G17 or XDM9mm?

tbuford

Hey all....trying to pick everyone's brain a little here....what are your thoughts on the G17 as compared to the XDM9mm? My points of comparison would be accuracy, reliability, smoothness of the action / trigger, take down........any input is appreciated. :pleased:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XDM everyday of the week, and twice on sunday.

this is all my personal opinion/experiences but

better trigger, smoother action, smoother/tighter feel overall, accuracy was a hair better from the factory with the xdm, take down is just as easy on both, reliability was 100% on XDM.

and i personally favor the asthetics of the xdm more than the g17

now, glocks do have a better aftermarket no doubt.

while the XDM does have an edge in mag capacity with the flush-fitting magazines, the g17 accepts the g18 31/33 round mags

the xdm also has the interchangeable backstrap on the grip as the glock doesnt

also the XDM just feels right in my hand, it points more natural like a 1911

Guest grimel

Goto a shop with both. Have them lay both on the counter. Pick a spot on the wall, punch the gun to that spot. Swap guns. Buy which ever comes up with the sights aligned. Neither the Glock nor the XD come up right? Try a Walther P99, Sig 229, S&W M&P, etc Buy what is the most natural pointer. Everything else becomes easier if you aren't fighting the gun.

For me, it's the XD (maybe the new XDm if they only made a subcompact model!) in the holster.

Guest eyebedam
Goto a shop with both. Have them lay both on the counter. Pick a spot on the wall, punch the gun to that spot. Swap guns. Buy which ever comes up with the sights aligned. Neither the Glock nor the XD come up right? Try a Walther P99, Sig 229, S&W M&P, etc Buy what is the most natural pointer. Everything else becomes easier if you aren't fighting the gun.

For me, it's the XD (maybe the new XDm if they only made a subcompact model!) in the holster.

Scratch both & go G19........ Just my thoughts & u can take them with a grain of salt.

When i help people choose a gun i tell them 3 thing to look for, does it fit your hand, does it fit your wallet and does it have sex appeal. all that said I'd prefer the Glock over the XD.

Just my opinion of course, but I find the Glocks a bit ugly. Some guns have nice shapes with curves in all the right places. Nice to hold and look at. Glocks remind me of a German woman named Bertha.

gaston doesnt like it when you talk about his wife in a negative way

Glocks are ugly but they work every time. I personally dont like the trigger pull on the XD's. Trigger control leds to accuracy or lack there of. And you can put a Glock through anything you want to and its still going to run. Glock all the way for me. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions....

-Jason G

That would happen to be my grandmother. Seriously. Now, you'd like to say...? :pleased:

:D

Is she hot, or not? Seriously, I didn't say WHICH German woman named Bertha. I just said A German woman named Bertha. I'm sure the one I'm thinking of isn't your grandmother.

I already have a G27 that is my primary carry....and a Sig 229 that rests in the box waiting for my 15 yr old...looking for something to pull nightstand duty along with some major capacity in a full size frame...Glocks have proven themselves to me to be VERY dependable and accurate for a subcompact...anyone shot the Glock and the XDM....what is the comparison on the trigger?

I find the factory XDM trigger to be a bit smoother than the factory glock17, however, you can put a 3lbs glock 34 trigger in your 17. XDM give you the choice of adjustable back straps, the glock does not. glock is a more simple gun, so when something breaks you can fix it yourself, with the XD you don't have that choice. personally I don't like either, I am more accurate with a XD than i am with glocks. but you can rapid fir a glock better. go with whichever gun you feel better with and shoot better with.

With the parts availability now for XD's and easily tuned triggers, I'd go with the XDm. In a full size, capacity is a bigger factor to me and I like the XDm there. All things being equal, the 17 just doesn't do anything for me. The XDm however, has all the bells and whistles that sucker me in. ;)

On a side note, if I were going with a Glock I'd go with a 19. There are many superior guns to the 17 in the fullsize category, but the 19 has few competetors.

I have an XDM .40 as well as a G19 (and G34 for that matter, not a G17 however I used to have one and stayed at a Holiday Inn with it once....:P). Both are excellent guns. As others have pointed out, the XDM has better ergonomics, looks and sex appeal IMHO and even a smoother trigger until you get to one feature and that is trigger reset. The Glocks trigger reset is about 1/8" and the XDM's is 5/16"+. I just measured my G19 & G34 and compared them to my XDM .40 as well as my business partners XDM 9 I just happen to have in front of me. As TGO David said in another thread, "By way of comparison my Glock 19 has a superb trigger reset. It is firm and authoritative. You feel the trigger reset CLICK smartly against your finger and it happens at a very small fraction of the trigger's full range of motion as you remove pressure after the previous shot was fired. Aside from being damn near indestructible, amazing trigger reset is probably the Glock automatic pistol's secondary claim to fame." The trigger reset is awesome, and for what it's worth, the Walther P99 AS is very similar. Another thing that drives me crazy about the XDM's trigger is the noise ( I know, picky picky). I wear electronic hearing protectors which amplify the sound however you can hear them without in a quite room. When depressed, the trigger safety spring makes a "tinking" noise. If I could get rid of that, modify the reset to that similar to the Glock, the XDM would damn near be the perfect pistol. Or, I guess you could say modify G17 to match the Ergonomics and looks of the XDM and it truly would be perfection ;)

Edited by DavidD
Guest mikedwood

I say go with which one feels better and you shoot better.

I personally have drank the Glock Kool-aid and am totally hooked on Glock perfection. My son likes XD's? Go figure.

Were you to choose Glock I'd look at the G19 instead of the G17. The G19 is big enough yet still pretty concealable if you choose to carry said Glock.

I can offer nothing on XD's except that I have fondled a few in gunstores and thought "when I get the money I'm going to get me one of these." So far though when I get the money it goes on another Glock or the Keltec Sub2k in Glock mag form.

The thing I like best about Glock is if you want a holster or some mags, you can't trip over a gunstore that doens't have more holsters for Glocks than anything and doesn't atleast have a mag or 10 for Glocks. I have seen some stores stock XD stuff but it's not as easy to run across it.

Edited by mikedwood
Guest eyescream
I say go with which one feels better and you shoot better.

This is key. Shoot both and see which you like.

I never really cared for Glocks. My dad bought an XDm9 and I got to shoot it at the range with him, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Guest mikedwood

:rolleyes: I like Glock. Glocks are all I really want for defense and carry.

Were I to consider competition I dunno what I would land on.

Edited by mikedwood
Guest Hemo

My first handgun purchase was a Glock 19 when I was 21 years old. I traded it in and went for HK's and the fairly new gun at the time, the XD. The early XD I had experienced some of the early surface rust that was common then.long story short, today I own a sig 229 .357 sig in place of the hk uspc that turned me on to the caliber, but I will go back to buy a uspc in 9mm, .357sig, .45acp, and a sig 226 in 9mm....I won't go back for another Glock.

I just feel like the extra money is worth it. Between the two, even with the rust I would probably still buy the XD over the Glock. It was just a better fit for me, but not as much as the hammer fired models.

Shoot them all. all of them!

Edited by Hemo
brain fart
Guest 1shot

Like others have said go with what feels and shoots best for you. But definitely load it up with Speer Gold Dots so in a SD situation you will not need a full magazine unless you are a attacked by an army of thugs. The Gold Dot is the best handgun SD bullet I have ever seen the Hornady XTP runs a close 2nd. I myself carry a G-17 most every day.

Guest tlondon
Just my opinion of course, but I find the Glocks a bit ugly. Some guns have nice shapes with curves in all the right places. Nice to hold and look at. Glocks remind me of a German woman named Bertha.

:rofl::rofl::(