RIA 1911 Compact Question?

THE COOP

I also bought a New RIA compact 1911 last week and have a newbee question, My gun was new and never shot so over the weekend I took it to a freinds backyard range and was pleasently surprised how well it shot and I was more accurate than my Ruger P345 and to be honest I'm loving this gun more than my Ruger, so I went to the gun and knife show in Nashville on Sunday and bought a set of Houge ruberized grips with finger grooves and it feels even better now but I couldnt find any clips for it so here's my newbee question, I was told by some dealers any .45acp clip would work and then others said only a clip from the manufacturer would work. Anybody know what clips I should buy and where can I get them? Thanks!!! COOP

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thereisadifference2.jpg

To answer your question though. Depending on the length of barrel is the type of 1911 magazine you will need to buy. Any 1911 magazine of that type will work though. Of course people have favorite brands and that is usually for good reason as the 1911 with bad magazines is prone to issues.

Yes your RIA will use other 1911 MAGAZINES. I would suggest ACT or Mec Gar as great aftermarket magazines.

One of the members here pointed me to this fellow and I ordered several parkerized (coating) magazines from him. He had them in blue, nickel and the Parked.

His name is Greg Cote. Email him for his current price list and tell him Brent the guy from Tennessee sent you. I got the Mec Gar's for 17.95 back in February.

His email is

gusaoz@yahoo.com

Oh, if yours is a compact model with the 4 inch barrel, you will need the officers model magazines which are a bit smaller. Your current magazine should hold 6. If it's a 7 or 8 round capacity you need the full size magazine.

Edited by Rightwinger
Guest HexHead
I am a Wilson man myself. Never had a failure with one.

+1. If you're staking your life on your gun, Wilson mags are the only way to go. 90% of the potential problems you can have with a 1911 are generally magazine related.

And it's the frame size, not the barrel that dictates which size magazine you need.

Guest Rugerman

After Wilson mags, I really like the Chip McCormicks. I "hear", and I have no experience with this, that the RIA mags are prone to issues.

Guest bkelm18

Any 1911 magazine (yes they are called magazines, not clips) would fit, but for it to be flush with the bottom of the grip you would need an Officer's sized magazine which I believe holds 6 rounds.

Wilsons are the top of the line but I have a hard time paying that premium price. Should be 7 rounds in a compact or officers size magazine. Kimber makes some mags that are convertible with metal base plate and two sizes bumpers that fit well in the RIA compact but I have not had the time to test them yet. They are 1/2 the cost of the wilson's and were available locally. BTW......on target has wilson's in stock for the officer size 1911 or compact RIA.

Guest Rugerman
Wilsons are the top of the line but I have a hard time paying that premium price. Should be 7 rounds in a compact or officers size magazine. Kimber makes some mags that are convertible with metal base plate and two sizes bumpers that fit well in the RIA compact but I have not had the time to test them yet. They are 1/2 the cost of the wilson's and were available locally. BTW......on target has wilson's in stock for the officer size 1911 or compact RIA.

When it comes to guns, I put the most top quality and money into my home defense and carry guns. I could care less if my range gun has a hiccup now and then, but my defense ones sure better work. So, I really don't mind the premium. :chill:

Guest db99wj

I know an old guy that called them clips. RIP :confused:

RIA is on my short list of wants, I will go with Wilson mags due to their reputation.

Edited by db99wj
Guest logicprevails

I've heard a lot of old guys call them 'clips'. Mostly old war vets. Definitely go with Wilson. You fer shure get what you pay for, and sub par mags are a stovepipe waiting to happen.