Joining the Israeli Defense Force?

waynesan

I still left off the moral part didn't I.

Conscription is immoral because it removes the ability to choose from the individual. The individuals basic ability to choose their own path is essential to the idea of personal liberty put forward by this nations founding father and the philosophers of the enlightenment. The individual if the smallest minority and should be protected from the tide mob rule.

Uh, oh. I sense the ghost of Ayn Rand flitting about.

There is a great distinction between slavery and the draft. Similarly there is a difference between theft and eminent domain. The main distinction is that both slavery and theft are perpetrated by individuals while the draft and eminent domain are acts of the state.

Further, one always has an option to being drafted. One can go to jail instead, as Cassius Clay did. The only option to enslavement I know is death.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6
If they bring back a draft they should offer a non-military option for all the hippies like the peace corp or some other way of serving the country.

Not necessarily just the hippies but other folks like Quakers that have a religious objection to fighting or even folks that simply are not suited for military service due to any number of reasons such as a physical limitation for example.

Give everyone an opportunity to participate.

BTW, God bless the individual that designed the uniform slacks for the ladies of the IDF. Those hip hugging low riders look OUTSTANDING on those gals.

*sigh*

this is a conversation that, if started anywhere else, is guaranteed to get ugly. I don't think it would here simply because of the caliber of people that are in the discussion.

Oh well so much for the caliber of the people involved. I have some thoughts about this.

Personally, I volunteered for slavery. Kinda though it was my civic duty.

As did I. The opportunity to serve my country and protect my family and neighbors was an honor I am very proud of. At 34 I would willingly do it again(although I doubt they would have me). I think that 2 years of active service and 2 years inactive would be a great way to improve the character of this country as a whole. It would not have to be military necessarily I am sure they could use some help rebuilding New Orleans or securing our borders. I see it as a labor pool that could be used for immense good. Not to mention military service taught me an attention to detail that has helped me in all facets of life. I just wish that more people in this country saw it as an honor and duty rather than a burden they might have to bear.