Sig P238 VS. Ruger, Colt, Sig, and Walther

Guest JLowe

Guest JLowe

Having shot several 380s at a recent range session I can give a decent review. The guns we shot were a Sig P238 (my brothers), a Sig P230, a Walther PPK/s, a Colt Mustang, and a Ruger LCP (also my brothers). I personally am not a fan of the 380 or anything below 38+P for that matter as I don't believe in their stopping power on a determined aggressor, but they do make great little pocket pistols as backups. The Sig P238 was extremely impressive to me, fit an finish of the gun was beautiful and clean; and as always up to Sig's high standards. The accuracy of the little gun was slightly better than the fixed barrel Sig and Walther, which was surprising, as the fixed barrel designs are almost always more accurate than other designs. The P238 surpassed the Colt and Ruger which was not surprising at all and expected. The P238 grouped at about 1.5 inches at 10 yards off hand, which was in part due to the great trigger on the gun. The felt recoil of the P238 was obviously much less than the Ruger LCP and also better than the P230 and Walther. Felt recoil with the Colt and P238 were about the same, but I give the edge to the Colt as its a little heavier. There were no feeding issues with the P238 and it ate anything thrown in it with ease. Amazingly enough there were none with the other guns either, but all of them except the Ruger had been "worked" on to resolve their problems, the Colt especially. I am familiar with the Colt as I've known the guy who owns it and what he's had done to the gun to get it "righteous" as he calls it. For the amount he's spent on the gun, initial purchase and gunsmithing, he could have just bought 2 good 38+P revolver and kept the other 400+ in his pocket, but to each their own. It must truly get expensive to be a die hard Colt guy! Price wise the Sig was more than the Ruger and about the same as the Walther and P230 and way less than the Colt (even before all the work was done to it). In closing I can say that the Sig P238 was very impressive, it felt good in my large hands and shot extremely well and if your a fan of the 380 pocket rockets, this gun is the head of the class.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. Have a PPK/s and a Colt Govt MDL 380. I have had no problems with mine over 20+years. I believe the cost of the 238 would keep me away. I own quite a few SIG's. I just can't justify the cost for a .380.

Guest JLowe
Thanks for the review! Just curious: how many rounds of .380 did you shoot altogether? It's hard to find these days, and expensive.

We fired around 450 of just 380. My brother has had 380s for many years and is not one to be found wanting for ammo. Also the other 2 guys we shot with are ammo whores as well, so there was plenty of 380 around. Amazingly enough, we didn't shoot all we had on hand and nowhere near what they have at home. Like I said before, I'm not a fan of the 380 and would much rather have a 38 spl, but I am now a fan of the little Sig.

Wanted to add also that we would have included pictures and such, but we went to the range to shoot guns not cameras :).

Guest tgf600

I recently picked up a Sig 238. I must say, it's very impressive. I love the little gun. Recoil is minimal.

Anyone looking for a 380 must take a look at the Sig 238.

My Sig 230SL has a lot more recoil.

Guest grimel

While not especially a fan of the 380's, the Sig is what Colt intended the Mustang to be. I imagine loaded with FMJ it will get the slugs to the vitals.

Guest JLowe
While not especially a fan of the 380's, the Sig is what Colt intended the Mustang to be. I imagine loaded with FMJ it will get the slugs to the vitals.

Or some of those Buffalo Bore Hardcasts. Thats why I'm not a real fan or the 380 or 32 acps, they don't have enough penetration with hollow points to get to the good stuff in the body, especially during the winter with heavy clothing. Yes, the Sig is what the Mustang should have been.