalo Wild Wings

Places that were not posted at all (or at least not on the outside of the main entrance)

Dinner Bell (dont serve alcohol anyway)

Logans

Olive Garden

TGI Fridays

Calhouns

Longhorn

Woody's Steakhouse

Garcia's Mexican Rest

Raferty's

Red Lobster

Chili's

Bar-b-cutie

Panera Bread

I also hit the places closer to home and found none were posted at all. These include Richards (on the corner of Whites Creek and OHB), El Rey Azteca (I-24 Exit 40 where Hot Chickens.com used to be) and Mazaltin in Joelton (exit 35 on I-24).

I did not enter any of these establishments but have eaten at most of them before.

ADMIN: Please feel free to merge with another thread if it is appropreate.

Edited by redbarron06
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06
I went to Outback on...Friday night I believe it was, and didnt see any sign. Might have put one up since then? Either way, I found out they dont serve the fried mushrooms I loved anymore, so F them!

It was on a small placard on the left hand door. It said something to the effect of we respect all of your rights but we do not allow any guns. Next time I go by I will get a pic. I might also add that this peticular Outback (at least used to have) armed security in the parking lot because of car break-ins. The guy that was doing it did his class at G&L. He was actually the one that took me up there my first time.

Guest redbarron06

Email traffic between me and Outback.

Upon stopping at this location for lunch I found that the store has posted with a placard that forbids law abiding concealed carry permit holders from entering without first disarming. After futher investigation I am seeing what seems to be a trend (seemingly backed by a corporate policy) of denying law abiding patrons the ability of self defence while in your establishment. I find this disturbing a couple of different levels.

As a law abiding firarm carrier it is ablsolutly insulting that your corporation would make a concious decision to supress a right granted to me by the Constitution that I have spend more than 20 years in uniform defending. No law permits me to consume alcohol while carrying for my protection and that of my family. I now have to be disarmed to eat lunch? Laws that allow carry while dining have existed in many states for several years with very little problems with people that are legaly carrying. What steps are you going through to make sure that nobody is carrying illegally in your establishment?

I am also concerened about a person leaving a firearm in an unattended car. This allows a criminal to break into a car and obtain handguns that they would otherwise not be able to obtain because the person owning them would have them on thier bodies.

I can not support such a corporate policy with my patronage. I will be spreading the word about this anti individual rights policy. Until this policy is changed I will not visit any of your locations.

And today they responded

July 22, 2009

Dear Mr. W,

Thank you for your recent email concerning the newly passed gun law in the State of Tennessee. While we respect the right of all citizens to bear arms, it is our decision to not allow people to do so in our restaurants. We are not disrespectful of the rights of gun owners, we merely want all of our guests to feel welcomed and safe, and frankly see no need for guns to be brought into restaurants.

Please feel free to call me if there are any additional concerns or questions.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Bruce Doucette

615-661-8555

Rachael Wolff

JVP Assistant 0031

615-661-8555

So after reading this I remimbered what one of the guys that used to work for me told me a couple of months ago and I replied with the following email

Mr. Doucette,

Thank you for your timely response, and I do certainly appreciate the effort to afford each and every diner a safe and enjoyable experience while at your establishments.

I do however find it odd that the manager of the Rivergate/Madison TN facility would approach a licensed armed guard to provide security for the parking lot and patrons walking back and forth from the restaurant to their vehicles. When my friend responded that he would have to work through a security company in order to have all of the proper insurance coverage the manager declined. This at least insinuates that the manager was willing to break the law in order to protect his patrons who now have the ability to do so themselves without the extra expense to the business. If there is such a concern for the safety of your patrons, then it is only logical to allow them to secure their own safety within the limits of the law.

Once again thank you for your time.

Ray W

I did not make up the story. The manager approched an armored car guard about doing security "under the table" and thankfully he declined. I wonder if they will respond?

Time to boycot the bloomin onions. th_realmad.gif