safety bullet

brooksjr

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should unload all of your guns and lock them up until you feel safe. Seriously.

i feel perfectly safe. i wouldn't buy these, mainly because i'm cheap, but put them out there to see what everyone else thought about them. i keep one gun loaded that is locked in a gun cabinet(not safe) within 2 feet of my bed. that keeps the kids out and keeps my wife feeling safe. i live in a small town far away from big city crime, and while i know it can happen anywhere, the chances for a home break in here are really small.

the only child that i have that i feel is old enough to talk to about guns has been taught.

Guest abailey362

just wow......not for me. my 3 yr old knows not to touch daddy's guns, and the only time he can is when someone hands one to him. it still stays on me or on top of a tall cabinet that he can't reach, but i personally wouldn't want to have to cycle the action as part of my reaction to a threat. too much time spent teaching my body to draw, aim, and fire. If you use these, all firing exercises should start with expelling the "bullet" to build muscle memory

Guest 3pugguy
how many teenagers have been taught to drive safely? how many die every year in car accidents?

all this talk about teaching kids about firearm safety is great but no matter how much they are taught some are going to get curious. i feel it is my responsibilty to have my guns put away or be safe just in case my children or someone elses decide they want to play with em.

I would have to disagree to a point. Growing up in TN, we always had guns in the house and my Dad, from the time I can remember, was all about safety, safety, safety and even if you had just unloaded a gun, always handle it as though loaded.

He also wouldn't let us have BB guns, because he figured you could hurt someone, thinking that BB was "just a toy".

When I was about 12, my brother (a few years older) did something to get me really PO'd; I said something like I'm gonna shoot your ass. My Dad heard and I couldn't sit good for a while. Yeah, 40 years later I remember: safety and always think it's loaded and don't make stupid threats.

Sorry for the ramble...but I think as your kids grow, you will be surprised how well they will listen (but yes, still think gun safes, etc, are prudent - cause your kids might be great, but kids have kid friends).

Guest Synghyn

I can appreciate the idea behind this. I can, no really.... My wife can, is that close enough?

I keep my guns safe period, locked up but for the ones I need to have access to in a hurry if the SHTF. Hopefully, never in other words.

My wife see's the usefulness in these but then she is also the one who would pull up the gun, forget the disabling snap cap and be in trouble.

I can see it for folks with kids, kids do stupid stuff sometimes, no matter how well you train them. They are kids after all, I was one once and while I never put anyone else in danger I damn near killed myself several times(no not with guns). But that is about the only rationale I can see for them honestly. And no we don't have any kids, thank goodness cause I know one of them would have launched a dirtbike off lookout mountain by now.

Syn

Guest Alpha Dog

Went to the web site, read the web site, won't be buying one...ever.

They talk about different levels of protection. Worried that a bad guy might think to rack the slide? Then put 1 in the barrel and 1 at the top of the mag. (Oops, got to rack twice.)

Seems not very smart in a home invasion/break in sort of situation...

Late, dark, asleep...noise...grab gun...oops, bad guy in room...wait...I must rack gun before defending myself, please be kind enough to pause while I prepare.

One poster called it a "gun lock". I disagree. IMO a gun lock is something that renders a gun "locked" and therefore useless until one person, with the key or combination, unlocks the gun.

Just my opinion...that and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Guest Britestar

dummy loads will do the same thing except the lock up. I think keep the guns put in a responsible place with chamber empty. Or I use a gunsafe vault on top of my night stand with a touch code open with in a couple of seconds and hands on loaded gun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Micromancer

Look for us in 14 Gun Magazines in the next two months

MAYBE YOUR TERRIBLE SALES MEAN SOMETHING.

If you can't get more than 7 people a month (if everyone only owns one gun!) to buy your terrible product, it might mean this was probably a bad idea.

When I had small children or even now, if I feel the need, I use a large key ring and a lightweight zip tie. I put the zip tie around the hammer of my auto and run it thru the key ring, around the trigger guard and pull it tight. It is strong enough a child cannot pull the trigger, cock the weapon or break if you pick it up by the zip tie. But I can break the zip tie quickly by grabbing the gun and pulling the key ring hard, like a grenade pin. It is the simplest, easiest, cheapest way I have found to keep a loaded and ready firearm in my home safely.

Guest c.a.s.

There is no such thing as too young to talk to them about guns. AS A TEEN, I thank my grandfather for talking to me about firearms and teaching me about them from when I could understand him. He kept a loaded revolver at his table ALL the time. It wasn't particularly hidden. It wasn't locked, and it had no safety. It has yet to be fired without explicit permission, and in the first case, his supervision.

This has been so for two full generations of children, HIS children, and his grandchildren. He took any and every opportunity to teach us about firearms and firearm safety.

My (at the time) 3-year-old cousin already knew not to touch it without Papaws permission. She knew that firearms were not toys.

Statistics show that education reduces accidents more than anything.

Exoerience, on both sides of the aisle (well, HELPING on the parent side of the aisle) shows that removing the "mysterious" quality of the firearms and educating your children, no matter how young as long as they can understand, reduces accidents.

I'm not the only one to think so.

Cornered Cat - Table of Contents