G17 or XDM9mm?

tbuford

Guest FiddleDog

The two point differently, from my experience. the XD points more like a 1911 than the Glock does. Both are great pistols. I chose the Glock when facing that same decision around a month ago.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DEROARK

I take my hat off to people who carry a Glock 17 or 19. I own the 17 and have friends with the 19 and they are hard to carry in my opinion. I carry Kahr's, Para's and a Ruger LCP. For the home or range? Don't forget the Ruger SR9. It has a safety, is easier to conceal than a Glock and just as accurate and reliable. I have no shooting experience with the XDM but have met Glock pushing trainers that have nothing good to say about them. Which means they must be pretty damn good. Grip angle is going to be the important thing in my opinion. Choose the one that feels and points like you like it.

Guest ab28
I already have a G27 that is my primary carry....and a Sig 229 that rests in the box waiting for my 15 yr old...looking for something to pull nightstand duty along with some major capacity in a full size frame...Glocks have proven themselves to me to be VERY dependable and accurate for a subcompact...anyone shot the Glock and the XDM....what is the comparison on the trigger?

Do what I do and use the 15 round mag in it at night. I carry my G27 with a 10+1 mag, and swap out the mags at night. Keep things simple. That Glock is just as good for home defense as it is for carry. Now, if you just want an excuse to buy another gun...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VolGrad

First off ... take everything you have ever known or thought about an XD and throw it out the window. The XDm is IMO nothing like it.

Disclaimer: I am a die-hard Glock guy. My favorite Glock is a G19. IMO it is the best all around pistol ever made. I know that kind of statement generally turns people off right out of the box but it is defensible. It is a perfect blend of size for duty/carry/range and is utterly reliable.

Now, I currently own a XDm in 9mm and love it too. I shoot it almost as well as my G19 and the recoil feels softer than my G19. However, like someone already point out ... the trigger pull is longer as is the trigger reset. That does make a big difference.

Comparing the G17 and the XDm I personally choose the XDm even though I like the Glock trigger better. The XDm just felt better in my hand and I shot it MUCH better. Comparing the XDm to the G19 ... I choose the G19. If this is to be a dedicated house gun then just toss a coin. Either will serve you well.

Guest icehead

I want a G17, but I already got a G19 and to me it's the best all round gun ever. I've seen some small guys carry a G17 in the summer. Can be done, but I would go with G19 for CCW.

Guest pharmtecher

Glock 17 if you have big hands or 19 if you have normal/small size hands. Reliability is not even close between the two. IF the qc of the XD was consistent than it might work out but it isn't. I think the mags might be a large portion of that guns problem.

... IF the qc of the XD was consistent than it might work out but it isn't. I think the mags might be a large portion of that guns problem.

I call BS on that statement.

There's no diff between Glock and XD quality and reliability.

Individual preferences for feel, pointability, and features are the only significant differences between them.

- OS

Guest pharmtecher

Well I call bs on your bs. Some XD run great but the overall number compared to a glock is not close. Your XD might be great but the ratio of good to bad is not that great.

Well I call bs on your bs. Some XD run great but the overall number compared to a glock is not close. Your XD might be great but the ratio of good to bad is not that great.

Ok, I yield to your overwhelming statistical proof.

- OS

Based on ...........?