questions about Saiga 308

Guest jimdigriz

Guest jimdigriz

Does anyone on this forum have a Saiga 308? I'm considering buying one for a poor man's SHTF gun. I can't afford a FAL or other standard 308 battle rifle right now, but think that the Saiga might meet my needs well enough. I realize it would probably not be sufficiently accurate past 300 yards, but can't imagine ever having to make a shot longer than that in middle TN anyhow.

I'm curious about the impressions of this gun of anyone who has ever owned one. How accurate were you able to make it with iron sights, and with optics? Would it be easy to mount an Eotech or Aimpoint on it? How does the recoil compare with other similar rifles? Can you make follow-up shots reasonably quickly, or does the recoil/muzzle-rise make it difficulty to quickly get back on target or acquire a new one?

If anyone has one of these near Nashville, I'd be happy to pay their range fee for a day if they would let me fire some shots. (I would bring ammo for my shooting; I realize 308 is expensive right now).

Thanks.

Jim

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one I sold to another member on here. It shot good, needs a trigger job or make it 922r compliant and put a good trigger in. I had the 21" model and it was fairly accurate I never tried it past 100yds but with some good ammo it will do what you need it too and with crap ammo...well its an ak so you dont have to worry about it jamming. I had an Acog on mine using a reciever side mount. Definitely needs a different stock as its got quite a bit of recoil.

Guest jimdigriz
I had one I sold to another member on here. It shot good, needs a trigger job or make it 922r compliant and put a good trigger in. I had the 21" model and it was fairly accurate I never tried it past 100yds but with some good ammo it will do what you need it too and with crap ammo...well its an ak so you dont have to worry about it jamming. I had an Acog on mine using a reciever side mount. Definitely needs a different stock as its got quite a bit of recoil.

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if it's possible to mount a red dot scope and still be able to use the iron sights?

You can get a combloc side mount with their scope, most people just do that. the Saiga already has the mounting bracket for it. As far as red dots go you could most likely be able to install an AK railed gas tube cover, but to think about it i dont think it would work.

+1 on the saiga 308; I have the 16' version not converted (yet?). I use it to pop off clay targets (sitting against the dirt, not flown into the air) at 50-100 yards. Easily done with iron sights. I also have an 8x russian scope mounted using the side rails. With the $75 dragonuv style stock (if you don't convert), there is a cheek weld piece that you can swivel up or to the side if you want to use iron sights or the scope.

I love the rilfe. Strangely it seems more accurate using the cheap Russian ammo (monarch or bear) than the more 'expensive' stuff. (or maybe I'm just nervous when I'm firing at 75cents-$1 a shot)

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly

I have several S-308's, and the accuracy varies, with all of them shooting MOZ just fine. Optic mounts are available and function fine. The only real drawback to the rifles is pricey/non-existent full capacity magazines. I modify my factory mags, but they'll still only hold ten rounds.

Guest jimdigriz
I have several S-308's, and the accuracy varies, with all of them shooting MOZ just fine. Optic mounts are available and function fine. The only real drawback to the rifles is pricey/non-existent full capacity magazines. I modify my factory mags, but they'll still only hold ten rounds.

Do you have different barrel lengths? Is the rifle more accurate than the carbine?

Also, have you tried any of the Sure Fire magazines, and if so, are they reliable?

Thanks.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Do you have different barrel lengths? Is the rifle more accurate than the carbine?

Also, have you tried any of the Sure Fire magazines, and if so, are they reliable?

Thanks.

I have both barrel lengths. I don't notice any difference in accuracy. The rifles are a lot of fun to shoot.

I've never tried the Surefires as the price is just too steep. I'm stubborn. Those who've used them seem to like them, but you get some strange quirks out of smaller-lot manufacturing sometimes. The ten rounders for the S-12 are a good example.