what records do I need to make for a sale?

Guest jimdigriz

Guest jimdigriz

I'm planning on selling one of my guns at the gun show Saturday. What kind of record (if any) does TN law require me to keep? Are there any other legal issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Jim

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
I'm planning on selling one of my guns at the gun show Saturday. What kind of record (if any) does TN law require me to keep? Are there any other legal issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Jim

None. He hands you cash. You hand him gun. Just ask if they are legally prohibited from owning a firearm and ask to see a driver's license. You don't need to see data, just that it's a TN license. And make sure they are over 18. :tough:

Guest jimdigriz
no records, no legal issues

some will argue it is wise to keep records, but not required.

just swap the cash for weapon and go your separate ways

I thought I read in Boston's Gun Bible that TN required a record of sale to be made? Was this changed fairly recently?

no records, no legal issues

some will argue it is wise to keep records, but not required.

just swap the cash for weapon and go your separate ways

To be fair, you are supposed to know that buyer is a TN resident and to have to no reason to believe that he is not legal to own a weapon (no felonies, mental incapacitation/commitments, etc ... all the same things on a 4473).

However, you don't have to have PROOF of any of this. And there is NO paperwork required.

Some folks use a a form found elsewhere on this site.

Some at least ask to see DL for residency.

Most don't do either.

- OS

I thought I read in Boston's Gun Bible that TN required a record of sale to be made? Was this changed fairly recently?

To the best of my knowledge, the state has never required any paperwork be kept, or even filled out for the private sale of a firearm.

when i sold two guns i had recently i was forced to have a record of it ( or it was highly reccommended) because i had to prove to the court that i did not own a gun, or risk them being put into state custody.

all other times i did not require anything when selling a gun. even though most looked to be upstanding citizens.

i have encountered having to give info in order to complete the sale with someone else, but its not a big deal to me either way, as if anything were to happen, you bought it from some guy on the street corner or you sold it to some guy in a black hoodie and sunglasses in an alley.

probably the less you can remember about a sale the better.

Besides. Say you sell a gun , you get a look at the TN drivers license, the guy you sell to is really on the up and and up.

A few years down the road something happens, the gun is used in a crime. What is to say the person you sold it to was involved in any manner. The thing may have been sold five times over. Heck it might be sold five times over that same day you sold it to begin with.

Like I said, the less you know or can recall might be best.

Guest HexHead
That is correct.

Just a private transaction where no money was exchanged more or less.

Well, as long as they reside in the same state.

Guest momuzyk

Ok my ? would be then if I purchased the gun from a dealer the state has my info as the owner with the serial number of the gun. How do you go about removing this information so if anything happens, I am not linked to the weapon.

Thanks,

Guest HexHead
Ok my ? would be then if I purchased the gun from a dealer the state has my info as the owner with the serial number of the gun. How do you go about removing this information so if anything happens, I am not linked to the weapon.

Thanks,

Theoretically, when you dealers calls in the NICS check, the state purges that information within 24 or 48 hours and doesn't keep a record of it. The dealer however, must keep the paper copy you signed for something like 20 years.

If the ATF needs to try and track a gun, they contact the manufacturer to find out which distributor or gun shop it was initially shipped to. The dealer then can tell them who it was initially sold to. The trail runs cold beyond that. :tinfoil:

Guest bkelm18

The only record of you owning that gun that you bought from a dealer resides on the form you filled out and in the dealer's bound book. Both of which reside with the dealer. The state destroys the info obtained from the background check withing 48 hrs or something. If the police want to initiate a trace, there is no magical firearm registry. They have to contact the manufacturer, that will lead them to the distributor, and that will lead them to the dealer, who will lead them to you. When questioned just say you sold the gun. They will have absolutely no other evidence connecting you to anything else in the crime and will move on.