Opinions needed. XD .40 vs S&W M&P

THE COOP

I love springfield XD's. They just shoot SO beautifully. Also, doesn't our army use springfield?

No, not for a long time.

The Springfield Armory of today (Geneseo, IL) was/is not connected to the original Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA).

XD's of course, are made in Croatia, Springfield is the importer.

- OS

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not for a long time.

The Springfield Armory of today (Geneseo, IL) was/is not connected to the original Springfield Armory (Springfield, MA).

XD's of course, are made in Croatia, Springfield is the importer.

- OS

OS,

You would be amazed at how many people do not realize they are not the same companies, Almost everyone I have met that owns an XD likes to believe that they are made by the original Springfield Armory and do not even realize the pistols (XD's) are imported :up:

OS,

You would be amazed at how many people do not realize they are not the same companies, Almost everyone I have met that owns an XD likes to believe that they are made by the original Springfield Armory and do not even realize the pistols (XD's) are imported :up:

Well, once you own one, the "Produckt Karlovac - Croatia" on the slide and "Made in Croatia" on the frame really ought to be a slight clue, eh?

- OS

Well, once you own one, the "Produckt Karlovac - Croatia" on the slide and "Made in Croatia" on the frame really ought to be a slight clue, eh?

- OS

Yes, that is when the guys I am referring to asked me WTF is this? :up:

Guest samurrocket

I fired both the XD and the M&P before settling on an M&P. The interchangeanle backstraps seemed to make the M&P fit my hand better. The only downside that I saw to the XD was the backstrap safety. I was not a fan of it.

Rent both at a gun range and try them out. Once again, it comes down to personal preference.

Edited by samurrocket
  • Administrator
So as my quest continues for a .40 call full size I found and held a used XD 40 today and the price was right, then I held a used S&W M&P and did it feel/fit me nice and it was only $50 more, I've got an offer on my P345 for what I wanted out of it just would like some advice from other members on which is a better and more accurate gun? As always thanks for the help!!!! COOP

You are comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. The M&P is a duty-grade weapon and has the full backing, warranty and support of a top tier American firearm manufacturer. The XD is not.

In case you have'nt seen my updated thread!!!

So I sold the Ruger early Sat. morning and ready 2 buy my new gun, I had seen a XD.40 used in the boro shop for $450 but was advised to call Guns and Leather which I did and they had a new XD for less than the used and in stock so I headed to Greenbrier. I asked for and met Daniel a TGO member and told him what I was interested in, even though I liked the M&P better price came into play and the XD was around $100 cheaper so I purchased the gun. I used my free range pass, bought 100 rounds and headed down stairs to try out my new XD, I couldnt put more that 10 rounds in the magazine due to the spring being so strong but no problem it would weaken over time so I start shooting and everything good untill after 30 rounds when it started to FTL? I would drop the mag, make sure the chamber was clear insert the mag, cock it, shoot 1 time and jam again, after 3 times in a roll I went upstairs and asked for some help with my 30 minute old gun, one of the sales reps came down and tested it and same problem, changed mags and jammed again? He then feild strips the gun, check's everything and puts it back together when I notice a black piece of steel still sitting on the table, the slide lock broke off and was sitting there!!! WTH!!! We go see the gunsmith and he says it needs to be replaced and sent back to Springfield and he would write a letter for the gun. So the sales rep says he'll get me another new one to replace it but none in stock. Now to be honest I'm having 2nd thoughts about the XD and ask to see the M&P, If I was to pay the difference it was going to be a real $$$$ tight week untill I get paid, anyways Daniel comes out to talk to me, we work a couple things out and I buy a M&P at a great discount. Back down stairs shoot 70 round without a glitch and head to the house. WOW!!!

A couple of things I need to say, the XD issue I'm sure is rare but it broke after 30 rounds but maybe things happen for a reason and the only real reason I bought the XD was the added safety switch and $ savings, however the M&P they sold me has the thumb safety switch like my 1911. So I got the gun I wanted in the 1st place (M&P) and was shooting quite well for a newbee, at 15 yards I had about a 5" scatter with a couple bulls eyes!!!! NICE

Last thing to say, Guns and Leather!!!! These people are awsome!! The prices are excellent, customer service is outstanding and when there was a problem they made it right!!! Thanks Daniel, YOU RULE!!!! COOP

You are comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. The M&P is a duty-grade weapon and has the full backing, warranty and support of a top tier American firearm manufacturer. The XD is not.

I can't believe you make a statement like that.

The XD is as much of a "duty grade" weapon as Glock and MP.

Indeed, the XD (as HS2000) is actually USED by an army (the Croatian military) unlike MP or Glock. It is also used nation wide by Croatian police, and who knows what other European agencies.

In America, any number of PDs use XD, (admittedly, not perhaps highest profile ones like NYPD or LAPD) and the XD is often on the short list of weapons allowed for personal carry by off duty LEO's, where a mandatory list is implemented.

The Glock is certainly not warranted or supported by a top tier American manufacturer either. But maybe you don't consider Glock a "duty grade" weapon either? Matter of fact, our own US military uses a pistol that is not warranted or supported by a top tier American manufacturer!

I wouldn't have probably even commented on the statement, except I was so amazed to see it coming from you, David.

- OS

• Administrator
I can't believe you make a statement like that.

Believe it. My experience and the cumulative experience of many others indicates that what I said is exactly correct. You're entitled to disagree, but you're likewise entitled to be wrong. :bowrofl:

Believe it. My experience and the cumulative experience of many others indicates that what I said is exactly correct. You're entitled to disagree, but you're likewise entitled to be wrong. :bowrofl:

Okey dokey.

But just, wow.

- OS