Smith.. 642

Guest Fwdftw

Guest Fwdftw

GLAD i rented one before i bought :P put 50 30 specials through it and have a blister on my thumb!! lol Its not for me.. i guess ill just keep totin the glock 19 :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

My philosophy is this: Snubbies aren't for fun, they are for saving your life. I hate shooting mine and only shoot enough to be proficient but it sure is nice just to stick it in my pocket and go about my day and not worry about other issues associated with carrying on the hip. Plus they pack a bit more wallop than some of the other pocket pea-shooters.

Guest m&pc9
My philosophy is this: Snubbies aren't for fun, they are for saving your life. I hate shooting mine and only shoot enough to be proficient but it sure is nice just to stick it in my pocket and go about my day and not worry about other issues associated with carrying on the hip. Plus they pack a bit more wallop than some of the other pocket pea-shooters.

+1

Guest HexHead

Like I kept trying to tell my wife who hates shooting my 442, "So what if you hate it, if you ever have to use it, you won't care."

As stated many times, small guns are generally not fun to shoot but for that once in a lifetime that you use it to save your life. If you want a fun S&W get a 27, 28, 29, or similar, something that you can get a comfortable grip on. Keep in mind that what fits my hand may not fit yours.

oldogy

+2

+3

/HOWEVER...$20-30 will grant access to literally hundreds of different grip options for a round butt J-frame. Can easily turn it into a very fun shooting, confidence inspiring, compact carry gun.

You think the 42 is bad...be glad you didn't rent one of the 12oz .357 guns.

You think the 42 is bad...be glad you didn't rent one of the 12oz .357 guns.

They're not that bad....

I have a 340pd that I shoot on a regular basis. I like it.

It is always fun to load up 4 rds of 38spl and one .357 and watch people almost drop the gun though. :rolleyes:

Guest mikedwood

I shot some Speer Lawman out of my 38 Taurus snubbie that really hurt. The regular .38 158 grain isn't bad at all though. I like shooting the .38 snubbie.

My hammerless 9mm 905 snubbie isn't as much fun.

Indeed. My 638 is no fun to shoot at all, but it sure is nice to know it is there.

+1

I hate shooting my 638 with the factory grips, but I carry it more than any other gun. I have a set of Pachmyr Decelerators on it now that make it much, much easier to shoot and control. However, it ain't no 686 fun target gun for the range. Likewise, I don't like carrying around the heavy 686 in a holster under my shirt. So, I go with the 638 and hope I never need to shoot it. B

GLAD i rented one before i bought :D put 50 30 specials through it and have a blister on my thumb!! lol Its not for me.. i guess ill just keep totin the glock 19 :P

You are pretty tough if you put 50 +P's through it. When I first go my 442 I took it to the range and the first thing I did was skin one of my thumbs(I've forgotten which one) and I thought that I was gripping it correctly. I put about 5 or 10 of the +P's through it , then went with standard load for about 20 more rounds. That was all I wanted. I didn't realize how docile my Glock 26 is.

I long ago decided that me and my J-Frames were going to get along a whole lot better if I used standard pressure .38 ammo in them! At the close ranges a snubby might be used at, I think it is more important to be able to get off multiple shots than one super-duper wooly mammoth killing Uber+++P or .357Mag flame belcher! I do not go around picking fights with Bloods or Cripps, I just worry about the Meth or Crack head that tries to knife me at the ATM.I am more worried about putting 5 COM than one shot knockdown power. If I see a whole bunch of scruffy looking young guys, I stay in the car and drive away. I shoot both Airweights (642 and 637) and Stainless (640 and 60) varying with the weather dictated clothing. With standard pressure .38 Special ammo I find all of them quite controllable. I usually put 50 rounds through whatever I am carrying at a weekly range session and I still have all of the nerve endings in my hands. And I am a little ole grandpa guy not Arnold Schwarzenegger! Good rubber grips help a whole lot. I pocket carry with deep pockets that hide the snubbie so I threw the bootgrips away and I use Uncle Mike extended (S&W Stock!) and Pachmayr Compacs grips.

Guest TXRoadhouse

I love shootin my snubbie, but its not an airweight, its a mini sledgehammer - sp101 DAO. it handles the hottest 357 loads with minimal effort. Now if i can just figure out which front sight to put on it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Muttling
I love shootin my snubbie, but its not an airweight, its a mini sledgehammer - sp101 DAO. it handles the hottest 357 loads with minimal effort. Now if i can just figure out which front sight to put on it.

I used to have a steel frame Smith .357 (I think it was a 66) with a 2 inch barrell. Easy weapon to shoot and extremely accurate. My only problem with it was the noise level and it being a bit heavy for a CCW.

I went to the airlight because I got a good deal from someone who hated the recoil and it isn't fun to shoot, but I'll take that for an 11 oz .357 that I can carry in a bathing suit.