VA Non-Resident Permit

Guest Bill Cooksey

Guest Bill Cooksey

Hello all. First time posting. I've been lurking for quite a while, and I've searched all over the boards for an answer to my questions, but I've not found one. First I'll detail the primary question, but I have at least one additional question, and there may be more depending on the answers you are able to provide.

Considering the wait time in TN for a new permit now combined with the fact that so many papers are making it too easy for bad guys to determine the names of permit holders, I am considering applying for a VA Non-Resident Permit. It appears they issue much faster, and everything I've read shows that the permit would be accepted in TN. Am I correct so far?

If I'm correct to this point, and considering I have been a TN resident for many years would the six month rule regarding transferring the VA to the TN still apply, or would I not fall under that guideline since I was a resident of TN when I received the VA permit?

Thanks for any help, and it this has already been answered elsewhere please accept my apologies and just let me know where to go.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question. I have no idea what the answer is for sure.

Since you are a TN resident, I don't think a VA permit would legally allow you to carry here. TN law says if you are a TN resident, you must have a TN permit.

If you are going to end up getting a TN permit anyway, seems it would be easier to simply apply for a TN one to start with.

Even if you get the VA one then transfer it to TN, you will still be in the TN database when you get the TN permit, so you really haven't solved anything there.

Guest Bill Cooksey

Fallguy,

Thanks for jumping in. The best reason to get the VA permit is to stay off the lists published in TN. Other reasons include:

1) I'm qualified for the VA permit with no additional training course required, and for about the price of a course (no offense to the great folks teaching and hosting the courses) I can get the VA permit.

2) It appears the VA permits are being issued in less than thirty days right now which is WAY better than TN. Even if I had to turn around and use the VA permit to obtain a TN resident permit I would be weeks to months ahead time wise.

If it's legal according to state law I would be ahead time wise no matter what, and possibly I would also come out much better financially.

Fallguy,

Thanks for jumping in. The best reason to get the VA permit is to stay off the lists published in TN. Other reasons include:

1) I'm qualified for the VA permit with no additional training course required, and for about the price of a course (no offense to the great folks teaching and hosting the courses) I can get the VA permit.

2) It appears the VA permits are being issued in less than thirty days right now which is WAY better than TN. Even if I had to turn around and use the VA permit to obtain a TN resident permit I would be weeks to months ahead time wise.

If it's legal according to state law I would be ahead time wise no matter what, and possibly I would also come out much better financially.

I dunno looks like a huge hassle to me to maybe save $125 or so.

Most folks are getting their TN permits in 45 days or less, with a judicious call at about the 30 day mark.

But biggest hmmm is the potential for legal trouble of possessing gun as long term TN resident with only a VA permit.

- OS

Guest Bill Cooksey
I dunno looks like a huge hassle to me to maybe save $125 or so.

Most folks are getting their TN permits in 45 days or less, with a judicious call at about the 30 day mark.

But biggest hmmm is the potential for legal trouble of possessing gun as long term TN resident with only a VA permit.

- OS

I thought it was still taking far longer to get, even with the call, most of the time. It's more about the time and the privacy associated than the money. In reality it would be less hassle (for me) than the traditional route if I've not missed something in my research.

I thought it was still taking far longer to get, even with the call, most of the time. It's more about the time and the privacy associated than the money. In reality it would be less hassle (for me) than the traditional route if I've not missed something in my research.

One possible little glitch is that the transfer procedure listed at TN dept of Safety for change from VA to TN permit does not mention VA non-resident permits one way or the other. They seem to assume you are a VA resident moving to TN to get the discounted TN permit. Obviously, if you are a VA resident, you wouldn't have been issued a VA non-resident permit in the first place. So it might not even "count".

Whether you choose to go through this Machiavellian process to attempt to save some money or not, there's still the possibility of legal probs associated with being a TN resident with no TN carry permit, should you be confronted by LEO, or worst case, having to USE that pistola in the meantime.

I don't see how privacy is an issue, as to be legal, you'd have to get TN permit anyway.

- OS

I too have heard of new permits being issued in just over 30 days.

If you are a TN resident....at best, you are simply delaying having to get a TN permit by 6 months.

39-17-1351®(3)(:screwy:

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.

Not sure what a VA permit cost, but then you'll have that cost plus either another $50 or $115 to TN when you get the TN permit.

Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

Virginia

Applicant must complete the application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay $50.00 fee and provide proof of fingerprinting in Virginia. If proof of fingerprinting cannot be provided, the applicant must pay the one-hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee and be fingerprinted.

So I see no way around getting a TN permit if you are TN resident...it's either now or later.

Guest Bill Cooksey
I too have heard of new permits being issued in just over 30 days.

If you are a TN resident....at best, you are simply delaying having to get a TN permit by 6 months.

Not sure what a VA permit cost, but then you'll have that cost plus either another $50 or $115 to TN when you get the TN permit.

Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

So I see no way around getting a TN permit if you are TN resident...it's either now or later.

I really thought the same thing Fallguy, but I found no information anywhere pertaining to TN residents in this scenario, and there are some pretty astute folks on this site so I thought I'd ask. If that's the case the only thing it would really save me is the time a class would require and possibly would get a permit in hand a little quicker.

Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate it, and if anyone has anything to add please do.

What training is it that you have that will make a VA permit easier?

TN recognizes some training in lieu of taking the state safety course.

39-17-1351(e)

The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(1)
Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2)
Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3)
Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to §
(
:screwy:
; or

(4)
Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

What training is it that you have that will make a VA permit easier?..

From Virginia non-resident permit qualifications:

Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

"Documentation of Competence with a Handgun

The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state.
  2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.
  3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state.
  4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement.
  5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
  6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in this Commonwealth or alocality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause.
  7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.
  8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.
  9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate"

- OS

Guest Bill Cooksey
What training is it that you have that will make a VA permit easier?

TN recognizes some training in lieu of taking the state safety course.

1, 2 and 7 in the list OhShoot posted would pertain, and possibly others if I looked real close.

I almost didn't post this out of respect for those on this forum involved in providing training classes here in TN, but frankly I couldn't find answers anywhere else. TN classes are definitely the way to go, but this avenue is certainly worthy of investigating in certain situations.

1, 2 and 7 in the list OhShoot posted would pertain, and possibly others if I looked real close.

I almost didn't post this out of respect for those on this forum involved in providing training classes here in TN, but frankly I couldn't find answers anywhere else. TN classes are definitely the way to go, but this avenue is certainly worthy of investigating in certain situations.

Again, though, there seems to me (at least) 2 possible glitches here:

- seems to me a reasonable chance that TN will not give a VA non-resident permit the same fees deal as a resident one

- likely illegality of carrying a gun in TN without TN permit, for one who has already established TN residency with no previous permit from any state.

- OS

Guest Bill Cooksey
Again, though, there seems to me (at least) 2 possible glitches here:

- seems to me a reasonable chance that TN will not give a VA non-resident permit the same fees deal as a resident one

- likely illegality of carrying a gun in TN without TN permit, for one who has already established TN residency with no previous permit from any state.

- OS

I'm hip, but in the absence of a law pertaining to it what do they have to stand on in denying the permit or denying the legality of carrying or of obtaining a TN permit in accordance with their written code? I'm no lawyer, and it's not worth hiring one to find out, but I'd hoped this had been hashed out by someone at some point before.

I'm hip, but in the absence of a law pertaining to it what do they have to stand on in denying the permit or denying the legality of carrying or of obtaining a TN permit in accordance with their written code? I'm no lawyer, and it's not worth hiring one to find out, but I'd hoped this had been hashed out by someone at some point before.

So, go for it.

You may be the first to ever try it.

- OS

Fallguy,

It took 38 days for me to get my HCP. And this was during the mad rush when a bunch of folks had applied. A buddy of mine just got his VA resident CCL. It took him about 30 days.