Comparison of Mosin-Nagant, AK and AR

Guest BillOfRightsFan

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nagant is a beast, with no other rifle have I taken 20 rounds to the range and have come back with some rounds remaining. Once i shot 25 rounds and my shoulder was hurting for 2 days.

Guest 1shot

I really can't understand why people think the 7.62X54R in a Mosin Nagant is a hard kicking rifle. Compared to the AR and AK BB-guns they do have more recoil but they are far from hard kicking. Now a 12 ga. 3 1/2" mag shooting 2 oz turkey loads or buck shot is a kicker.

I love the muzzle blast of the M-44 or 38 M/N. The first time I used my M-44 in a military carbine bench rest match after I fired the first two shots the fellows on both benches beside me got up and moved until I finished shooting.

Guest SUNTZU
I really can't understand why people think the 7.62X54R in a Mosin Nagant is a hard kicking rifle. Compared to the AR and AK BB-guns they do have more recoil but they are far from hard kicking. Now a 12 ga. 3 1/2" mag shooting 2 oz turkey loads or buck shot is a kicker.

I love the muzzle blast of the M-44 or 38 M/N. The first time I used my M-44 in a military carbine bench rest match after I fired the first two shots the fellows on both benches beside me got up and moved until I finished shooting.

Better than a chiropractor. :screwy:

Guest bkelm18

Well.... people feel recoil differently, what may seem like butter to some may seem like a mule kick to others. Nothing really to not understand about it. :(

just to make Motasyco happy, here it is.

Having discussed the recoil of a Mosin nagant 91/30 and M44 at length with knowledgable folk such as Garufa, I have come to the conclussion that the size of the buttstock is the difference.

The Mosin is short and narrow where the Mauser or Springfield bolt rifles have butts that are wider and taller. Even just a small amount can make a large perceived difference.

I suspect that any military surplus bolt rifle in the 30 cal range will all kick similarly, but how is is relayed into the shoulder is the difference.

Shooting any of these rifles off of a rest is liable to make me cry.

The SKS and AK is not anymore comparable to a Mosin, than a Mosin is to a Magnum shotgun round.

Guest c.a.s.

I'm 17, short, and rather light.

I LOVE shooting Mosins. I can do it all day. At least until the bolt gets to hard to move without a 2x4.

a 20 gauge can give me bruises.

Most people don't know how to hold a rifle that kicks.

That puts things very simply and truthfully.

The last few times I have shot the Mosin I have put over 100 rounds downrange each time. My shoulder felt fine. it is all about how you put the thing on.

The 91/30 does not have the thump of a carbine version. The short ones are way the heck louder too.

Guest beefcakeb0

oooooooo ya, i love em.......... i have been wonderin for a week or so why my right shoulder has been aching... i figured it out, im hurtin to go shoot these bad @$$'s. my shoulders begging for it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tantrum

I have fired my best friend's Mosin several times and I don't see the big deal about the recoil. Sure it has quite a kick, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than some 10 and 12 gauge shotguns (depending on the loads) or high caliber hunting rifles I have fired. Can't say that I would want to consecutively fire a hundred rounds through it, but it's really not as brutal as some people describe.

Guest crotalus01

I wonder if a lot of people chickenwing it when firing a Nagant, I could see where that might increase perceived recoil...