Pink Palace in Memphis ?

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

So what is the Pink Palace considered ?

The web site states:

Operated by the City of Memphis Division of Park Services and Memphis Museums, Inc.

So how does park carry affect the Pink Palace ? Is it considered a City Park property ? Since it is Operated by the City of Memphis Division of Park Services ?

Any ideas ?

J

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I guess you have to be from Memphis to know what the Pink Palace is HUH.

I guess. It's a museum now. It used to be a mansion this guy built in the late 1800s or early 1900s. He died and they added on and turned into a museum, planetarium, and IMAX theater.

The guy who started Piggly Wiggly started building it but went bankrupt and the city took it over and made it a museum. It is a mansion made with pink block/brick. Is it still open? as a kid it was pretty neat, but my frame of reference at 8 was pretty limited.:P

Guest crotalus01

Actually its one of the cooler things in Memfrica, a nice museum with a really cool planetarium and Imax theater. Shame not more people know about it. If for some strange reason I knew someone who wanted to visit Memphis it would be near the top of the list of things to do here.

I also would like to know what the carry situation is there.

I'm not familliar with the place, but just because it is run by the parks dept doesn't make it a park I wouldn't think.

From what other have said, it is a museum...not a park. So carry should be legal there now, unless the city has posted a 39-17-1359 sign.

Guest db99wj

I have not been since I was a kid and I should take my kids. Putting that on my list of things to do when we get back in town.....What signs?

Guest jcramin

We have a membership so we go a lot. I looked also it is NOT posted. But here is what I was wondering.

The section of the law that said "other building facility" in the fallowing section of 39-17-1311

public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

• Moderators

i wonder how whether that would affect the PP at all though since it is operated jointly by the Memphis Park Services AND Memphis Museums Inc. a non profit. those public private partnerships are always weird.