NEED HELP!!

Guest xsmwsx

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest xsmwsx

The other thing is, now that I think about it, I don't really care if it takes me a little more time to get my carry permit. If I have to wait 2 years then that's fine. Can I at least get a handgun if I can obtain my Tennessee drivers lic.? I'm new to owning a handgun and it doesn't make much sense for me to carry without some time shooting and getting the proper training. I'm a responsible adult and I don't feel like it would be smart at all for me to carry until I have some time getting use to having the gun in the first place. So..... can I at least purchase a gun, have it in my home, and carry it in my car?

Guest abailey362

you cna transport in your car in a non functional state. lock ammo/magazines in your glove box and the gun in a case in the trunk is probably the best way

Guest abailey362
Need to clear out your pm's. I tried to send you one and it bounced.:P

fixed.....my benefactor staus expired apparently, so the limit went from 200 to 50

Guest xsmwsx

So does anyone else have their take on my chances of getting a HCP when I get to TN. Like my original post said...... I got a misdemeanor dui over 3 years ago. I have no other convictions. What are my chances of getting a HCP?

So does anyone else have their take on my chances of getting a HCP when I get to TN. Like my original post said...... I got a misdemeanor dui over 3 years ago. I have no other convictions. What are my chances of getting a HCP?

I'd agree that though the law reads somewhat gray, its intent is that you may have no DUI/DWI convictions in the last 5 years. I assume that when they do the background check, yours would show up, but then again, interstate data bases can be imperfect, so it's conceivable it would not. It's my understanding that you can pay to have a relatively inexpensive similar background check run on yourself in TN, to see if it shows.

Any Class A misdemeanor (which DUI is in TN), if you have a TN permit, you lose it for the duration of the sentence (including probation time), but DUI is treated even more harshly than many others, hence the 5 year thing.

Your DUI conviction will not keep you from buying guns and possessing loaded guns in your residence in our fair state. However, as others have pointed out, you can not carry loaded handguns or long guns in your vehicle without a HCP. Ammo can not be "readily accessible" to the unloaded gun in the vehicle either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest xsmwsx

So...... I found out that I don't have a misdemeanor or felony. My DWI was reduced to a DWAI which is a traffic infraction. The same thing as getting a speeding ticket. So technically I shouldn't have any trouble getting my carry permit. Anyone want to give me their take on that??

Guest xsmwsx

yeah I'm pretty excited about it....... hopefully I'll be moving down there withing the next month. I'm still waiting to see if I got the job yet or not. With any luck I'll be good to go sometime soon.

Welcome to the United States! Just go get a HCP. I doubt you will have any problems. Regarding ease of purchase in Tennessee (God's Chosen State) and Chattanooga (The Buckle on the Bible Belt) look at this link from today's Chattanooga Times Free Press. What you see is about a normal "going into a weekend" offering in the classified.

Cherokee Slim

July 2009 Classified Ads Guns Chattanooga Times Free Press

Yup. Welcome to the REAL America from a fellow escapee from the evil empire state.

If you're anything like me, you'll love it here and never look back. Best folks I ever met down here.

Guest Old goat

What is this you speak of "DWAI" driving while almost intoxicated?

Also, I see you are coming from Albany, if you ever make it down into Georgia, that is pronounced All Benny, remember that, its important. and the correct spelling is "y'all", that is important also.:rolleyes:

Guest logicprevails

It's also pronounced 'All Benny' in KY, too. Glad to hear you're migrating to God's Country. I'm currently typing this from Youngstown, NY (visiting my in-laws). We just got back from Buffalo Gun Center (following wings at the Anchor Bar) and the prices in TN are cheaper, as well....especially on Barretts.

Unlike NY, there are gun stores almost everywhere. Really good ones usually close by. You can actually buy guns from your buddy and not have to report it to the gubment, unlike the People's Republic of NY. As a matter of fact, buy as many as you want, as frequently as you want, no registration or personal visits from the State Gestapo to check you out. You still have to do the instant background check thing for purchases at retail, but no NY-style Nazi registration.

Don't forget to bring your own Beef on Weck, Salt Potatoes, Anchor Bar Wing Sauce, etc. We do BBQ well, but no real NY food. Don't know how familiar you are to Niagara Falls, but there darn sure ain't no Viola's Steak & Cheese Subs in

TN, either.

What is this you speak of "DWAI" driving while almost intoxicated?

Also, I see you are coming from Albany, if you ever make it down into Georgia, that is pronounced All Benny, remember that, its important. and the correct spelling is "y'all", that is important also.:rolleyes:

DWAI is just a stoooopid NYS revenue generator. (Driving with ability impaired) It's like saying, "Shoot. You're not over the legal limit, but since I took the time to stop you, I'm charging you with SOMETHING, or else I'll get my pee pee slaped for not making the state some dough"

It, like everyting else in NY is crap. That's why most of the LEO's get so damn frustrated. Their hands are tied, and they HAVE to spend time on these stupid charges.

It's also pronounced 'All Benny' in KY, too. Glad to hear you're migrating to God's Country. I'm currently typing this from Youngstown, NY (visiting my in-laws). We just got back from Buffalo Gun Center (following wings at the Anchor Bar) and the prices in TN are cheaper, as well....especially on Barretts.

Unlike NY, there are gun stores almost everywhere. Really good ones usually close by. You can actually buy guns from your buddy and not have to report it to the gubment, unlike the People's Republic of NY. As a matter of fact, buy as many as you want, as frequently as you want, no registration or personal visits from the State Gestapo to check you out. You still have to do the instant background check thing for purchases at retail, but no NY-style Nazi registration.

Don't forget to bring your own Beef on Weck, Salt Potatoes, Anchor Bar Wing Sauce, etc. We do BBQ well, but no real NY food. Don't know how familiar you are to Niagara Falls, but there darn sure ain't no Viola's Steak & Cheese Subs in

TN, either.

I'm thinking the only thing he's going to miss is the pizza and wings.

The BBQ here is much better!

If he's a Saranac beer fan though, he'll need to bring that with him!

So...... I found out that I don't have a misdemeanor or felony. My DWI was reduced to a DWAI which is a traffic infraction. The same thing as getting a speeding ticket. So technically I shouldn't have any trouble getting my carry permit. Anyone want to give me their take on that??

I know nothing about New York law and had to look up what DWAI stood for. According to the web sites I looked at it is a lesser offense than DUI and is not a criminal misdemeanor unless you have three convictions.

But even if it is a criminal misdemeanor you are okay if you only have one.

When you apply for your Tennessee license they will ask if you have been convicted of DUI. I would find out if you can truthfully say “Noâ€.

Guest DEROARK

Back to the LCP. I have one for carry (among others) but it is no fun at the range. It actually makes my trigger finger bleed after 25 rounds. It is great for SD but I would start with something you can have fun at the range with. Para Carry LDA 9?