Doing my HCP class tonight :)

Guest Isaac

Guest Isaac

I'm excited, and a bit nervous. I know that very few people fail it, but the anxiety is still there hehe. Kinda like when I was 16 and going to get my driver's license, I suppose.

Class is 4pm - Midnight, so I'm leaving work at 3. I'm useless at work today anyway, keep watching the clock, heh.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to worry about. If you're breathing you'll pass.

I held my breath and still passed. You only need to worry if you have keep a sticky note on your gun that reads "this end toward enemy."

Otherwise, worry less than your driver's test. Heck, in my class we had a quiz before the test. It sounded suspiciously like the test.

Guest proudsuthrner

my test was barny style it seemed lol all common sence questions to me. and the range was a breeze too, but it was freezing that day:chill:

Guest logicprevails

I hope this thread doesn't end up in the local media to support their assertion that HCP holders are undertrained.

Guest proudsuthrner

wait.. now that i think about it.. my test was rediculously hard. i only say it is easy to make issac not be so nervous :screwy:

Guest Isaac

Well, just went and did the DMV part of it. 5 minutes to fill out the form, 5 minutes for them to enter it into the computer, about a minute to get my picutre taken, and 2.5 hours of sitting and waiting and listening to people around me jabber in various languages. Not my idea of fun, heh.

Guest HexHead
Well, just went and did the DMV part of it. 5 minutes to fill out the form, 5 minutes for them to enter it into the computer, about a minute to get my picutre taken, and 2.5 hours of sitting and waiting and listening to people around me jabber in various languages. Not my idea of fun, heh.

You must have gone to Centennial Blvd.? When my wife got hers, we took one look at the parking lot there and went up to Springfield. In/out done in under 20 minutes. Then we stopped at Guns & Leather and she got her fingerprints done. No big deal at all. :2cents:

Howdy, new here and I take the HCP class next week. How many rounds did you go through for the shooting portion of the class? I've looked at a couple of Walmarts the past few days and the pistol ammo shelf is absolutely bare. I do have some on hand (9mm), just hoping it'll be enough. I guess I could take the .357mag...that'd probably be a real head turner at a HCP range test.

Guest Isaac
Did you get your fingerprints done yet? When that is done then you start counting.

Not yet, Didn't have time Friday, so going to go today around lunch time and get it done, work permitting.

You must have gone to Centennial Blvd.? When my wife got hers, we took one look at the parking lot there and went up to Springfield. In/out done in under 20 minutes. Then we stopped at Guns & Leather and she got her fingerprints done. No big deal at all. :lol:

Yep, my office is like 3 minutes from the Centennial DMV. Took a long lunch to go do the paperwork part of it. A REALLLYYYYY long lunch, heh.

Howdy, new here and I take the HCP class next week. How many rounds did you go through for the shooting portion of the class? I've looked at a couple of Walmarts the past few days and the pistol ammo shelf is absolutely bare. I do have some on hand (9mm), just hoping it'll be enough. I guess I could take the .357mag...that'd probably be a real head turner at a HCP range test.

Went through a box of 50 on the range test. I would probably call and check with the instructor/range as to what you are expected to bring. Depending upon where you're doing it, they may have ammo available to buy on-site. The place I took mine at did.

I've had a little trouble finding 9mm ammo lately as well. Bought the last two boxes they had at the West Nashville Dick's weekend before last.

Guest Isaac

It wasn't Rick. There were two instructors, a white woman who appeared to be in her early to mid 30's, and an older black guy who was former FBI. Unfortunately I'm atrocious with names. I wrote them down in my notes, but those are somewhere in my Jeep at this point, which is my own little personal Bermuda Triangle :usa:

The guy handled most of the instruction, with her just interjecting occasionally. He was current on the laws, and stopped and pointed out when the cheezy state video was wrong. He also took issue with the "carrying a gun in TN is a privilege" line in the video, and pointed out that it was a 2A right, not a privilege.

I'm not sure what all was standard state curriculum, and what was him going beyond it, since it's the only time I've done the class. I got the feeling that a lot of it wasn't the bare minimum the state requires. He answered every question asked him very capably. He also had a pretty good sense of humour, which is always good.

He was very hands on with the less experienced shooters on the range. I had a feeling that a couple of them had only fired a handgun once or twice at the most, and he was able to teach them enough technique to pass.

I enjoyed the class. The only bad part, honestly, was the state video.

Edited by Isaac