Anyone know what kind of rifle this is?....

Guest HexHead

Guest HexHead

It belongs to a friend of mine. It was given to him and he doesn't know anything about it. It's probably post-WWII, and is semi-auto.

photo-5.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest joeharris

Czech Model VZ-1952, (SKS type variant) ammo is expensive and hard to find!

Uses 7.62X45, this gun goes in that shape for $200. tops, most of these had Century Bed-liner (Truck) spayed on wood, which was to cover cracks and defects and is virtually impossible to remove!

These guns were rebarreled to 7.62X39 in 1957. This new version is called the VZ 52/57 and is very Rare, parts for the old 52 Model are hard and exp. to find!

Anything else?

PS. The VZ-52 can take a Chamber adaptor ($45.) to shoot the 7.62X39, however this makes it somewhat unreliable!

Edited by joeharris

Left - 7.62x45 Right - 7.62x39

Be careful that you don't mix up the two because the shorter ".39" round will load in a ".45" VZ-1952.

fz0whz.jpg

Also, all the 7.62x45 ammo that I have seen does not show the caliber, only a date of production (1961 for this round).

29wqy3b.jpg

Guest gcrookston
I thought it looked familiar. Looks like the rifle used in Planet of the Apes. ;)

heston.jpg

In the future the monkey's converted 30 carbines for the movie...

on the other hand, the rifle that started this thread is a VS-1952 -- Joe nailed it. At it's very best it was a mediocre gun and all the rest of it's current problems Joe has laid out. There exists a small crop of collectors that would offer up to $350 for one. However, I don't know any.

Guest joeharris

Correct without the Century Bedliner, these do go for $350. in exc. shape, it's weakest point was the fold. bay. I have always and still want the 52/57 version which is even rarer than the 52!

A VZ 52/57 goes depending on cond. $500. - $1000. for near mint, would love to get one but never even seen 1 except in Pic.

Have seen about 30 VZ-52's in the last 10 yrs. But 0 VZ 52/57, however people swear it was more acc. in X45 than in X39!

The 52/57 in near mint is no. 1 on my wishlist! At a decent price!