Potential New Scooter Trash

Guest Linoge

Guest Linoge

So I am vaguely considering procuring a means of transportation that has fewer than four wheels. Unfortunately, that is one particular topic that I know next to damn near nothing about...

So, for all those guys out there who do ride motorcycles, I have a few questions...

First, I have figured out that Tennessee has a Motorcycle Rider Education Program, and I am planning on taking it if I finally decide to head down this path. Is there anything else I should look into?

Second, gear... I have figured out that Snell and DOT ratings are good things and mandatory, respectively, but there does not seem to be a whole lot of information/comparison/ratings about jackets/pants/boots/gloves/etc. Suggestions (for any of the above)?

Third, any other relevant thoughts?

Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely take the Rider Education class. Depending on where you live, these classes fill up early so it may take a little while to get into a class. As for helmets and gear, expensive doesnt always equal safer. All DOT/Snell rated helmets meet the same safety requirements, more money does usually get you more comfort and toys. As for gear, buy what you can afford, all leather gloves protect more but cheaper leather/mesh gloves are better than no gloves. Where are you located? Motorcycle shops will hate me for saying this but I always try on gear locally to get the right size and then go shopping online. You can save alot of $$$ online. www.motorcyclecloseouts.com, www.newenough.com, www.motorcyclesuperstore.com, www.bikebandit.com, and www.kneedraggers.com are good places to look for cheap gear. Back to helmets, in my personal opinion Scorpion helmets are the best for the price, many features found in expensive helmets for half the price. Hope this helps.

Guest Traumaslave

I prefer HJC helmets because the offer more room in the mouth area. I do suggest a full face. They may not be as cool (temp or looking) but, I see alot of people get head and facial injuries who only wear buckets. (I'm an RN in a trauma center) That and I'm too pretty to damage this mug. :koolaid:Jeans are a minimum for pants. Chaps are nice but, they don't make too big a difference. Jackets can help for the slide but, no matter what they are made of or what kind of shields (elbow,back,shoulder) they have, they won't do a thing vs a tree. Leather gloves are nice because the first thing you do, as instinct if possible, is try to catch your self with your hands.

There are generally 2 kinds of riders out there, those that have been down and those who are going down. I suggest buying a cheap bike that is safe and ride it for a few years. Then go out and get what you want. Listen to people who ride alot, not those that say they have ridden for a long time. I have a friend who has riden for 5 yrs but, he only has about 4000 miles under his belt. I have been riding for 8 yrs and only have 30+k. There is a big difference.

The only other thing I might add is,,,, STAY OFF THE DRAGON!!!!!:screwy: I used to work in the ER that received about 80% of the wrecks from the dragon. 18% were so bad they had to be flown out and 2% were DRT (dead right there). 2 have died up there in the past 2 weeks. It doesn't have to be fault with all the idiots flying across there in either cages (cars) or on their crotch rockets.

Ride safe and keep the shiney side up!!!:blush:

As far as gloves go I can't say how impressed I was with the Ironclad gloves I was wearing when I went down. The are made for construction and are padded on the palms and very breathable. They indeed took most of my slide and look basically like they did before the wreck. You can get them at any hardware store. The parts that got the most damage were my legs and I had on dress pants that dissolved in the pavement.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1275615&kw=gloves&lmdn=Brand&searchId=39546166893

pACE-956353reg.jpg

Riding a bike is totally different than driving a car.

Habits you picked up driving a car for years will get you killed on a bike.

The number one most important thing about bike riding is wet ware, what is in your head and how you handle your emotions.

MSF is a very good basic foundation to build on, not the endall to be all, it just gets you started. Many stop right there and it really shows in their attitude and skill sets.

There are many types of training after the MSF courses, I took the Lee Parks Total Control class and was stunned at how much my riding improved after taking the class. Then there are track schools.

As for gear, you can get good gear inexpensively by looking at the list mentioned above, they are the most reputable and have great prices on discontinued items. Don't get the idea that one piece of gear will do all, buying gear is a process and will never stop. I now have more gear than the price of my bike. I can now ride in all kinds of weather and do so quite frequently.

Anyone who says that they are riding motorcycles to "save" money are lying to you or are in complete denial. If you do most of the maintainence yourself and are mechanically inclined, you can save some money. Examples are special tools you have to purchase, a car cost under $5/tire to swap on rims, motorcycles will cost you $30/tire if you bring the wheels there and up to $100/tire if they do it. There are several "surprises" like that out there you will encounter.

Finally, the best advice I was given when I started riding again was; "Everytime you get on a bike, tell yourself that you are invisible and everyone is out there to hit you."

Never expect people to see you, it will not happen. It will get you angry, and any emotion on a bike amplifies consequences. I don't care if it is anger or rocking along with a good song with earbuds on.

Having said all that ... it is the most rewarding hobby/passion I have ever done in my life and would not trade it for anything ... even firearms!

Guest Arko

I was going to chime in, but it sounds like you already got a ton of good advice!

I will echo this though: "Riding a bike is totally different than driving a car.

Habits you picked up driving a car for years will get you killed on a bike."

That couldn't be more true, and if you keep that in mind and always remember the cars win in a confrontation you'll be good. Riding a bike will actually improve your car driving too. You'll be more alert.

I would also definitely get a reliable used bike. It's tempting to go out and by the shiniest highest displacement bike of the moment if you have the means, but most end up regretting it. Even if you don't fall down ON it because it's too much to handle you will still make mistakes, and get it dinged up. I've seen plenty of newbies drop a kickstand to park on unstable ground (or forget it entirely!) and flop the bike over.

As for size, consider setting the ego aside and go small. For a cruiser or standard I'd say stay away from anything over 750 cc at first. Any bigger and you'll hate the weight at low speed, and the power can get you in trouble.

With street bikes consider the SUB 600's. Really. Most of the inline fours are SO torquey you'll want to practice on the smaller of the beasts. Besides, they're plenty fast. When I see young guys, obvious new riders on the 1000cc Monster's I cringe, because I just know they'll get in over their heads sooner or later.

Guest kerstuff

A little advice from a bluehair rider!! :screwy: I've ridden over 100,000+ miles but you are always learning and striving to improve your skills. Listen to older riders. They are older for various reasons. Most definitely take the MSF course in your area. They usually have a discount for LEO's if you are so employed. Insurance companies give a MSF discount on insurance. Have insurance no matter what. It's not that expensive. DO NOT RIDE WITH A GROUP BUT WITH AN EXPERIENCED RIDER! Most experienced riders are more than happy "to take you under their wing" to help. DON'T LET YOUR EGO CAUSE YOU TO MAKE STUPID DECISIONS RIDING! You have nothing to prove. Buy an older, smaller cc bike, practice MSF skills learned. Don't let anyone intimidate you while riding or practicing. IT IS YOUR LIFE, PROTECT IT! Never, never drink while riding. If you ride to a destination (end of the day) and you drink, by all means have one. But don't get back on the bike.

Edited by kerstuff
Guest clownsdd

Didn't read all the content of the other replies, but be aware a motorcycle license designation is required on your drivers license.

Guest HexHead
Jeans are a minimum for pants. Chaps are nice but, they don't make too big a difference. Jackets can help for the slide but, no matter what they are made of or what kind of shields (elbow,back,shoulder) they have, they won't do a thing vs a tree. Leather gloves are nice because the first thing you do, as instinct if possible, is try to catch your self with your hands.

Jeans are worthless if you go down. Okay, they're better than riding in shorts, but they will shred through within a couple of feet in a slide.

There are jeans out there like Draggin' Jeans that are partially lined with Kevlar in the knees and butt. I'd look for some that also has kevlar along the side of the thighs.

There's a saying they use at the MSF classes, "dress for the crash, not the ride."

One more thing, about riding with a group. Ride your own ride and don't be pushed to keep up. They'll wait for you at the turns and stuff. Lots of crashes are people riding over their skill level on unfamiliar roads.

Edited by HexHead
Guest GT_Rat

Buy gear based on what the body part it is meant to protect is worth to you. If you have $5 hands buy $5 gloves. My hands are apparently worth $85. My head, almost $600. Wear the gear all the time on every ride. Sweat washes off in the shower. Road rash doesn't.

Ditto on the comments to not buy the biggest baddest bike out there as your first, take the MSF course, don't ride over your head, etc...

I have 13,000 miles in the last two years on my 07 R1.

I can't really add much to what has been said here, but I'll suggest a few bikes to look at:

Suzuki DRZ400SM

Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Kawasaki Ninja EX500

Suzuki GS500

Yamaha WR250x

Yamaha V-Star 650

Honda VT600

I'd recommend buying a used entry-level bike. Since new riders are always popping up, they typically hold their value extremely well, so when you're ready to upgrade you'll likely be able to get near what you paid for it.

Yup,get the best gear you can afford.

I actually survived a pretty bad crash due to a very expensive helmet.

You might get some ridicule in a full face helmet from the cool kids that forked out 40 bucks for a pretty piece of plastic,but once they go down,you can laugh at their brain damage,and inability to feed themselves!

You might get some ridicule in a full face helmet from the cool kids that forked out 40 bucks for a pretty piece of plastic,but once they go down,you can laugh at their brain damage,and inability to feed themselves!

Couldn't agree more.

I won't be caught with anything less than a Snell rating. :up:

The only other thing I might add is,,,, STAY OFF THE DRAGON!!!!!:)

Ride safe and keep the shiney side up!!!:bat:

The Dragon and Cherohola are great rides as long as you ride within you limits. :up: I ride both of them every time I visit Tenn. on the bike.

Guest Linoge

Thanks, all, for the insights and suggestions... The thing that preciptated all of this consideration on my part is actually one of these:

Piaggio_MP3_500_0.jpg

A Piaggio MP3 500. Yeah, I know, more than a little bit random, but I saw one up on the Dragon this past weekend, and as an engineer, my interest was piqued. Ever since I got out of college, I have been wanting something with fewer than four wheels, and this seemed like something fun to ride.

Thanks again, everyone, and keep the thoughts coming :D.

Guest Arko
I dub it the Combat Camel, due to the way the front of it looks.

OMG! It does look like a camel!

I've read some interesting reviews on them. Mostly good.

Looks like fun!

Guest Arko
So,do you lean that thing,or turn the handlebars?

From what I've read, a little of both. Cycle riders have a bit of a time adjusting to it, but newbies do very well getting the hang of it.

Guest HexHead
Couldn't agree more.

I won't be caught with anything less than a Snell rating. :D

I got rid of my Snell helmets and replaced them with BSI rated. Snells can be too unforgiving and cause more injuries in some cases. BSI is also more stringent quality control wise.

Suomy fits me better than Arai too. :P

Also, no modular (flip-up) helmet has more than a DOT rating, and I wear those a lot too. I've got a couple of X-lite (Nolan) helmets. All my helmets are made in Italy. ;)

Piaggio_MP3_500_0.jpg

You know, they make similar vehicles for boys... they're called motorcycles! :D

But really though, have you seen the MSRP on the MP3s? The 250cc is $7,200, the 400cc is $8700, and the 500cc is $8900!

You can buy A LOT of bike for what they're asking for one of those scoots.

Guest Linoge
I dub it the Combat Camel, due to the way the front of it looks.

Y'know, if I do end up getting one of those things, I am going to have to have someone paint that on it somewhere at some point...

Oh I so want one of those!

Assuming the stars are in alignment, I will be looking at one tomorrow... I will see what I can do about talking the sales rep into letting the never-touched-a-motorcycle-or-scooter-before n00b scoot around the parking lot... Yeah. Right. Erp.

But really though, have you seen the MSRP on the MP3s? The 250cc is $7,200, the 400cc is $8700, and the 500cc is $8900!

You can buy A LOT of bike for what they're asking for one of those scoots.

Eh, by that rationale, no one would ever buy .50s - after all, you could get a lot of .308 for what they are asking for one of those. I will manage :usa:.