Trout fishing in Tennessee

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

Last week I went to the Telico River and had my 1st taste of trout fishing.

I freaking love it. Probably the most fun I have had in 10 years.

It is so different from lake fishing. Does anyone have any tips, advise or websites on catching trout. I googled it and came up with a few tips that helped. Looking for more before we go back in a week or two.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When considering Tellico/Citico the first thing you have to know is that it is a stocked river. I say this because you may have cought your limit every day this week, but go back in a month and not see one single trout. It just depends on if they stocked it or not. If you go to Tellico and don't have any luck you can go over the mountain to Citico creek (I think the permits are all still the same) and see if they stocked there.

Most of the fishing pressure is on Sat. and Sun. so sometimes I like to go on Tues or Wed. when it is much less crowded and pick up the fish that were hooked and got off or were over looked all together.

My Father first took me to Citico/Tellico when I was 5 years old and I have been fishing there ever since. I have 30 years of advice I could give you, but that would take a book.:tough:

What kind of set up were you using? Hook size, line weight, sinkers, bait?

Edited by BrasilNuts

I don't care much for lake/pond fishing, but there is just something to being on a clear river and trout fishing. I haven't fished much here but we used to go all the time on the White River in Arkansas. Fly fishing is the best.

Guest kerstuff

Shhhhhhhh, there's no trout in Citigo/Tellico/North River/Bald River. You were misinformed & brain washed! Say this out loud, "there is no trout, there is no trout" :tough:

My Great Grandfather showed me how to catch trout on Bald River when I was five. I'll never forget that. That is where all of my family, maternal & paternal, are from.

Guest SUNTZU

Citico creek on a weekend during stocking is like going to Cross Eyed Cricket when they were open, that or fishing off of a pier in New Hampshire along with half the state. If you camp or get there in the wee hours of the morning, you can have a great time before some douchebag comes down and gets in your hip pocket and starts casting right over the top of your's. It is a lot of fun, especially if you are taking a young one. Citico is one of the best places to fish using powerbait, the playdough kind.

The lower end of Abram's Creek, which is the bottom of the Abram's Fall's waterway, has some decent fishing. There is a seasonal primitive pay and camp site there, as well as a parking lot for out of season. Its also a great place to go backpacking. some of the trails are closed right now due to bear activity. Lots of them right in that area.

Guest mikedwood

I was using a number 6 hook, a bb size sinker, and night crawlers for the rod a regular open face.

Casting up stream into the rapids and letting it coast down into some calm water.

Yeah that clear, rapid water fishing is the stuff as far as I am concerned.

Guest Spuds

Try the tiny gold plated hooks (#10 or #12 IIRC) and Kountry Kist canned whole kernal corn. That combo has served me well since about 1972.

For the calm, still holes, try some Velveeta.

Back when I was in high skrool, on Tellico's opening day you could count on a good portion of the male students being mysteriously absent from skrool.

Driving up from Cleveland, we'd always stop at Oscar's in Etowah for ice, then get out daily permits at Tallent Drugs in Tellico, which opened up at 4 a.m. for the fishermen. Then scramble up the river to stake out our favorite holes.

Trout fishing is a lot of fun...nice that there are many parts where you can do it and still have peace of mind. They stock lake junior here in Chattanooga a couple of times a year and it looks like this for about 3 days until all the fish are picked out of the lake.

crowded%20fishing.JPG

Best Place I went was the Green River in Montana. We were in a very remote part and you had to hike a few miles above a natual fiord lake to get to the upper stream. We were at 5k-6k elevation IIRC and the trout were aggressive and BIG. We couldn't get them to hit fly's so we tried some rogue tri-hook bass lures we had and they were snagging them almost as quick as they broke the surface of the water. This was late July and the water temp was in the 40's. Very COLD.

Another great place was Ross Lake in Northern Cascades Park in Washington state. Went up above Ross dam to the river and the High mountain tributaries flowing in to the lake were spawining grounds for the trout. It was literally like fish in a barrel. Fun times.

Not my pictures but this is it:

0709RossLake0161.jpg

0709RossLake0099.jpg200509180026.jpg

Edited by Smith

We fish on the Obey River and its tailwaters below Dale Hollow dam. There is a trout hatchery right below the dam and they stock the small creeks once a week in the summer, i dont know how often the river is stocked. We used to use spinning reels but have been using fly rods for 4-5 years. All the flies are very small, like 18's or 20's. The Bass Pro Shops in Opry Mills has a fly shop and they have fishing reports for all the local spots for what has hatched and what flys to use. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about getting into fly fishing to go check them out, they helped me a ton.

-Jason G

Guest Bronker

Anyone doing Caney Fork below CH dam anymore? I haven't been in a while, but have the itch again.

Nate, after posting those Montana photos that I have to look at while I'M AT WORK!!!! I could just slap you! :D

Someone organize a TGO Fly Trip...I'll be there!!!

Guest db99wj
Trout fishing is a lot of fun...nice that there are many parts where you can do it and still have peace of mind. They stock lake junior here in Chattanooga a couple of times a year and it looks like this for about 3 days until all the fish are picked out of the lake.

crowded%20fishing.JPG

I wouldn't even bother, I would turn around and go back home. Part of the true fishing experience is to get away from.....that, people. I'm sure there our cell phone conversations going on too.

I went trout fishing as a kid, but not fly fishing. Would like to do that again, I did catch a trout with a net a few weeks ago.

Pictures473.jpg?t=1246373542

Here is a small bass I caught as well. Bass fishing is what I love to do.

Pictures541.jpg?t=1246373744

Guest SUNTZU

Bass fishing is what I mainly do as well, especially being around all the spots here in Knoxville. The spot in that picture is begging me to come fish it!

Guest db99wj

I was bass fishing and that pesky trout kept going after my spinner bait, so I grabbed a net, and caught his butt. Trout weight a good 4-5lbs. Very thick and heavy. That spot is a private lake over in Arkansas, we were on a cub scout camp out on a friends land....it's stocked... :D

Guest SUNTZU

I went with my dad and brother to Florida to a fishing camp that was at an abandoned sand quarry. Air Lizards and lily pads, hoo boy! I kept pissing my dad and brother off by doing the Jaws theme when I just KNEW I was getting ready to slay one. GREAT TIMES!

Guest db99wj
I went with my dad and brother to Florida to a fishing camp that was at an abandoned sand quarry. Air Lizards and lily pads, hoo boy! I kept pissing my dad and brother off by doing the Jaws theme when I just KNEW I was getting ready to slay one. GREAT TIMES!

Nothing better than hitting a lily pad and seeing the water "boil" when the bait drops down off of it!!!

I

I went trout fishing as a kid, but not fly fishing. Would like to do that again, I did catch a trout with a net a few weeks ago.

Pictures473.jpg?t=1246373542

Old man I grew up with use to talk about sliding you hands along the river bank and tossing the trout onto the bank. I never believed him till I saw that 82 yr old man do it. Pretty funny.

Guest db99wj
Old man I grew up with use to talk about sliding you hands along the river bank and tossing the trout onto the bank. I never believed him till I saw that 82 yr old man do it. Pretty funny.

That stupid fish wouldn't leave me alone, and he wouldn't take my spinner bait. He was within 2" of the bank, so I thought, well get him...and I did. Kinda pissed him off.:D

I saw several of them, all within a few inches of the bank. Their backs would be out of the water, that's how shallow they were.