Why not a point restriction in TN?

Guest GunTroll

Point restriction or not?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Point restriction or not?

Says something alright! Need to blast more slick heads. If you see horns, then pass until they meet or beat the point reg. Even places with point restrictions let you blast anything under a certain inch. Even I know that people can't see the sex organs so this is acceptable.

So I have asked for some info on why not a point restriction. I have got peoples response as to why they would like to have one but, not anything worth a legitimate argument from anyone other than WD-40 for the reason behind not wanting one. Even WD's isn't head on without a doubt a good reason for NOT. Most of you naysayers probably were raised with "if its brown its down". Real hard to get past that, and I know. So again I'll ask for perhaps an article from some hunting rag or your state biologist or any biologist as to why it is beneficial to not have a point restriction.

To be fair I'll do the same for why to have one or want one.

The 2007-2008 TN hunting guide has the article stating why they oppose a point restriction. It's on about page 26 or 27.

Here is the article: http://inspiredts.com/assets/huntguide.pdf

I want a point restriction, and I think their logic has some flaws.

Edited by Batman
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Here is an article that rides the line for both arguments. Its from 2006 and talks about PA a good bit but I find it good for both sides.

Dennis Walrod - Freelance Writer - ANTLER POINT RESTRICTIONS: A Case of Unintended Consequenses?

Here is another from QDMA on PA regs. Kind of a before and after analysis.

Quality Deer Management Association

And then another from article about APR (antler point restrictions) from MN that talks about MO regs on this matter. Got to scroll down a bit.

Postbulletin.com: Rochester, MN

Here is something from TX wildlife agency or whatever they call themselves...

Antler Restriction Regulation

Something from MI I believe.

Antler Point Restrictions - Do they work | Mule Deer Fanatic

They go on and on so I'll spare you. Google and see.

Yes I pulled out the stories that benefit the APR being instated. There are just as many that oppose it to be fair. Its more or less an opinion and nothing more. Pro's and Con's. There is no right or wrong. I do however think an experiment should take place on Public land over a set time period and the results be published to better educate the people in this matter. In this you private land hunters can do as you please and the public land hunter will be confined within this reg.

I did a little research, emailed a few friends and relatives in other states (just recieved one back from a cousin) that has this system and they all said it was tough in the beginning but it is great now. I did ask them about the poaching and they said it did increase but slacked off as time went on. So I voted yes!
Not to try to stir up ;) . But People who have voted yes for a point restriction have at least posted why they feel this way. Only WD-40 and a few others out of the 6 who are naysayers told there opinion of why they feel the way that they voted. And those reasons stated for a no point restriction sounded more personal than logical. So........

I am not totally agianst it but not totally for it. I think it would be a step in the right direstion.

I also emailed them waiting on their response.

Finally a response

Email they sent

Shaun,

Thanks for your inquiry. It is the agency's firm belief that antler restrictions be left up to the individual hunter and/or property. Over the last twenty years, Tennessee's three-buck limit has produced phenomenal results. In fact, 2008 marked the lowest yearling buck harvest in over two decades. If Tennessee hunters are voluntarily passing up yearling bucks, we see no need to restrict them further.

Daryl Ratajczak

Big Game Program Coordinator

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency

P.O. Box 40747

Nashville, TN 37204

Phone: (615) 781-6615

Fax: (615) 781-6654

Finally a response

Email they sent

Shaun,

Thanks for your inquiry. It is the agency's firm belief that antler restrictions be left up to the individual hunter and/or property. Over the last twenty years, Tennessee's three-buck limit has produced phenomenal results. In fact, 2008 marked the lowest yearling buck harvest in over two decades. If Tennessee hunters are voluntarily passing up yearling bucks, we see no need to restrict them further.

Daryl Ratajczak

P.O. Box 40747

Nashville, TN 37204

I believe he is wrong about the 3 buck limit for the last 20 years. The buck limit might be closer to 10 years old, plus or minus 2 years.

I do agree with him about letting the hunters and property owners govern themselves. Too much interference and all of us hunters might start wearing these....:tough:

LOL

Guest GunTroll
Finally a response

Email they sent

Shaun,

Daryl Ratajczak

P.O. Box 40747

Nashville, TN 37204

You and I must have been thinking the same thing! I sent an email as well and got the same response you did word for word. Just got it today. From the same guy even. Mine did however have a little bit more info on the bottom that answered WMA point regs. This guy said some WMA's do have em and some don't. At least he answered our emails.

Guest GunTroll

I see this guys point but it doesn't align with my thoughts. I guess I'll just see when the time comes. It would get me in my gut to pass on a little fork horn that no one knows what he will do as far as growth goes just to hear him get blasted 50-100 yards away. Oh well. Good topic though.