Trading my Ruger for a XD

THE COOP

So heres my thinking, I have 2 - .45's, RIA 1911 compact and a Ruger P345, if you have read my threads I love the RIA and it will be my carry gun, so I'm thinking of trading my ruger for a XD .40 caliber, I want a better range gun without loosing to much umph!!!! Just in case I want to carry it, I dont want to go into the Glock vs XD debate because I read enough of those threads!!! Since I'm still a newbee am I thinking correct about the full size XD being a good range gun for the price? Any other comments or sugestions would be appreciated!!! COOP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the cross calibers you come out on top moving up to the XD.

I have gotten rid of all my .40's and .38's to stay within the 9mm and .45 ACP so I don't have to keep so much different ammo. I reload for .45 and will be doing 9mm as soon as I get off my duff and get some dies.

Something to think about. Of course once in the XD, you might be able to trade for a XD45 if you consider the caliber differences an issue.

Guest db99wj
I guess I should add I'll be trading my Ruger + cash for a xd, still wondering will the XD .40 be a better range gun than a Ruger P345? COOP

In my opinion, the XD is not only a better range gun but an outstanding carry gun that I would and do bet my life on (I carry one everyday!) I can't compare the accuracy, but my XD shoots better than I do. Reliability, the XD can't be beat.

The P345 is actually a pretty sweet shooting gun...if you are using it only at the range I would stay with it. Having shot both I can say this without shooting from the hip (rimshot)

...SHTF - XD is a more proven gun that can put out a lot of heat fast and reliable.

You've shot some .40s I guess?

I think they're less tame than a .45 in a gun size for size.

Me, I'd either stay with same caliber for stocking simplicity, or if just "for the range" as you say, go with 9mm for the much reduced cost of ammo.

Of course the XD in any model or any caliber is a mighty fine heater.

- OS

Well I think I'll put my Ruger up for trade or sale on the other site and go with the XD .40 full size, I've only shot a 38 special and both my .45's, maybe because I'm a new hand gun shooter I was more accurate with the compact 1911 maybe because of the steel frame compare to the Ruger which kicked a lot harder I think due to the poly frame? But I'm a newbee so what do I know? Thanks for all the help and opinions, I'm not a fan of 9's and my work partner was a state trooper and wont let me buy one, the ex state trooper's opinion is to only shoot 1 time and be done!!! COOP

Guest Rugerman

I don't think there is very much cost savings going from a .45 to a .40. From .45 to 9mm there is. If it were me and cost wasn't an issue, I'd get the XD .45 to keep my calibers uniform. If cost is an issue, I'd get the XD9.

Well I think I'll put my Ruger up for trade or sale on the other site and go with the XD .40 full size, I've only shot a 38 special and both my .45's, maybe because I'm a new hand gun shooter I was more accurate with the compact 1911 maybe because of the steel frame compare to the Ruger which kicked a lot harder I think due to the poly frame? But I'm a newbee so what do I know? Thanks for all the help and opinions, I'm not a fan of 9's and my work partner was a state trooper and wont let me buy one, the ex state trooper's opinion is to only shoot 1 time and be done!!! COOP

No offense but your friend is an idiot (no offense):D. The stats show only a marginal difference between 9 and .45, for what the stats are worth. As far as the trade the XD is a far better gun than the Ruger. Not that there is anything wrong with the Ruger just different classes. The SW40 would be a step back IMO, from both the Ruger and XD mainly due to the aweful trigger. Especially for range use.

PS - don't State Troopers use .357 SIG? A 9mm bullet with +p+ velocity.

Edited by Smith
Guest db99wj

It's the trigger. Most 1911's trigger pulls are nice, a good trigger on a 1911 is like butter and will make you giggle a little.

Guest foister82

I think you will like the XD, but if you're going full size .40, take a look at the XDM. The cost difference in the 40 model isnt really that big of a jump compared to fullsize