UPDATE: No Guns Allowed In Johnson City City Parks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's one of the "Reader Reactions":

Posted by ( ****** ) on July 02, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I think some people should have to wear signs that say “I’M STUPIDâ€! That way we wouldn’t ask them for anything or depend on them! “HEARS YOUR SIGNâ€! I thought they we’re crazy when they passed the law allowing guns in bars, but this i’m just at a loss for words!

This person's inability to express their thoughts left me wondering for a moment what side of the fence they're on. One thing is clear. The spelling, punctuation, and grammer leave no doubt as to where the "I'm Stupid" sign should be worn. I wonder, can he hear my sign?

Just saw that on the news. I can't say that I'm surprised, I knew they would vote the way they did. Just another reason for me to stay away from Johnson City.

LOL Motasyco.:P If those are the kinds of people we're up against, and sometimes losing to, I really fear for our future.

Cliff

PS- PREEMPTIVE STRIKE- Yes, I realize that I'm not an HCP holder, but that doesn't mean that I can't care about this issue. I am planning to get my HCP someday.;)

I was listening to WCYB News and they said JC "reaffirmed the state law prohibiting guns in parks." Nothing about opting out of the new state law that allows HCP holders to carry. This is what WCYB has on their website.

WCYB - Guns In Parks

Posted: Friday, 03 July 2009 12:41AM

Guns In Parks

A city in our region is saying no to a state law. Last night Johnson City commissioners voted to re-affirm a law prohibiting guns in parks. The law also gives cities the right to make their own choice regarding guns in parks. Last night Johnson City took action to do just that. At a city commission meeting, commissioners voted to re-affirm an ordinance already in place prohibiting guns in parks. This is the second controversial handgun law passed this year. Last month, the Tennessee General Assembly voted to override the governors veto to prohibit handguns in establishments where alcohol is served.

I was listening to WCYB News and they said JC "reaffirmed the state law prohibiting guns in parks." Nothing about opting out of the new state law that allows HCP holders to carry. ...

FWIW, JC already has an ordinance prohibiting firearms in city parks. So, they really didn't do anything of note by making this statement.

Guest bipe215

The City Manager of JC, even though he was for the ban, is very much a pro gun guy. There are two basic sides here:

1) the LEO don't want to go into a 'situation' where two guys are shooting, and they don't know who the good guy is.

2) There have always been guns in parks, carried illegally. Now, those guns will still be there, but us law abiding permit holders will be unarmed.

I don't like it, but I see both sides.

Guest redbarron06

So does the ordanance prohibit off duty LEOs from carrying in the park? If not then teh residents need to sue as your cunstitutional rights have been violated. "Equal protection under the law" applies to everybody not just off duty LEOs.

1) the LEO don't want to go into a 'situation' where two guys are shooting, and they don't know who the good guy is.

So, as things are now (again), the bad guy settles it for them by shooting the good guy, then they know who to chase while the good guy bleeds on the ground? Great.

Remind me never to go to Johnson City. :)

P.S. The way things are going, I'll probably need to be reminded not to go to my hometown, too....

Laws don't keep the criminals out, nor will they make it appreciably more difficult for the police to figure out who the bad guy is (hint, he's the one shooting at you, officer).

What Johnson City, Bristol and Kingsport really mean to say, is it is illegal to defend yourself.

Smart move, folks. Lotta HCP carriers and elections will roll around sooner or later. So, hows' your resume looking?

I really wish the gun in parks bill didn't pass as is. I wish it had been either yes you can carry or no you still can't carry by state law.

Looks like the majority of the city parks are going to be banned and from my understanding they can ban one park but allow carry in another, making it all that more confusing or go to the next city over and they allow carry but your city doesn't.

I really wish the gun in parks bill didn't pass as is. I wish it had been either yes you can carry or no you still can't carry by state law.

Looks like the majority of the city parks are going to be banned and from my understanding they can ban one park but allow carry in another, making it all that more confusing or go to the next city over and they allow carry but your city doesn't.

I wish it hadn't either, but evidently the legislators backing the legislation decided that, for now, it was the only way to get local parks in any way, shape, or form.

It will indeed be a patch-work mess.

Guest foister82

the liberal council makes me wonder. They have the police go into an area and arrest the BG without regard of the person the BG is killing. Council dont care about the good guy who could've carried... he voted conservative anyway.