What would be a good used gun???

Guest xsmwsx

Guest xsmwsx

I have been looking for my first handgun. I really don't like the Glocks all that much and I'm kind of liking the Rugers. I really like the Walther PPK380 and the Ruger LCP. I'm not sure about the caliber I should get though. I think the .380 and 9mm are about the same but would it be wise to maybe get a .45 instead? I want something small and campact that will still give me some long range accuracy and pack a punch. Anyone have a suggestion?? I really don't want to buy new because I don't want to invest in something that I might not like. THANKS

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

find a range that rents guns. take a day and some cash, shoot some of everything. find what feels good in your hand and when you shoot it and go for that.

We will all have a diff opinion because of what we like. i personally hate small frame revolvers, and love polymer guns (mainly XD's), sigs, smith mid-size auto's and 1911's. everyone will have differnt input, but at the end of the day we carry and shoot what we do becuase we are comfortable with it.

if you go on other's opinions, there's a good possibility you will find yourself looking to sell or trade pretty quickly.

Guest xsmwsx

I really don't want a revolver. I think it's a good idea to rent some guns and see what I like. I kind of have my heart set on a small .45 or .380 at this point but you never know. Like I said something used to start with then when I find something I really like I'll buy new for sure!!

Guest abailey362

9mm is always a good choice. cheaper to shoot, good for defense w/ proper ammo, and pretty readily available.

I choose .40 cal for pretty much everything because it's a little bit bigger round, but not too much more expensive. Helps to only have to stockpile 1 handgun caliber too

Guest clsutton21
There is quite a significant difference between the oomph (tech term) of these two calibers.

- OS

I'm pretty sure he's thinking .38 special and 9mm

what is your budget? that can be helpfull as far as giving ideas. what are the features you are looking for in your first handgun? do you want a single/double or single action only or double action only? Metal frame or polymer? As far as caliber i'd go with 9mm over 380acp price is better and has more ummph less snappy as well.

9mm is really just a .380magnum

As for a .45, just get a round near the bad guy and they will drop over dead. Actually hit them with it and body parts will fall off. Its quite the scene.

I would opt for a .45.

Used guns are easy to find Look at the for sale stuff here or just shop around in gun stores.

Guest HexHead
I'm pretty sure he's thinking .38 special and 9mm

No, I bet he's thinking 9x19 and 9x17 are probably pretty close. Keep in mind ,380 is also called 9mm Short.

Guest HexHead

What is it about Glocks you don't like?

I listen to Tom Gresham's Gun Talk a lot and he gets lots of calls with questions like yours. He usually tells people the S&W M&P in 9mm is a great first gun. Interchangeable back straps allow you to fit it to your hand, it's lightweight and a good shooter.

I have a friend that has one and he loves it. I've shot it and it's a nice pistol.

Guest xsmwsx

Some good advise. I was thinking a .45 myself but I want something compact. I would spend anywhere between 250-350 depending. I really don't want to go much higher then that for my first gun. I figure I can find something used in that range that's good and reliable. Like I said I really don't like the Glock because they all seem to look the same. I want something that has some character if that makes any sense..........

• Administrator
I have been looking for my first handgun. I really don't like the Glocks all that much and I'm kind of liking the Rugers. I really like the Walther PPK380 and the Ruger LCP. I'm not sure about the caliber I should get though. I think the .380 and 9mm are about the same but would it be wise to maybe get a .45 instead? I want something small and campact that will still give me some long range accuracy and pack a punch. Anyone have a suggestion?? I really don't want to buy new because I don't want to invest in something that I might not like. THANKS

Try before you buy. Find a range that rents various handguns in various calibers and try them. See what fits best for you.

Your questions are, at no fault of your own, rife with things that indicate that your knowledge of handguns and terminal ballistics are fairly limited. Again, by no fault of your own. We all start somewhere. ;)

The .380 has regained popularity again lately for reasons that honestly escape me. It is on the weak end of the spectrum and at one point was relegated strictly to the domain of backup guns. Clever marketing has created a paradigm shift in the gun-buying public and more people are going to it as their primary weapon of choice. I have no idea why. The ballistics characteristics of the .380 ACP just aren't what I would want in a primary handgun.

That being said, there is no such thing as "stopping power" so if we set that aside and consider that what makes a handgun cartridge potent are it's abilities to expand and to penetrate, we should reasonably agree that you want a handgun cartridge that is capable of good performance in both areas. The .380 just can't. Hence, most savvy shooters carry .380 ACP in hardball, FMJ round nose so that they can get maximum penetration out of the round rather than have it expand and lose velocity extremely fast as soon as it hits clothing, flesh, muscle, bone.

I'd be thinking more in terms of 9mm, .38spl, .357 Mag, .40SW, or .45ACP for my primary carry weapon. There really is little difference between the terminal ballistics of any of these in "social applications" so just pick the one that works best for you.

Just my 2-cents.

A compact .45 in that price range will be a challenge.

The most compact of the genre is the Kahr PM45, but way above the $$ your are considering.

S&W M&P 45c isn't a bad size, but again twice the $$ you are looking at.

You may consider the Springfield XD.

As suggested go to the range and rent a few.

As indicated also, .45 vs 9mm is orders of magnitude more expensive...hence if you are going to shoot a great deal you may wish to consider a 9mm.

You can get a S&W MP9c (compact) 13 round capacity or .45 from Buds' for about $500 and some change plus transfer fee. Nice rig.

S&W M&P9C 9mm 3.5 Black 12R for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $531.00

Good luck on your search. In your price range I would scour the gun shops for a good used pistol.

If you like the Ruger's I don't think you could go wrong with a SR9 or a P95. P95 is a bit big, but can be carried with the right holster and attire. I did it for a few months until I got my beloved EMP. Still love the gun and won't get rid of it, the EMP is just way more practical for EDC. A used P series Ruger should be easy to find and well within your price range, heck you could get a new one for just a few $$ more or in that budget if you stay blued. I think for a first gun 9mm is a great choice because of the price of ammo and you are gonna want to get out there and shoot some without breaking the bank. Just my ;). Good luck!

Guest clsutton21

Mind if I ask what it is you don't like about revolvers? Ruger makes some excellent ones if it's just Ruger you are after.

The “Caliber warsâ€:) There are hundreds of threads on the topic here.

I would stay away from the .380 and the .45 both for now if this is a carry gun. A .380 is one step above a straw and a spitball and a .45 will cost a bunch if you want a quality one small enough for carry. 9mm and .40S&W will be the most common.

If it’s a “range gun†or for “home protection†you really don’t need the small size of a .380, and you probably won’t like the cost of shooting a .45.

Any quality used handgun is going to approach $500. You can buy a new M&P for that and have a lifetime warranty.

I was going to suggest where you could go see them all in one place; but holy crap it would be a long drive from Albany, NY willy_nilly.gif

Guest xsmwsx

Hahaha yeah it would be a long drive. I will be hopefully moving down that way soon..... Not sure when yet but I would say in the next month or so. Hopefully sooner.