Recommendations for first carry?

Guest Speak-softly

Guest Speak-softly

Any words of wisdom from the masses on things to consider when assembling my first carry rig? IWB, OWB, strongs side, cross draw etc? I'm a pretty big guy so my heft and big shirts could probably conceal just about anything but this being my first time, I'd like to start off the right way. My weapon will be a 45 XD compact with the 10 round, not the 13 with the sleeve. I've heard the best way to go is IWB with a good stiff horse hide holster but I've heard there are plenty of guys out there concealing just fine with OWB. My main concern is that I'd buy a $100 (or more) holster for my first carry and hate it. . . what do I do?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Speak. I also have an XD, but the .40 service with the 4" barrel. I use a leather belt holster like the one pictured below. It was around $20 at Guns and Leather and does a good job of concealing when wearing a baggy shirt. And for $20, if I didn't like it, no biggie. I also have a paddle holster and the XD gear holster, but I think I like the leather one the best, especially when driving.

1748_1_632_1.JPG

Guest Speak-softly

Does the lack of a second belt loop or strap allow the holster/gun to slide or pivot into the wrong areas? Also, the doesn't look like it can go inside the pants, does it go between the pants and the belt?

I've never heard of somebody who settled with their first holster... Everybody is different it will likely take some time find the perfect holster (I'm still looking)....

Maybe some information on your style of dress and the level of concealment you're hoping for? Do you wear your shirts untucked? Are you looking for total concealment or just so the average Joe doesn't notice 99 times out of a 100?

Guest Muttling

Are most of your pants your normal waste size or do you have some extra room in the waste band? With all except the slimmest of weapons, you need a wasteband that is at least 1 inch too large to comfortably carry IWB.

Don't get me wrong, my primary method of carry is IWB as it has the least risk of flashing your weapon. It does, however, have comfort issues especially for a weapon as large as yours.

For OWB carry, I use DeSantis Speed Scabards (photo below) and like them a LOT. I run it on an angle ride just behind my hip. I can pull my weapon or my wallet with my jacket on and you'll never know I'm armed unless it comes out.

002.jpg

Guest Speak-softly

Pants are a normal waste size, I don't buy them to big nor do I like them snug. As far as level of concealment, I know I'm gonna get made by guys taht carry every day. LEOs will probably notice me, but I just want the average Joe to not know or notice. That holster pictured above looks like it'd be comfortable and rides pretty close to the body, does that conceal well with the proper clothing?

I usualy wear faily baggy shirts untucked.

Guest Muttling

There's two concealment issues I could see you having with this holster, but you'll have the same issues with any OWB holster.

This one pancakes everything except the handle quite well. If you're just wearing a shirt over it, you'll probably get some printing of the handle.

You can wear it at an angle as shown or in a high ride position so it doesn't come down as far. If you're concealing under shirts, you might have an issue with the end of a holster extended below the shirt.

Guest grimel
Does the lack of a second belt loop or strap allow the holster/gun to slide or pivot into the wrong areas? Also, the doesn't look like it can go inside the pants, does it go between the pants and the belt?

If you look at the backside picture, there is a tunnel just to the left of the slot. That holster won't move.

That said, my only advice to you will be a) buy a big box say 2ftx3ftx1ft - this will hold the holsters you don't like enough to use and don't hate enough to sell at a big loss; put these with guns you trade/sell as a deal enhancer and :hat: don't buy the expensive holsters for experiments. A $40 Don Hume IWB will give you just as much input on the comfort of a IWB double loop summer special as the $110 Kramer. Once you find your comfortable working holster(s) buy one from a top shelf maker and your worries are over until you change guns and c) BUY A REAL GUN BELT.

My experience is forget OWB and stay with IWB; I can hide a bigger gun with less effort and more comfort - OWB == torture for me.

Don't let anyone convince you your compact XD45 is a big gun. It is the same size as a Glock 19/23 and considerably smaller than say a Para P14.45

Edited by grimel
Guest justme
Any words of wisdom from the masses on things to consider when assembling my first carry rig? IWB, OWB, strongs side, cross draw etc? I'm a pretty big guy so my heft and big shirts could probably conceal just about anything but this being my first time, I'd like to start off the right way. My weapon will be a 45 XD compact with the 10 round, not the 13 with the sleeve. I've heard the best way to go is IWB with a good stiff horse hide holster but I've heard there are plenty of guys out there concealing just fine with OWB. My main concern is that I'd buy a $100 (or more) holster for my first carry and hate it. . . what do I do?

My two cents, and plenty will disagree with this but...buy a good retention holster to fit the XD .45 you will carry, OWB and let weather dictate how you carry. Remember, your permit is a Handgun carry permit, not a concealed carry permit--Tennessee is an open carry state, as there is no state law forbidding it. If I carry and it is cold--I'll wear a jacket to cover it up, but in 90 degree weather--no way am I going to try and cover up with a shirt and make it that much harder to get to in the event I might unfortunately need to access to it in a hurry.

plenty will disagree, and this isn't a discussion about whether OC is better than CC--but is my opinion only.

Guest tlondon

most of the time I carry OWB in a Don Hume JIT belt slide holster. Its not that expensive and it hugs to your body pretty good. I have one for a Taurus 85 and for a Bersa Thunder 380. Both I cover with my shirt. I also have a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB for times I want to carry inside the waist band

Guest abailey362

lots of people will swear by comptac and crossbreed for IWB. I had a crossbreed for my Sig, and it was well made. it didn't fit my body well though and I ended up selling it. My hips are too pointy and anything IWB or even OWB at 3 o'clock is uncomfortable for me.

ou're a bit more rounded and one of these would probably be a good option for you. But this is coming from a guy who has spent hundreds to find the right holster, and I carry in a $10 universal sleeve :D

... My hips are too pointy and anything IWB or even OWB at 3 o'clock is uncomfortable for me. ..

I don't see how ANYbody can comfortably carry IWB right at 3:00. Most carry on around behind the point of the hip. Or in front of it, if appendix type carry.

- OS

Guest grimel
I don't see how ANYbody can comfortably carry IWB right at 3:00. Most carry on around behind the point of the hip. Or in front of it, if appendix type carry.

- OS

They are carrying a Beretta Tomcat.

Guest abailey362

- OS

I meant more near 3 o clock. I carry at about 4.30 or 5, which is a bit far back for most, and what made the crossbreed not comfortable for me, not to mention having to twist my arm to get to the gun to draw.

Everyone ask this question and the answers are always the same. Generally it is a personal preference to what will work for you. Things others love don't work for me and vice versa, but there are some common guidelines you can use.

1. OWB is generally more comfortable and less dependent on pant size, placement, and holster type than IWB.

2. IWB conceals better, but you have to adjust your pant sizes to accommodate the holster.

3. IWB is more holster specific. In other words finding just the right one may take a few extra try's.

4. A good belt makes a world of difference.

Do a lot of reading. You will find that most guys report when they like a holster and giver pretty good reasons why.

Guest 1shot

I have carried for over 9 years and have tried about all styles. I have found that for me the most comfortable way that conceals even a full size Glock-17 that I now carry most every day is a Fobus paddle holster strong side at about 3:30. Get the paddle not the Roto paddle, it sticks out too much. The regular Fobus paddle pulls the grip close to my body and I know that no matter what, the pistol is going to stay in the holster and not fall out. I just wear an untucked loose golf type or other shirt in the summer and it covers up perfectly. Don't worry about any slite "printing" under your shirt. About everybody carries a cell phone or some device on their belt these days. By chance if someone where to ask you what you have under your shirt tell them it is a medical device and you don't want to expost it. Like I have said I have carried for over 9 years and have never ever had anyone mention anything about it. People are so self centered they really don't care what you look like, their into their self. I to use to be parinoid about carrying when I first started about "being discovered" but not any more. Yes, get you a real gun belt made of good sadle leather.

Guest HexHead

And again, whether you choose an IWB, OWB or even a pocket holster....

GET A REAL GUN BELT!!!

They make a huge difference in comfort. Doesn't even have to be all that expensive. I use a Galco Cop Belt I paid $50-60 for and it works great and looks just like any other regular belt.

And again, whether you choose an IWB, OWB or even a pocket holster....

GET A REAL GUN BELT!!!

They make a huge difference in comfort. Doesn't even have to be all that expensive. I use a Galco Cop Belt I paid $50-60 for and it works great and looks just like any other regular belt.

Just a question...what's the difference between a normal belt and a gunbelt?

Matthew

Guest grimel
Just a question...what's the difference between a normal belt and a gunbelt?

Matthew

Stiffness, a normal belt will collapse/sag/stretch with a real gun attached. A gun belt will handle a steel framed full size 1911 and a steel framed Commander size 1911 (as BUG) with a few other items and you won't be cinching the belt so tight your eyes bug out.

Guest Speak-softly

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. Sounds like the box o' holsters is an unavoidable expense. Maybe I'll just go to the gun shop with a dart, close my eyes, throw it and buy whatever it lands on. (unless it's a hi-point!) Seems like I've got the same chance either way anyway.

Thanks all!

Guest grimel
I really appreciate everyone's input on this. Sounds like the box o' holsters is an unavoidable expense. Maybe I'll just go to the gun shop with a dart, close my eyes, throw it and buy whatever it lands on. (unless it's a hi-point!) Seems like I've got the same chance either way anyway.

Thanks all!

The box may be unavoidable, but, don't just toss darts! There really is a generic way to get a decent holster - buy known brands. I'm a lefty so I just about buy any LH holster I see for any gun I have any interest in owning. My box is HUGE and growing. At one point I had SIX RH holsters for a 1911.

Guest Muttling

hehe......The question is how big a box do you need.

There's a number of GOOD holsters on the market to try. There's a lot MORE crappy ones out there. Take your best guess from what we have given you and go. I'm thinking you can hit the mark (or get pretty danged close) in 1 to 2 shots.

The "mark" being the one that is right for YOU.

I wish you well my friend.