Potential New Scooter Trash

Guest Linoge

Eh, by that rationale, no one would ever buy .50s - after all, you could get a lot of .308 for what they are asking for one of those. I will manage :tough:.

Nah, you're missing the point.

Let's see...

You've got a Kawasaki EX500 and a Aprilla MP3 500... for sake of your analogy, we'll say they're both ".50s".

Now, even though they're both .50s, for some reason the Aprilla performs like a .308, AND it costs over 33% more.

See where I'm going there? You'll get more for your $$, and it'll hold it's re-sale value better than the MP3.

When I say you can get MORE, I'm talking end results, not quantity.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say one thing about getting a bike over a scooter.....theres never been a confirmed case of a girl riding on the biatch seat of a scooter :tough:;)

I can also say the EX 500 is a great bike! Thats actually what I was on when I wrecked.

Man that thing would scoot! It would run with just about anything out there with few exceptions.

Man that thing would scoot! It would run with just about anything out there with few exceptions.

Heck yeah! The EX series is reliable as all get out too, not to mention easy to work on, easy to get cheap parts for (they've been making those things since what, 87?), and there are TONS of DIY resources for mods and maintenance on the web.

Probably one of the smartest buys out there. I was thinking about scooping one up and giving it the streetfighter treatment, but I scored a 1st gen SV for beans, so I went that direction.

Guest Linoge
Also, no modular (flip-up) helmet has more than a DOT rating, and I wear those a lot too. I've got a couple of X-lite (Nolan) helmets. All my helmets are made in Italy. :)

Something random-assed I stumbled across: Zeus ZS-3000 - webBikeworld .

Though, speaking of, how are the flip-front helmets? It seems as though they might be the best of both worlds, but also that there have to be some catches involved...

When I say you can get MORE, I'm talking end results, not quantity.

So was I, but we are talking past each other, so that is ok.

Anywise, we will see what tomorrow brings... and what the Better Half thinks of this entire thing. After all, she carpools with me...

About jeans in crashes: Many years ago I slid 20-some feet (braked on loose gravel) and ended up on the railroad tracks. The jeans didn't save my hide but the zippo lighter in my back pocket did.

I know I'm repeating what others have said, but it is important. GET PROPER GEAR. I ride in no less than a jacket, full face helmet, and gloves year round. It really does suck when you're stuck in traffic at 100 degrees and 80% humidity, but there's no substitute.

A friend of my daughter's asked me last year, "Aren't you hot wearing all that?" My reply, "Yea, but road rash is a whole lot hotter."

Guest Linoge
What part of TN are you in? I was a pro instructor with the Superbike School and I'd be glad to chat, in person or by phone.

Forgot to respond to this earlier, sorry for the delay. Thanks for the offer, though I am stuck out here in ETN for the time being... Might have to give you a ring at some point.

So I hit up Destination Motorcycles today in Lenoir City, and they were quite patient with my newbish questions and nonsense... Unfortunately, a license is required for test-driving, and doubly unfortunately, the MSF course now requires students to buy their own helments (rather than letting them borrow helmets). Bugger.

Was kind of funny, though... one of the guys there was not too keen on anything with more than two wheels, while another thought the MP3 was all manner of shiny. Different strokes, and all that.

So now things are pretty much on hold... I have been browsing WebBikeWorld, which seems to be a relatively good review site, and now I just have to clear all of this past the Better Half / back seat occupant. Thanks again for all the insights and observations from everyone!

Guest GT_Rat

Buy an inexpensive but comfortable helmet for the class. You never know you may decide you just don't like motorcyling so keep startup costs low. If all goes well after the class buy something nicer and keep the cheapie' for the occasional two up ride. I have to admit the MP3 is a neat little scoot. There is a guy that commutes with one from Franklin to Cool Springs that I see fairly regularly (even in weather that I don't ride in). I find them interesting because I think they appeal to the under-trained engineer in me.

Linoge, I'm out of area, but you can borrow my helmet (full face, large), jacket (Joe Rocket or leather, your call) and the crappy chaps I have. PM me for a phone # if it sounds like a plan. Do you need to borrow a bike? Suzi Volusia. Standard break it/fix it or you're going to hell type of deal.

Guest kerstuff
C'mon, surely there's someone in the Knox county area that has a helmet Linoge can borrow!

I'd let you borrow my Nolan but I wear a XXXL! It is a modular flip helmet. That's the only kind I wear. Not very many people have that big of a melon. I can't believe that I didn't say anything about gear in my post earlier. I'm one of the Gear Nazis that believes in ATGATT. I wear perforated leather Vanson pants most of the year. I wear Vanson perf jacket and Spidi mesh gear in the hot weather. Boots are important as well as the gloves. I wear Sidi or BMW boots and have several pairs of Spidi gloves for the summer and the winter.

Don't wear jeans. As a teenager I did that and have the scars on both knees from an "asphalt surfing" episode. Not funny, not pleasant. Listen to the info because it will save your life.

Since you're looking at the MP3 check out the hybrid version that supposed to come out this fall. If I remember right, only about $500 more than the top level but will average 141 mpg. May be pie in the sky but worth a look. If it is what is claimed, I'd like to add one to the stable if SWMBO would go along. :tinfoil:

Edited by kerstuff
Guest Linoge

Wow, thanks all! PMs inbound to the respective people...

And, since I was an idiot and did not try on helmets at the dealership, is there a good way for determining my size otherwise? I wear a very snug XL Stetson, and I believe my Navy cover size was something around 7 3/4s, if I remember properly. I have a fat head, but possibly not as fat as Kerstuffs... :tinfoil:

Heard about the hybrid one, though that definitely sounds more than a little pie-in-the-sky-ish, and potentially short on the get-up-and-go. Granted, we are talking about glorified scooters, but, from what I have read, the MP3s seem to have some oomph in the higher displacements.

Go back to the store and try them all on .. preferrably a store that has several brands.

I tried 5 different brands and finally settled on a Shoei cause of the shape of my head.

The helmet should fit tight, you will feel like you can bite the insides of your cheeks.

When you shake your head, the helmet should move with the head, no looseness allowed. Don't be influenced by graphics or color ... find a brand that fits and then go to the color and bling.

You don't want a pressure hot spot that will give you a headache.

I had an Arai salesmen pressure me into buying one of their helmets, I hated it.

I traded that helmet for a pair of Dainese leather pants and never looked back.

It is not the brand or the price you look for, it is the fit.

Now that I know what model and size fits me, I can order one over the internet with no fear.

Guest Linoge

I want to thank you all again for offering to let me borrow your helmets, but it turns out that my local MSF course does have helmets we newbies can borrow for the courses. W00t. Their brochures and webpages are not exactly clear, so be sure to contact the folks directly if you are interested yourselves.

Now I just need to know if next weekend is clear, so I can start setting up my class :). Either I will be back here gushing about how much fun two wheels are, or I will be typing with my nose from a full-body cast. I figure there is no inbetween...

Edited by Linoge