safety bullet

brooksjr

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest foister82

seems interesting. However in the heat of the moment that an intruder comes in will you have time to rack your gun? will you remember to? will it be any faster than removing a safety?

seems interesting. However in the heat of the moment that an intruder comes in will you have time to rack your gun? will you remember to? will it be any faster than removing a safety?

i have to keep my guns locked up now so this would be MUCH faster than finding the key, unlocking the gun cabinet and so on. as far as your statement about removing the safety, i would never leave a loaded firearm within reach of my children with or without a safety. i have a 7 year old, 3 year old, and a 2 year old. while the 7 year old is old enough to talk to about guns and the danger involved the other two aren't.

My first thought is NOOOOO. Initially sounded good, but if you accidentally pull the trigger or some one else did and you didn't know about it there is no way you are going to be able to use that gun for protection.

Guest foister82
as far as your statement about removing the safety, i would never leave a loaded firearm within reach of my children with or without a safety. i have a 7 year old, 3 year old, and a 2 year old. while the 7 year old is old enough to talk to about guns and the danger involved the other two aren't.

of course :D and that statement wasnt really directed at you per say, more like me thinking out loud. I dont have the kids just yet (first one on the way, due oct 21st) and while i dont consider myself an idiot, in a moment's notice i may forget that i have that safety bullet in the chamber.

Guest foister82

i guess the reasoning behind it is that if the trigger is pulled then the gun is useless til fixed, as with leaving the chamber empty all you would need to do is rack it? I wouldn't put it past any child to figure out how to rack the slide... just a matter of if they're strong enough i guess.

i guess the reasoning behind it is that if the trigger is pulled then the gun is useless til fixed, as with leaving the chamber empty all you would need to do is rack it? I wouldn't put it past any child to figure out how to rack the slide... just a matter of if they're strong enough i guess.

I thought you got the "safety bullet" out by racking the slide anyway?

If not, how DO you get it out? Disassemble the weapon?

- OS

No way. It could get YOU killed. Keep a live round in the tube and CARRY THE GUN. That way the kids won't get it. Lock the other guns up if you have to.

while this sounds good i'm not walking around the house with a gun holstered on my side 24/7:)

Let’s go ahead and skip to the part where your kid picks up a gun and pulls the trigger. What do you do then?

Whatever your answer is you might want to do that first and skip this silliness.

either i'm not understanding you or this makes no sense whatsoever.:D

Guest bkelm18
either i'm not understanding you or this makes no sense whatsoever.:D

Anyway, there are a number of things that can go wrong with this. The big one being is what if you grab your gun and in the heat of the moment you forget you have a safety bullet in and pull the trigger? Or someone else pulls the trigger just messing around (say a kid gets a hold of it, which is a possibility otherwise you wouldn't be considering this) and you don't know? Not only does nothing happen when you try to shoot the bad guy, your gun is disabled and you and your family are dead. Keeping an empty chamber isn't a great alternative, but it's miles better than this gimmick.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest Mugster

$25 bucks for a snap cap? WTF?

Is there some dude out there advocating this stuff? Somebody asked about them for shotguns over in the long-guns section.

Thats what I need to do, invent 14 completely useless gun related "safety devices" and then hire that Vince guy to sell the stuff on paid late night TV.

Guest m&pc9
I’m saying what action will you take once you have found that your kid has picked up a firearm and pulled the trigger?

Beat the kid! And teach it firearm safety.

To completely understand the product, download and watch the demo video.

http://www.safetybullet.com/images/116.AVI

I downloaded.

I watched.

I chortled.

Good way to get yourself killed.

Bad guy would get a kick out of your poking rod into gun so you could shoot him.

I suppose you could train yourself to use it, enough so that it would be automatic. At 3am. In a groggy panic. Possibly. Maybe. Nah.

- OS

Beat the kid! And teach it firearm safety.

how many teenagers have been taught to drive safely? how many die every year in car accidents?

all this talk about teaching kids about firearm safety is great but no matter how much they are taught some are going to get curious. i feel it is my responsibilty to have my guns put away or be safe just in case my children or someone elses decide they want to play with em.

I’m saying what action will you take once you have found that your kid has picked up a firearm and pulled the trigger?

well if the gun were loaded i guess i would be going to their funeral

at this point every gun i own stays locked up and none of my children have touched them without me allowing it

Guest 70below

I always press check any gun I pick up that I handle, leave in a loaded state, take from storage, put into storage.

In the situation that my child has picked up my gun, fired the safety bullet, and left it for me, I would have picked up the pistol and attemped to press check it to confirm its loaded and find my pistol is locked up.

Yes, maybe I need that gun to defend myself or my family, but if my gun was locked away anyhow, I probably wasn't going to have it at an instant anyhow.

Its not a perfect solution, or maybe not even the right solution, but its a better step for some people than to do nothing.

Guest canynracer

I have three small children...My guns are locked up, my carry gun is on me, when I am home, I will put it on the top shelf of the closet, when they go to bed, it is on my nightstand, it is always loaded. I am up to go to work long before they wake.

My youngest is a 3yr old boy, who, incidentally has shot HIS 22 rifle, and is obsessed.. when he sees me take my gun off, he wants to hold it, I clear it, doublem then triple check for clear, drop a snap cap in and hand it to him. he stares, holds it, and tells me "DATS COOOOO" then he hands it back.

I try my best to remove the curiosity...I also have an 8yr old daughter, she is VERY aware, and never goes near my gun without me, she also shoots, and doesnt seem curious.

My 13 yr old daughter wants to shoot trap/skeet..she has shot my AR (VERY well BTW) and doesnt like handguns. But none the less, she is very safe around them.

All that in mind, I know how I was when I was young....but I always remembered the safely rules that were DRILLED into me...

Like I said, I just bring it out when they are in bed. otherwise, my carry gun is in the closet on the top shelf.

as far as this thing goes, if you want to do that, I would use a snap cap...something you can easily cycle out.

Edited by canynracer
while this sounds good i'm not walking around the house with a gun holstered on my side 24/7:)

But you could/should. I do along with many others. I have a 3 year old and while all of the other firearms are locked up, while I'm awake I always have my G26 with me. I wake up, do the 3 S's in the bathroom and strap on my "hip tumor" and go through out my day as usual. I disarm for work and sleep. That's it. :P Maybe I'm just a little :D but it's still kinda fun to be able to attatch my holster to my belt and carry my personal protector......:D

As far as the kid goes, my daughter doesn't have a clue my guns exist. Not yet anyways. Can't wait till she gets older....

Edited by kwe45919
Guest Phantom6

We sell these Safety Bullets in our shop. As a matter of fact, it is the only gun lock that we sell. Anyone of you that know me know that I am absolutely NO fan of gun locks. I believe that they are dangerous and in most situations are more apt to get the gun owner killed as they fumble with a key which requires fine motor skills that are pretty much out the window in a "white knuckle" situation. That being said, some people have or at least believe that they have a compelling need for some sort of locking device. Of all the devices I've seen, this one is the only one that comes the close to making any sense at all. It requires no key and works in any handgun or long gun no matter what type of caliber (they are caliber specific so you must buy the proper set to fit your firearm) or action is involved. As with any type of equipment, you must practice with it to become proficient in it's use. In revolvers you must thumb-cock the pistol and manually release the hammer while pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down so as not to activate the primer in the base of the safety bullet. Certainly dicey to say the least but again better than a key. It's much easier with a semi auto pistol. You simply present toward your target as you would in an "Israeli carry" draw stroke, cycling the slide as you come up on target. This draw technique worked well for the IDF and various Israeli police forces for years.

Again, I have no use for gun locks but if you feel you must have one in order to have a gun in your home then this Safety Bullet thing make the best sense of anything else that I have seen available to the public.