Double Starr AR 15 Good or Bad ??

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if that is still the same as jt industries, then i have had great experience with them. i first got a CAR kit from them in about 2002 but i could not get it to group tighter than about 3in at 100yds no matter what ammo i tried. tried over a year to get it to group right. i took it to the gun show one saturday when they were there and told them the story. they took the top end on trade at their current retail price and i got a new upper. now i have a gun i am very glad to own and is very accurate with the right ammo and me on a good day.

bill

I built an AR using their parts kits in November in it has run great. The fit and finish is just as good as a Bushmaster, Colt, or any others I have seen. I have 5 more lowers that are waiting to be built. Between my Dad and brother they have 10+ Double Star guns between them. I think they are as good as any other AR company out there. They also provide great customer service, espically when they used to set up at the guns shows before all the companies got behind on AR building. Double Star and J&T Distributing are owned by the same people. Double Star is the rifle company and J&T Distributing is the parts company.

-Jason G

Guest rabidrhino

Let me throw out a somewhat different/dissenting opinion. For one to properly answer your question, you would likely need to supply more information on what is your intended purpose.

If you are just plinking and never shooting more than a couple thousand rounds a year, you are likely fine with a bottom tier AR. However, if you plan to shoot 2000 rounds in a Pat Rogers class, put some serious mileage on the gun, or be competitive in 3-gun competitions, you need to do some more investigating.

I would suggest that you start reading here Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums and see all the features that go into a top-tier AR vs. a bottom tier AR.

As an aside, there are good deals to be had right now. Quite a few top-tier ARs that need homes.

Let me throw out a somewhat different/dissenting opinion. For one to properly answer your question, you would likely need to supply more information on what is your intended purpose.

If you are just plinking and never shooting more than a couple thousand rounds a year, you are likely fine with a bottom tier AR. However, if you plan to shoot 2000 rounds in a Pat Rogers class, put some serious mileage on the gun, or be competitive in 3-gun competitions, you need to do some more investigating.

I would suggest that you start reading here Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums and see all the features that go into a top-tier AR vs. a bottom tier AR.

As an aside, there are good deals to be had right now. Quite a few top-tier ARs that need homes.

I would strongly disagree that Doublestar is bottom tier. Doublestar is not Noveske, but it is certainly not bottom tier. Doublestar is right at home with Stag, S&W, and Bushmaster.

I would strongly disagree that Doublestar is bottom tier. Doublestar is not Noveske, but it is certainly not bottom tier. Doublestar is right at home with Stag, S&W, and Bushmaster.

Agreed, I'll put my Double Star or my Bushmaster up against a "top tier" AR any day. IMHO the only thing the "top tier" AR's have on the others is barrel quality and maybe accuracy, maybe. But if Im shooting very long distances I want a bolt gun over an AR anyway.

-Jason G

my sbr is Double Star upper and lower, very happy with workmanship. it only has about 1000 rounds thru it though, hates wolf. Buy It.

Yours wont run Wolf? Ive shot the **** out of mine using the Wolf polymer coated stuff and it hasnt missed a beat.

-Jason G

Nope! sold the last few hundred, gave it a try to save some $ but would not run but it was good for failure drills.

i know some never have a problem with it.

did not matter if i started with brass case then went to wolf or what as long as wolf was in the mix could not run a mag without a problem.

Why would it not be competitive in 3-gun? Because it didn't cost $1500-$2000?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabidrhino viewpost.gif

Why would it not be competitive in 3-gun? Because it didn't cost $1500-$2000?

i do know that a Double Star rifle finished 46TH over all and in the top 15 on the long range at the 08 Ft. Benning AMU 3 gun out of 175 (?) shooters. the shooter is not a Grand Master or even a "B" class so that is pretty damn good agaisnt all the big names at the match.

me i did win when my division at the KY 3 gun with my DS.

Guest docvantrease2003

i have two ars built with double star parts kits one on sw lower other on double star lower.will build another one in october at knob creek i hope