Going to FL

Guest robert83

Guest robert83

Have a TN permit and driving to FL for a trip. Plan to carry the whole way down. I know Florida has reciprocity with TN and everything should be cool. What about Alabama? They do not have reciprocity with TN. Could I get in trouble carrying a loaded gun in my car and concealed on myself when in Alabama? From what i've been reading it sounds like I will be fine. But I am concerned because there is no official agreement with TN and Alabama.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest looneeetunes

going to panama city in july here also. are their any major differences in when and where you can carry? and if i am correct it is also in fla. not a concealed carry state but a carry state like tn. for instance if i bend over and it comes exposed in fla. then i am not illegal.. right??

Guest Britestar

Take it from me unless they changed the Law in Fl over the last three years, Fl. is a CONCEAL STATE ONLY. I was an instructor and a gun shop owner in Brooksville Fl. In fl when you carry concealed it must be concealed where no one can tell, (you have shoulder holster and people can see it when you move around or bend over type thing) you are in violation. Please carry concealed and concealed well. Whether it is interperted that way by a paticular officer or not that is the law. Concealed

Then hangunlaws.us needs to update their info. Cuz then I was waaaaay in the wrong when I went to Gulf Shores.

Alabama recognizes TN permit.

Alabama and TN do not have reciprocity agreement.

There is absolutely NO difference as far as your rights to carry in Alabama or for an Alabama permit holder to carry in TN.

- OS

There is absolutely NO difference as far as your rights to carry in Alabama or for an Alabama permit holder to carry in TN.

- OS

+1

I think people get reciprocity and recognition confused sometimes. All reciprocity means when it comes to carry permits is there is a formal, written agreement in place. However many states will recognize other state's permits even without a written agreement.

Just like TN recognizes ALL other state's permits even though it doesn't have reciprocity with all the other states.

Also...you may want to see these two pages....

http://www.jeffcosheriff.org/gun_law_packet.pdf

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office

Pistol Permits - Reciprocity

In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing handgun licenses issued by other states provided that state would recognize Alabama's pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama.

Guest boatme99

Former Floridian here, (left 6 months ago) weapon MUST be concealed! NO printing. You can carry in vehicle as long as it's out of sight-does not have to be holstered or locked. It can be wrapped in a newspaper on the front seat if you want, although I wouldn't recommend it. If you're going to be there a while, look for Jon Gutmachers book on Fl. gun laws. Most gun shops will have it. Enjoy the trip.

Guest clsutton21

- OS

This basically equates to mean: We meet the requirements to carry there, they just don't meet ours. Reciprocity means equality, as in a state where we can carry there and they can carry here. You are fine in Alabama.

This basically equates to mean: We meet the requirements to carry there, they just don't meet ours....

Yet TN allows carry with a 'Bama permit.

The main "real world" thing that reciprocity affects is when someone moves to TN and needs to get TN permit. In many cases, new residents with a carry permit coming from reciprocal states either do not have to take the handgun course, or get permit for the renewal rate rather than the new permit rate, stuff like that.

- OS

Guest Rando

I have carried there before and will do so again in three weeks. When they say time flies it does not count the weeks before vacation!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Yet TN allows carry with a 'Bama permit.

The main "real world" thing that reciprocity affects is when someone moves to TN and needs to get TN permit. In many cases, new residents with a carry permit coming from reciprocal states either do not have to take the handgun course, or get permit for the renewal rate rather than the new permit rate, stuff like that.

- OS

A few years ago, probably still this way, Alabama did not require background checks for Handgun Permits, Local LEO could give to anyone of their choice and you only had to be 18 to obtain one, Florida and many other states agreed that that is irresponsible and therefore would not allow AL permit holders to carry in their state, I do not blame them

Guest steve24
A few years ago, probably still this way, Alabama did not require background checks for Handgun Permits, Local LEO could give to anyone of their choice and you only had to be 18 to obtain one, Florida and many other states agreed that that is irresponsible and therefore would not allow AL permit holders to carry in their state, I do not blame them

That's the same thing I was told by my instructor a couple of years ago. Alabama doesn't require any training or background checks to obtain a carry permit, so we don't have reciprocity with them...but they do recognize our permits.

That's the same thing I was told by my instructor a couple of years ago. Alabama doesn't require any training or background checks to obtain a carry permit, so we don't have reciprocity with them...but they do recognize our permits.

You're right there is no written reciprocity agreement between AL and TN, but TN also recognizes AL permits....TN recognizes ALL other state permits.

Of course I think VT and AK have it right in that no permit should be required, period, to carry.

Of course I think VT and AK have it right in that no permit should be required, period, to carry.

And I would totally move to one of those states if it were not SO BLASTED COLD!!!:P Too bad AK has full days of light/darkness which makes for crazy people. Too bad VT has too many commie liberals.

Matthew

Im in Mayport, (Jacksonville) FL. right now and carry everywhere but on Navy Base.I asked my sons Cheif but,she did not know for sure if I could check it at the armory or not.I just park the motor home off base and my son picks me up takes me on the ship and brings me back in the afternoon.